Crosby school District and the four day school week

trymahjong

1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

I was puzzled ( go smacked) that after hours, days, weeks and months of consideration .......a four day school week was the solution?

As far as I know this is partly to entice more teachers to go to Crosby. There's a short supply of teachers right now, so it makes sense. We'll see if it works as intended. 

Supply of teachers?

I wonder what percentage is number of administrators to teachers🧐

Every Crosby administrator has at least a Bachelor degree  in Education.........these qualified  persons couldn't'step into the classroom🤨

and of course a creative way to increase teachers salary (😏 oh my$ always hard to discuss) by  say ......an ad valorem tax?.....probably would be overall less money for parents who must now pay for childcare? ...... any school, county or city "tempus tributum" could have been brought force? Any Crosby administrator contemplating raising teachers salaries 🥰to draw in more teachers?

guess not, since 4 day week was pass by vote to be the correct solution.

but....dare I even bring it up? ..😟.....surely my "elder" brain isn't the only one to wonder about this......Did Crosby school board try anything  " innovative" " out of the box" ideas?

Perhaps  sponsoring ( vetting, supporting) degreed educators that are Among the kazillion immigrants that come over the boarder looking for a new chance. Seriously that rare thing  ( Hope regular ole people hoping to find a job in education) does exist......Teachers and Education Counselors and School principals ARE  part of those immigrants......…………………any outreach from Crosby?…………probably never occurred to them……………A four day school week was what they settled on………hmmmm why?🫤

four-day school week is a much more complicated, chaotic event than people think

sigh

On 2/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, trymahjong said:

four-day school week is a much more complicated, chaotic event than people think

sigh

I've seen a bunch of school districts in a bunch of states implementing this over the last two years.  I think it's too soon to say if it's a good idea or a bad idea.

I remember that one school district noted that the cost savings didn't come from teachers and administrators, because they're salaried, but from reductions in other areas: Janitorial services, security, transportation, electricity and other utilities.  I seem to recall that school buses were a big chunk of one district's projected savings.

Of course, it's a burden for the parents who now have to figure out what to do with their kids on that odd weekday.  But I don't think it's as widespread a burden as most people assume.  The days of 99% of the country working 9-5 M-F are long behind us.  It's not just the recent work-from-home or four-day-workweek trend, this goes back decades to America's shift to a service economy. 

People who work M-F very often don't think about all the millions of baristas, waiters, cooks, shopgirls, police officers, utility workers, and a million other professions that service them on their days off.  According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 32½% of Americans workers have to work at least one weekend day.  That means they're home an extra day during the week.  Hopefully their employers will be flexible enough to let that day match their kids' extra day off of school.