The lack of luxury hotels in Houston

1 hour ago, editor said:

Good to hear.  Houston is a little short on luxury hotel options, considering the city's size.  Especially near downtown. 

So none of the hotels that are in downtown are considered luxurious like the Marriott, Hilton etc? 

12 minutes ago, HOUCAJUN said:

Why are we so behind?

This is my hypothesis based on general observation living in Houston for 43 years. Houston until the 1990 relied heavily on its energy sector and to some degree the TMC. Thoughts of making this place attractive for conventions and competing  with other cities was not taken with any seriousness. Our downtown and midtown areas were a wasteland outside the gleaming office towers. The Rice hotel area and market square park were a trash filled urine odiferous areas. The bayou used to host the "reeking regata" which gives some idea of its past condition. This mercifully has changed. But perhaps the powers that be are not selling the amazing change which have occurred.

A hypothesis, not a theory.

• Like 5

On 2/2/2023 at 1:12 PM, Jas3 said:

So none of the hotels that are in downtown are considered luxurious like the Marriott, Hilton etc? 

Houston has only five 5-star hotels, and only one of them is downtown: the Four Seasons. The only other five star hotel remotely close to the area is La Colombe d'Or. The remaining three are in the Galleria Area.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Just curious -  whose star ratings are you looking at?

Google lists hotels by their star ratings. You can go to Maps and simply search for Five-star rated hotels, or search Google itself. Just search "Five star luxury hotels in Houston"

Edited by Big E

10 hours ago, Big E said:

Google lists hotels by their star ratings. You can go to Maps and simply search for Five-star rated hotels, or search Google itself. Just search "Five star luxury hotels in Houston"

Thank you.  In general, I don't disagree that we are a bit behind other cities with regard to luxury hotels, and would love to see more in and near our CBD, but we've been gaining ground and I don't think we're as far behind other similar cities as Haifers (and Houstonians in general) like to think.  Using the Google map search as the gauge, I did  a little comparison:

• Houston.  5 5-star hotels.  One downtown. One near downtown.
  • Austin.  Way ahead of us, considering the size differential.  Four 5-star hotels, all downtown.
  • Dallas.  3 5-star hotels, none downtown (two near downtown).
  • San Antonio.  3 5-star hotels, all downtown.
  • Atlanta.  6 5-star hotels.  One downtown. One near downtown.
  • Denver.  2 5-star hotels.  Both downtown.
  • Chicago. 9 5-star hotels.  None inside the loop. All nine are near the Loop (in the North Michigan Avenue/Magnificent Mile area).
  • Philadelphia.  4 5-star hotels.  All downtown.
  • Minneapolis.  1 5-star hotel.  Downtown.
  • Seattle.  1 5-star hotel.  Downtown.
  • Boston.  8 5-star hotels.  7 are in or near downtown.

I'd like to see us get up to the Chicago numbers.

Hopefully, the Thompson will achieve 5-star status.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Big E said:

Further to this topic, I personally wouldn't give much credence to Google Maps star ratings. Forbes Travel Guide and other such publications are better sources.  Forbes shows two 5-star hotels in the entire state of Texas.  1 in Houston (The Post Oak) and 1 in Dallas (The Ritz-Carlton).

Forbes 5-star and 4-star hotels:

• Boston:  5 5-star and 5 4-star
  • Chicago:  3 5-star and 3 4-star (all in Mag Mile area)
  • Houston:  1 5-star and 4 4-star
  • DFW:  1 5-star and 2 4-star 
  • Philadelphia:  1 5-star and 1 4-star
  • Seattle:  1 5-star and 1 4-star
  • Atlanta:  Zero 5-star; 3 4-star
  • Denver:  Zero 5-star; 2 4-star
  • Austin:  Zero 5-star; 5 4-star
  • San Antonio:  Zero 5-star; 1 4-star

Again, it looks like we're not as far behind as we routinely tell ourselves we are.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Let's take a look at AAA.

AAA 5 and 4-diamond hotels:

• Boston:  6 5-diamond hotels/25 4-diamond
  • Chicago:  2 5-diamond/39 4-diamond
  • Houston:  1 5-diamond/36 4-diamond
  • DFW:  Zero 5-diamond/35 4-diamond
  • Philadelphia:  1 5-diamond/12 4-diamond
  • Seattle:  Zero 5-diamond/25 4-diamond
  • Atlanta: 2 5-diamond/23 4-diamond
  • Denver:  2 5-diamond/18 4-diamond
  • Austin:  Zero 5-diamond/26 4-diamond
  • San Antonio: 1 5-diamond/17 4-diamond
Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Further to this topic, I personally wouldn't give much credence to Google Maps star ratings. Forbes Travel Guide and other such publications are better sources.  Forbes shows two 5-star hotels in the entire state of Texas.  1 in Houston (The Post Oak) and 1 in Dallas (The Ritz-Carlton).

Again, it looks like we're not as far behind as we routinely tell ourselves we are.

Huh. Forbes doesn't consider the St. Regis or Four Seasons to be 5-star? Interesting.

2 hours ago, Big E said:

Huh. Forbes doesn't consider the St. Regis or Four Seasons to be 5-star? Interesting.

^^^ the brand names alone, does not necessarily mean that the overall property has indeed earned the right to be called a "5-STAR" property.  it's all about patron amenities, customer service, location, restaurants, you name it... it has to have it all, to earn the ranking.  "5-STARS" do not rain down from heaven...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Good info

9 hours ago, NB_Brendan said:

Man, who cares about the number of 5-star hotels. Better off staying at a run of the mill Hilton for the price anyways! 

I agree, which is what I do. But the number of 5-star hotels is one measure of a city's power, "prestige", and overall appeal . Examples: Paris London, NYC vs Beaumont (being a bit facetious)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I agree, which is what I do. But the number of 5-star hotels is one measure of a city's power, "prestige", and overall appeal . Examples: Paris London, NYC vs Beaumont (being a bit facetious)

3 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I just see it as an indicator of non-business travel demand, plus easy tax money for the city.

I guess I see what y'all are saying. Houston just doesn't have a ton of touristy stuff to do really, which might be limiting the supply of boujee hotels. We've gotta invest in more "destinations" first before we can worry about the accommodations, I think. I also just didn't quite understand as someone who has never stayed in one why someone would splurge with those prices. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 1:12 PM, Jas3 said:

I didn't say there were none. I said there aren't many considering the size of Houston. 

Since you brought it up, no, the Hilton isn't a luxury hotel. I stayed there for a week, and can tell you that it's just an ordinary business hotel.  There is nothing special or luxurious about it. 

I have not stayed at the Marriott, so I offer no opinion on that. 

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 9:30 AM, Houston19514 said:

Using the Google map search as the gauge

Wait… Are there people who really believe that five stars on a social media platform is the same thing as a real five star rating?

56 minutes ago, EllenOlenska said:

With amusing regularity conversations on here remind me of the Frasier episode where Niles bemoans "A city this size and only three boites." 

Guilty!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NB_Brendan said:

Houston just doesn't have a ton of touristy stuff to do really, which might be limiting the supply of boujee hotels.

While tourism can be a driver, I don't think that tourists necessarily cause luxury hotels.  There are plenty of luxury hotels in non-touristy places.  Business happens everywhere.  Some businessmen are door-to-door salesman who are fine with an EconoLodge.  Some businessmen are C.F.O.'s, or company owners from other parts of the country or the world, who are used to something a little better than the basics.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, editor said:

While tourism can be a driver, I don't think that tourists necessarily cause luxury hotels.  There are plenty of luxury hotels in non-touristy places.  Business happens everywhere.  Some businessmen are door-to-door salesman who are fine with an EconoLodge.  Some businessmen are C.F.O.'s, or company owners from other parts of the country or the world, who are used to something a little better than the basics.

Expense account travelers sustain the high end hotels, steak houses, etc.  I had a client who was an importer of manufactured flooring from China.  It was a relatively small business, but profitable.  They were in California and had to come to Houston for mediation.  They probably spent more on the trip than on legal fees to get the lawsuit resolved.  But when you run a small business, that is how you get to live large.  You expense it all because you own the company and no one can tell you not to do it.  

It's a shame the Post Oak is basically a car-centered freeway trophy tower. With Fertita owning the Rockets, maybe he could build a hotel/condo tower downtown... The Live Oak. 

Downtown is really missing the high end hotel/condo tower. The Four Seasons doesn't cut it because those condos up top were originally corporate rentals. It seems as if the units at the Allen are selling. If you can sell multi-million dollar units next door to public housing, you could sell them downtown.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Big E said:

The star rating of the hotel is listed separately from the user rating sir.

I don't think it's accurate, though, because the post oak is advertised as the only 5 star hotel in Houston. All the other hotels must have dropped a star over the years.

2 hours ago, LosFeliz said:

It's a shame the Post Oak is basically a car-centered freeway trophy tower. With Fertita owning the Rockets, maybe he could build a hotel/condo tower downtown... The Live Oak. 

I guess it's a good thing he attached a dealership to the hotel.  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1