222 W 11th St

IntheKnowHouston

November 2022 Streetview images of 222 W 11th St.

A 2,368 sf structure sits on the property occupied by Chivos, a contemporary Mexican-American restaurant.

Jozzie’s Mobile Home Park occupied the property, which was demolished in 2017. The demolition made way for a new restaurant, which was built from the ground up.

Mexican restaurant Calle Onze opened at 222 W 11th St in 2018. It later closed in the fall of 2021. Chivos replaced Calle Onze in late 2021.

3mfcOAK.jpg

KOp8pg3.jpg

Uc9W8EY.jpg

hWtZSRg.jpg

4XWXBGZ.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Chivos, the contemporary Mexican-American restaurant at 222 W 11th St, closed its doors recently. The closure happened some time between January and February.

Eater Houston noted the closing in its list of notable restaurant and bar closings in 2023:

"This once lively Heights hot spot quietly shuttered after the new year, discreetly wiping all Instagram posts, and replacing its page bio with a simple message: RIP. Since opening in 2021, replacing the pre-existing Calle Onze, the restaurant was among the city’s most exciting newcomers — even being named one of the best Mexican restaurants in the country, according to Thrillist. Founder of Belly of the Beast, chef Thomas Bille was at the helm, until he parted ways with the restaurant last fall, and it appears its fate was sealed soon after. What is planned for the prime real estate that neighbors Eight Row Flint at the corner of Yale and E. 11th St. in the Heights, remains to be seen."

https://houston.eater.com/23550172/houston-restaurant-closures-2023

10 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Chivos, the contemporary Mexican-American restaurant at 222 W 11th St, closed its doors recently. The closure happened some time between January and February.

Eater Houston noted the closing in its list of notable restaurant and bar closings in 2023:

"This once lively Heights hot spot quietly shuttered after the new year, discreetly wiping all Instagram posts, and replacing its page bio with a simple message: RIP. Since opening in 2021, replacing the pre-existing Calle Onze, the restaurant was among the city’s most exciting newcomers — even being named one of the best Mexican restaurants in the country, according to Thrillist. Founder of Belly of the Beast, chef Thomas Bille was at the helm, until he parted ways with the restaurant last fall, and it appears its fate was sealed soon after. What is planned for the prime real estate that neighbors Eight Row Flint at the corner of Yale and E. 11th St. in the Heights, remains to be seen."

https://houston.eater.com/23550172/houston-restaurant-closures-2023

According to a post in a local Facebook group, another concept is opening in Chivos' former 222 W 11th St digs.

Best Regards aims to open this spring.

I'm not entirely sure if it is a bar, bar & grill, restaurant, supperclub / vibe dining, or a club. The descriptor on their Instagram includes social club (it was previously listed as a drinking club). 

Best Regards is from the newly formed hospitality group Midnight Therapy Hospitality. I think the team behind Best Regards has no affiliation with Chivos.

https://bestregardshou.com

https://www.instagram.com/bestregardshou

• Like 1

So I am a little torn - I don't think either of the tex-mex concepts in this location were every especially great. A couple good standout items at each but I don't have a ton of love loss. That said, as an Allston St resident I am very excited that this clutch location is getting a new tenant fairly quickly. Hoping its home to great food, drinks and staff. The heights really is loyal to consistently good businesses.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BigRed said:

So I am a little torn - I don't think either of the tex-mex concepts in this location were every especially great. A couple good standout items at each but I don't have a ton of love loss. That said, as an Allston St resident I am very excited that this clutch location is getting a new tenant fairly quickly. Hoping its home to great food, drinks and staff. The heights really is loyal to consistently good businesses.

Calle Onze was really good in its first year.  I brought big time out of town foodie guest who had traveled extensively in Mexico to Calle Onze and they would not shut up about how good it was.  But then the restaurant seemed to change direction and started chasing the Midtown club/instagram influencer crowd.  Chivas was really expensive.  It followed a similar trajectory and was pretty good when it debuted, but quality did not hold up and the focus seemed to instead be on having more of a midtown atmosphere with pretty people.  

I think it is pretty tough to maintain a really good restaurant in a market like the Heights now.  Rents are out of control.  It is really hard to staff up.  You have to compete with places like Squable, Trattoria Sofia, Coltivare and new comers like Dinnette and Da Gama.  If you are not able to pack it in Thursday through Sunday and get pretty close to full midweek, you are not going to last long in the Heights.  

• Like 1

I strongly believe we need more fast casual options that will get more daily patronage from locals than these places that sell $39 entrees. I really hope that not everything needs to be elevated just to pay rent.  For example, why don’t we have a poké place or any Colombian food? A place like Mi Pueblito would kill it out here 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, emmanume said:

I strongly believe we need more fast casual options that will get more daily patronage from locals than these places that sell $39 entrees. I really hope that not everything needs to be elevated just to pay rent.  For example, why don’t we have a poké place or any Colombian food? A place like Mi Pueblito would kill it out here 

Funny thing is that Dish Society is pretty empty for dinner compared to when it first opened.  Food is good and it is counter service with really good mixed drinks and wine.  Not cheap, but relatively affordable for an easy weeknight meal.  

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/best-regards-new-bar-lounge-heights-morgan-hansen/

A prime Heights space will soon be home to a new bar and lounge. Best Regards will open this spring in the former Chivos space at 222 W. 11th St.

Founded by commercial real estate veteran Morgan Hansen, Best Regards will serve people looking for an upscale bar and lounge. Patrons of Best Regards will dine on shareable plates, sip cocktails, and enjoy music by DJs and other performers.

“I’m very excited to bring a new, elevated bar experience to the Heights and deliver premium cocktails in a beautifully designed space,” Hansen said in a statement. “Mixed with a rotating roster of international DJs, live music, and an international tapas menu that transitions from brunch to late night, our social lounge will be a must visit Houston destination. 

The bar’s design will be anchored by a central bar. Inside, patrons will find “intimate seating vignettes built for conversation,” according to a release. A covered patio will give the outdoor seating all-weather utility.

In addition to an extensive selection of cocktails, beverage options will include wine, champagne, and non-alcoholic drinks. Food options will consist of shareable, snackable plates such as charcuterie, bruschetta, and other Mediterranean-inspired, tapas-style dishes. Brunch will be served on the weekends.

“We’re working with a team of top-notch Houston nightlife veterans and will deliver an energetic all-day experience like no other found in Houston,” Hansen added. “We are very excited to showcase the team’s hard work and bring an electric energy to this prolific intersection of the Heights.”

Best Regards will join a thriving group of restaurants and bars on 11th Street. It will be located near establishments such as Eight Row Flint, Trattoria Sofia, Loro, and Dish Society. The Heights is home to a number of popular bars, including Heights Bier Garten, Johnny’s Gold Brick, Lei Low, and Permission Whiskey & Service Co.

3 hours ago, swishafisha said:

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/best-regards-new-bar-lounge-heights-morgan-hansen/

A prime Heights space will soon be home to a new bar and lounge. Best Regards will open this spring in the former Chivos space at 222 W. 11th St.

Founded by commercial real estate veteran Morgan Hansen, Best Regards will serve people looking for an upscale bar and lounge. Patrons of Best Regards will dine on shareable plates, sip cocktails, and enjoy music by DJs and other performers.

“I’m very excited to bring a new, elevated bar experience to the Heights and deliver premium cocktails in a beautifully designed space,” Hansen said in a statement. “Mixed with a rotating roster of international DJs, live music, and an international tapas menu that transitions from brunch to late night, our social lounge will be a must visit Houston destination. 

The bar’s design will be anchored by a central bar. Inside, patrons will find “intimate seating vignettes built for conversation,” according to a release. A covered patio will give the outdoor seating all-weather utility.

In addition to an extensive selection of cocktails, beverage options will include wine, champagne, and non-alcoholic drinks. Food options will consist of shareable, snackable plates such as charcuterie, bruschetta, and other Mediterranean-inspired, tapas-style dishes. Brunch will be served on the weekends.

“We’re working with a team of top-notch Houston nightlife veterans and will deliver an energetic all-day experience like no other found in Houston,” Hansen added. “We are very excited to showcase the team’s hard work and bring an electric energy to this prolific intersection of the Heights.”

Best Regards will join a thriving group of restaurants and bars on 11th Street. It will be located near establishments such as Eight Row Flint, Trattoria Sofia, Loro, and Dish Society. The Heights is home to a number of popular bars, including Heights Bier Garten, Johnny’s Gold Brick, Lei Low, and Permission Whiskey & Service Co.

What about the Heights lead these folks to believe that this is what was needed for this space?  Do they know that as soon as they crank up any live music or DJ they are going to get multiple nightly noise complaints and eventually get sued by neighbors for nuisance?  Do they know that as hard as they are going to try to make this the premiere night spot for all the pretty people in Houston, locating it in the Heights means they will get everyone from boomers to people with little kids in tow?  And even if they succeed in keeping the boomers and babies at bay, they will just end up with the same post-college crowd like in Shady Acres who just get cheap drinks and hang out for hours and hours.  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, s3mh said:

What about the Heights lead these folks to believe that this is what was needed for this space?  Do they know that as soon as they crank up any live music or DJ they are going to get multiple nightly noise complaints and eventually get sued by neighbors for nuisance?  Do they know that as hard as they are going to try to make this the premiere night spot for all the pretty people in Houston, locating it in the Heights means they will get everyone from boomers to people with little kids in tow?  And even if they succeed in keeping the boomers and babies at bay, they will just end up with the same post-college crowd like in Shady Acres who just get cheap drinks and hang out for hours and hours.  

I figured Best Regards would be a bar with a club-like atmosphere. Still, I hoped I was wrong. Like you, I don't see how this could work in that location for the same reasons listed.

It wouldn't be surprising if a few months in, the concept changes to more of a bar & grill (like Eight Row Flint and Onion Creek).   

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There is a website for Best Regards.

Best Regards is a bar opening soon in the Heights. It's located at 222 West 11th Street, previously home to Chivos restaurant.

https://www.bestregardshou.com

* For some reason, you can only find this forum topic in the search by typing in the address. Typing in "Best Regards," with or without quotes, provides zero results.

• 2 months later...

Over the weekend, architectural and design firm Studio Five shared a video of a project in progress. The name of the project or the precise location was not shown.  However, the text displayed in the Instagram story video included: "New Heights bar in progress."

By the looks of the video, the bar in progress appears to be Best Regards. Below are screenshots from the video.

Best Regards is a bar and/or club opening this year at 222 W 11th St.

1HttSue.jpg

NQRhUXN.jpg

FVQfgwg.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Best Regards opened last weekend at 222 W 11th St. CultureMap published an article about the opening earlier this week:

Best Regards has opened in the former Chivos space at 222 W 11th St. First announced in February, Best Regards is a stylish bar and lounge...Formerly a restaurant, the space has been transformed with a large, indoor bar, a fully landscaped patio, and plenty of greenery both indoors and out. Hansen has also added plus banquettes and brass accents. 

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/best-regards-bar-lounge-heights-open/