Favorite Houston Skyscraper

TxDave

This topic has likely been raised before, but Houston has such great architecture I think it is worthy of more discussion.

Please share your favorite skyscrapers!

DT- Toss up between Heritage Plaza and BoA- both are unique and unlikely to be cookie cutter type architecture. i remember in '86 the laser light show Houston had with Heritage as its canvas. It was awesome! BoA is brilliant in its modern adaptation of Gothic architecture- and the coloring makes it even more interesting. I wonder if it would be as fascinating if the architect went with a bland grey or slate.

MT- The new Memorial tower is going to be my favorite. I like the "new" crown look that many highrises are getting these days. I don't know if i like the crown to seem incongruent to the building-but when incorporated into the design and lit at night...... i think it is impressive.

UT- Hands down- Williams Tower. I think that tower would look good anywhere. It would be neat to see how it would fair superimposed into Houston's DT. Would it get lost (being third tallest) or stand out?

i am glad Hines chose to put it where he did. No competition from other highrises for decades to come.

That being said, 1500 Louisiana (someone called it Enron II, so it sticks with me) is to me, one of the most impressive "baby brothers" of an earlier skyscraper. Pelli outdid himself with that one. I often think of Williams Tower as a modern version of the Empire State Building in its stateliness. As we know, Empire was a less glamourous version of Art Deco (i.e. Chrystler Building) but gets so much recognition because of its heighth, yes, BUT also because of its location. Look at it.......not many highrises around to match it. Even if 20+ 30-40 story highrises surround Williams, it is still going to stand proud for decades.

Also- besides its heighth......could someone point out the merits of the tallest Houston tower formerly known as Texas Commerce Tower? I TRY to like it, but find it rather dull. Enlighten me. :ph34r:

m.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Humble Building!

Yeah, I know it's not the best looking building downtown. In fact, I think it is somewhat of an eyesore. But, the Humble Building was such a huge deal when it was being built in the late 50s and early 60s. It was the beginning of Houston's "coming of age", with Houston taking its place among the country's most important cities.

Perhaps other buildings played a similar role in their day, like the Gulf Building. But the Humble Building is within my Life experience, and that's why it is of such importance to me.

1500 Louisiana - looks it's best between dusk and dawn.

BTW - Chevron owns 1500 Louisiana and just leased all of 1400 Smith. Hopefully people will stop referring to them as the Enron buildings now. The less heard of that name the better...

Heritage Plaza - to me it looks like an old building trying to shed it's modern skin. Very unusual.

Esperson building - an oldie but a goodie.

• 4 weeks later...
while making the most of a difficult site (an exisiting building could not be demolished to build BOA, and is contained within it).

I've heard this too. More specificaly, the bldg was at the northeast corner of the block. Can someone tell me what this building was and why it could NOT be demolished.

I've heard this too. More specificaly, the bldg was at the northeast corner of the block. Can someone tell me what this building was and why it could NOT be demolished.

It was the central Western Union office for Houston. Because of the expense involved in rerouting all of the communication cables from this site to another, it was cheaper to leave it where it was.

• 5 weeks later...

What is your favorite Houston skyscraper, and why?

It's a toss up between the Bank of America building and the Esperson building. I like BOA for its outward design and the interesting inside features like the rare woods in the elevators and I like the Esperson for it's more historical feel and those fantastic urns up on the fifth (I think its the fifth) floor ledge.

Another favorite is the Wortham Tower over in the American General complex. Since I have recently been enjoying all things 50's/60's, this building impresses me because it still had that feel in the lobby areas, bathrooms, etc, without appearing seedy. They keep the building up pretty well for it's age I think. I also really like the view you get from the mezzanine level across that tarmac to the building directly behind it. Classic 60s wide open spaces. Love it.

Finally on the list I would have to say the bank building at 700 or so Main. It is a great example of art deco inside in the elevators and railing details with lots of the frozen fountain theme going on. Plus it has that fantastic stained glass window in the bank lobby.

What is your favorite Houston skyscraper, and why?

Another favorite is the Wortham Tower over in the American General complex. Since I have recently been enjoying all things 50's/60's, this building impresses me because it still had that feel in the lobby areas, bathrooms, etc, without appearing seedy. They keep the building up pretty well for it's age I think. I also really like the view you get from the mezzanine level across that tarmac to the building directly behind it. Classic 60s wide open spaces. Love it.

Good call on the Wortham Tower, and the classic 60s spaces. The front lobby is cluttered with security and a bank, but the rear lobby is one of the best modern spaces in Houston for my money.

Good call on the Wortham Tower, and the classic 60s spaces.

Thanks. I have worked as a courier for about ten years and have probably been in every building downtown and in the outlying areas at one time or another. I've always loved architecture and use my job as an opportunity to see a lot of things people don't always get to see...like that nifty art collection on the upper floors of the Chase Tower, the Gargoyles high up on the Rice Hotel, or that secret house behind the high wall at the corner of Alabama and Edloe..which some say belonged to Kenneth Schnitzer. I love downtown Houston and are very interested in the old architecture of the city since Houston doesn't seem to treasure it so much as some other places do. There are a lot of cool things in this city if you just know where to look for them.

I don't know which hospital, but the twin caps in the Texas Medical Center are kind of a throw back to something you might see in "gotham city"

Anything is better than a cube. :rolleyes:

I think you mean the Methodist towers.

When it (they?) were first built, some people referred to it as the "Madonna Towers", because of the two pointy things...

To me, it looks like twin hypodermic needles, which seems appropriate.

• 2 months later...
I think you mean the Methodist towers.

When it (they?) were first built, some people referred to it as the "Madonna Towers", because of the two pointy things...

To me, it looks like twin hypodermic needles, which seems appropriate.

I think you mean St. Luke's Professional Building.

Good call on the Wortham Tower, and the classic 60s spaces.

Thanks. I have worked as a courier for about ten years and have probably been in every building downtown and in the outlying areas at one time or another. I've always loved architecture and use my job as an opportunity to see a lot of things people don't always get to see...like that nifty art collection on the upper floors of the Chase Tower, the Gargoyles high up on the Rice Hotel, or that secret house behind the high wall at the corner of Alabama and Edloe..which some say belonged to Kenneth Schnitzer. I love downtown Houston and are very interested in the old architecture of the city since Houston doesn't seem to treasure it so much as some other places do. There are a lot of cool things in this city if you just know where to look for them.

What company do you work for? I worked for Hot Shot briefly.

• 4 weeks later...

My favorites are

1. the BoA Building, because of the distinctiveness it adds to the Houston skyline.

2. the Pennzoil Plaza, because of its contribution to modern architecture.

3. the Williams Tower for the sleekness of its facade,

4. the Niels Esperson Building I find to be the nicest of the older buildings, although I do think that the Mellie Esperson Building does not really fit in with it.

About the Medical Center: the Houston Architectural Guide is scathing in its criticism of the Med Center, from p. 82: "... the Texas Medical Center comes as a shock. The lesson in civic decorum that Main Boulevard offers has gone unheeded here. In this district devoted to human well-being, contempt for the environment prevails, reducing the dense cluster of hospital, teaching, and research, office, hotel, and parking buidings to a competitive, hostile, and - to outsiders - incoherent agglomeration, garnished around the edges with inconsequential bits of suburban shrubbery. The act of vandalism that the medical center's administrative agency [...] committed in 1987 when it demolished one of the Houston's most popular landmarks, the Shamrock Hotel, bespeaks the elementary failure of this public institution to accept the responsibility of citizenship, of being part of the city. [...]"

Any thoughts on this?

About the Medical Center: the Houston Architectural Guide is scathing in its criticism of the Med Center, from p. 82: "... the Texas Medical Center comes as a shock. The lesson in civic decorum that Main Boulevard offers has gone unheeded here. In this district devoted to human well-being, contempt for the environment prevails, reducing the dense cluster of hospital, teaching, and research, office, hotel, and parking buidings to a competitive, hostile, and - to outsiders - incoherent agglomeration, garnished around the edges with inconsequential bits of suburban shrubbery. The act of vandalism that the medical center's administrative agency [...] committed in 1987 when it demolished one of the Houston's most popular landmarks, the Shamrock Hotel, bespeaks the elementary failure of this public institution to accept the responsibility of citizenship, of being part of the city. [...]"

Any thoughts on this?

Yes. Sounds like Stephen Fox is making a harsh blanket judgement upon an entire area and all the buildings that comprise it based upon the act of a single entity (one of over forty). There are a lot of excellent works of architecture in the TMC that do not deserve to be associated with a single act of the Texas Medical Center, Inc.

Yes. Sounds like Stephen Fox is making a harsh blanket judgement upon an entire area and all the buildings that comprise it based upon the act of a single entity (one of over forty). There are a lot of excellent works of architecture in the TMC that do not deserve to be associated with a single act of the Texas Medical Center, Inc.

well granted that. But it's only one example he offers, he also criticizes the entire Medical Center as an urban space. When I was walking around there to take some pictures, I couldn't help agreeing, it seemed that the whole Center is a hodgepodge of randomly built buildings. Just take the newest building there. Does it really fit in with its surroundings? (Of course these are my personal impressions and highly subjective.) But what do you think about issues such as public transport, traffic and walkability there. I think there is still room for improvement there.

well granted that. But it's only one example he offers, he also criticizes the entire Medical Center as an urban space. When I was walking around there to take some pictures, I couldn't help agreeing, it seemed that the whole Center is a hodgepodge of randomly built buildings. Just take the newest building there. Does it really fit in with its surroundings? (Of course these are my personal impressions and highly subjective.) But what do you think about issues such as public transport, traffic and walkability there. I think there is still room for improvement there.

Yeah, the TMC is kind of a hodgepodge, but I dont' think that its a bad thing. Also, the newest building will probably look right at home by the time that Methodist and Texas Children's are done reshaping the Fannin/Main strip.

As far as public transport, traffic, and walkability, the TMC is pretty well hooked-up. Check out the skywalk grid in their master plan. It'll be considerably easier for people to cover large distances within the TMC than in any other urban area. Also, as much as Fox (and sometimes I) criticize the TMC, Inc. for particular decisions, they are in the unique position of being able to plan and execute transportation-related improvements and operations far more effectively than any other district of Houston could ever hope. They have money, widespread public/political support, and teeth.

As far as public transport, traffic, and walkability, the TMC is pretty well hooked-up. Check out the skywalk grid in their master plan. It'll be considerably easier for people to cover large distances within the TMC than in any other urban area. Also, as much as Fox (and sometimes I) criticize the TMC, Inc. for particular decisions, they are in the unique position of being able to plan and execute transportation-related improvements and operations far more effectively than any other district of Houston could ever hope. They have money, widespread public/political support, and teeth.

Well there is no doubt that the growth of the Texas Medical Center is quite an achievement (right now I'm reading an autobiographic account by Frederick Elliott, "The birth of the Texas Medical Center), but this can still be viewed seperately from its track record in architecture and urban design. As for public transport, I guess the Light Rail has improved things a lot for commuters, but I think there are still accessability issues for patients who have to drive in.

Well there is no doubt that the growth of the Texas Medical Center is quite an achievement (right now I'm reading an autobiographic account by Frederick Elliott, "The birth of the Texas Medical Center), but this can still be viewed seperately from its track record in architecture and urban design. As for public transport, I guess the Light Rail has improved things a lot for commuters, but I think there are still accessability issues for patients who have to drive in.

Light rail is good for the users of Smithlands parking lot and people coming in via the TMC Transit Center, but that's about it (and actually, if you looked at the cost per passenger for LRT vs. shuttlebus, I'm not sure that LRT would win out). I live within a half-mile of a station and within about a mile of the TMC...I can even hear the horn at night, but it still doesn't make much sense to walk & ride. I still drive & park. Saves lots of time.

Light rail is good for the users of Smithlands parking lot and people coming in via the TMC Transit Center, but that's about it (and actually, if you looked at the cost per passenger for LRT vs. shuttlebus, I'm not sure that LRT would win out). I live within a half-mile of a station and within about a mile of the TMC...I can even hear the horn at night, but it still doesn't make much sense to walk & ride. I still drive & park. Saves lots of time.

hm, well I hear from med students that they are not allowed to park nearby anyways, and if I understand correctly the same goes for nurses too (?). Is this true, I am just curious what the situation for commuters is really like at the TMC. As for Light rail, I know a lot of Rice students too who use the Light rail (one even doesn't have a car and always goes grocery shopping to the Randall's in Midtown (!) ), but I guess it only makes sense for some complexes near the stations.

• 3 months later...

Regarding this debate between rail service, the Texas Medical Center (TMC) growth, and whether I see TMC growing because of light rail, or vice versa...

To me it seems obvious - the Texas Medical Center has been growing for several years, this growth will continue regardless of rail. On the other hand, the new Metro Rail service only helps to accelerate that growth.

As it stands, the new rail lines help people get to their jobs at TMC, but ultimately the expanded access should help TMC continue to grow beyond its current boundaries.

So the original answer is Both! rail service helps TMC grow and TMC growth creates more rail service.

• 4 weeks later...

TxDave:

I love to JPMCT. I just find some other towers appeal to me more, making it not my #1 favorite. I think its significant in the skyline, and while its not the belle of the ball, it looks good to me. Its hard to realize how tall it is, unless you can see it from the base to the roof. I love the cut in the southwest corner, it adds character. But many people are not fans of the 70s/80s box.

I don't mind the JPMCT as a PART of Houston's skyline. I just wish we would get another 1000+ footer to offset it being the tallest skyscraper (i.e., very noticable) in Houston. To me, this building symbolizes what i think tends to be "wrong" with Houston architecture. Now, before i get slammed by many of you HAIFers for saying this, i will explain. By looking at my past posts, you all know i LOVE H-town and all of her potential. BUT, the JPMCT being our tallest marks some of the blandness which i feel sometimes Houston conveys. Perhaps if the Bank of Southwest Tower were built along with it, then it wouldn't bug me so much. But, on three of its angles, it is pretty boring. Yes, it harkens to a particular time period in H-town's history, but the fact that it remains a focal point in Houston's skyline....just bugs me. I mean, i look at the BoA tower. That's bold! A gamble, yes. But a gamble that i feel paid off. Not too many people dislike the building even if they don't like Neo-Gothic. And the Williams Tower screams innovative with its classic Art Deco design; and then add its location. NOW you have an icon. Even the former Enron twins evoke a sort of futuristic feel. But the JPMCT just seems.......... boring. Like the architects focused on the height at the expense of aesthetic beauty.

OK, let me have it!

m. :D

I find JPMT looks like a boring rectangle from some angles, but from other angles (from the south west?) you see that angled corner and it looks sort of cool. So it really depends where you are looking at it from.

TxDave:

I love to JPMCT. I just find some other towers appeal to me more, making it not my #1 favorite. I think its significant in the skyline, and while its not the belle of the ball, it looks good to me. Its hard to realize how tall it is, unless you can see it from the base to the roof. I love the cut in the southwest corner, it adds character. But many people are not fans of the 70s/80s box.

I don't mind the JPMCT as a PART of Houston's skyline. I just wish we would get another 1000+ footer to offset it being the tallest skyscraper (i.e., very noticable) in Houston. To me, this building symbolizes what i think tends to be "wrong" with Houston architecture. Now, before i get slammed by many of you HAIFers for saying this, i will explain. By looking at my past posts, you all know i LOVE H-town and all of her potential. BUT, the JPMCT being our tallest marks some of the blandness which i feel sometimes Houston conveys. Perhaps if the Bank of Southwest Tower were built along with it, then it wouldn't bug me so much. But, on three of its angles, it is pretty boring. Yes, it harkens to a particular time period in H-town's history, but the fact that it remains a focal point in Houston's skyline....just bugs me. I mean, i look at the BoA tower. That's bold! A gamble, yes. But a gamble that i feel paid off. Not too many people dislike the building even if they don't like Neo-Gothic. And the Williams Tower screams innovative with its classic Art Deco design; and then add its location. NOW you have an icon. Even the former Enron twins evoke a sort of futuristic feel. But the JPMCT just seems.......... boring. Like the architects focused on the height at the expense of aesthetic beauty.

OK, let me have it!

m. :D

I think that's a fair assessment. I believe that JCMCT was considered somewhat boring even when it was built. I like the angled facade, but the other four sides are just grids of windows. Pretty boring.

Archived