At 140K, within 2 miles, you might find a small (800-1000sf max) condo in a nice complex or a 1,400 s/f low end (but fairly new) house in a blue collar neighborhood like 77021 currently is...no place in America is like Tokoyo with safe walks at midnight (except on Rice campus) and then I'd be hesitant.

We moved into our build on your lot home in the 77021 MacGregor Park Estates Subdivision about 2 1/2 years ago. My sons' car window was broken last year because someone wanted his large CD collection he left out in plain view ..it was at night on the end of our driveway and we didn't hear it, but we think his new alarm will run the next burgular away. I also had my little storage building broken into and stuff was lifted. The thief was a crack head that was occassionally hired to wash the car of my neighbor across the street (they go way back) and the drugie observed me saving the lawn mower which he sold that afternoon. I caught him a week later when one night he was trying to take our patio set off the back porch...it's so funny (now) to think of when I got into my car to chase him down the boulevard with my bristo set on his back...(he was arrested). This was a few months right after we moved in and I hadn't yet put up the 7 1/2 ft fence that's up now. When I lived in the suburbs (border of Houston on the line of Missouri City), we were burgularized three times in 20 years...a high school was two blocks away that apparently kept recuiting new members that burgularized the area for almost a decade before it was finally broken up. It's just amazing how prevalent crime seems to be in Houston, everywhere..and the type I've experienced is by opportunist for fun, or money for drugs. Incidently, that 400 score is probably too low since we recently learned that the police dept. has been "unintentionally" classifying crimes in a manner that has it appearing to be at a lower rate than it is in actuality.

If you do eventually come near to 77021, and east of 288. I'd strongly suggest you stay north of Griggs Rd and Old Spanish Trail, and better to stay close to S MacGregor if you can find something decent for your budget. The west side of 288 is good immediately south and inside of 610 South Loop. A new development on Almeda Rd (just south of 610) has some nice condos just coming up that will have professionals most likely and it will be not more than 4 or 5 miles from Rice. I think they may fall into your budget. There are also some condos on 610 South Loop near Kirby that would be about 4 miles or less from Rice. These should not be too expensive although I honestly can't say what range they run.

My wife and I are both HISD employees (in our 50's) and my son goes to Rice U. We live in a 3,400 s/f $320K (tax roll) house on a 70X150 ft lot (which gives me big 40ft front yard and 40 ft back yard) three blocks southeast of U of H. We built here intending to stay another 15 or so years. The area has high dollar homes right along with rinky dinky 50-60 year old homes occupied with mostly older people around us. When I first moved in the area, I noticed more "crazy looking people" in general because there are pockets of drug dens and poverty in the area. One-on-one violent crime is unheard of to my knowledge in the area however, so unlike the guy that said he noticed violence in RT, I haven't seen or heard of any around this part, but then, I won't go walking ANY street in Houston after 9 or 10 PM unless it's an emergency. Much of the serious crime is apparently around us, heard and seen on the news, and if you're not involved with their sort of activities, then you'll proably not get involved with their crime either. The addresses you listed are typical of this area, really nice a few blocks and then somewhat ratty around the corner or down a few blocks......Have you used google satillite to get visuals of the areas of these addresses you listed? Closing should take about a couple weeks, three weeks at most I'd think, if everything checks out fine. Except for new condos along 288 near to these addresses, the old established neighborhoods are 80% to 90% predominatedly black, (like me) but that's changing as a more diversified wave of folks are returning to the inner city, in part by high fuel, but even before then, they, like us, came to realize, you may as well pay the higher inner city tax rates or spend replacing the car more often while spending more time stuck in traffic.

My husband and I are moving to Houston this summer. We don't know much about Houston but will be transfering because he was accepted to a Ph.D program at Rice. U. (never visited, I'm from Boston, he's from S. Oregon) I will be teaching high school, probably HISD. We don't have any children yet but have an active dog and we're tired of apartment life so would like to buy a house at least a few months after we move to Houston.

It seems like most of the homes we could afford (we will have about 20k for a down payment) and are close to Rice (under 2 miles) are across 288 in Riverside terrace, Wilmoth subd., etc. Mostly zip codes 77004 or 77021. Just by looking at HAR.com and ziprealty (etc.) I've noticed that there seems to be (at least on paper) a huge increase in crime stats. For example, on ziprealty they show a graph that shows these areas to have crime rates that are near 400, with 100 being the national average. Is it possible that the SFR areas I'm looking at have a lower crime rate and the apt/town-home areas have higher rates? I'm living in Tokyo now where I feel safe walking my dog past midnight so safety is important. However, I know we will have to make some sacrifices by choosing to live inside the loop near rice and not being able to afford places west of Rice (like West U.)

Any opinions?

Are there any other safer neighborhoods that sometime sell for under 140k that are about 2m or less from Rice?

Also, if financing goes smoothly what is the avg time it takes to close a house deal?

Here are the MLS numbers of some homes I'm interested in so far (though I think they will be gone by August...)

• 8855715 3205 CHARLESTON
  • 1913058 2605 ARBOR ST
  • 6948117 3010 SOUTHMORE BLVD
  • 4871043 2619 ROSEWOOD ST

{{{Also, from the other posts about these areas I've noticed that some people think race makes a difference in what kind of opinion they give soo... I'm half Japanese/half caucasian, my husband is caucasian. }}}

Thank you!

(((ps. If anyone knows anything about how prevalent dog stealing is in Houston (from backyards) can you tell me??)))

• 10 months later...

Philosopher George Santayana once wrote, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Two years ago my wife and I moved to the Riverside neighborhood of Houston, TX ignorant to the colorful history that some of my neighbors have witnessed over the years. Since then I have been researching the historical events that surround the Riverside neighborhood and have uncovered countless stories of racism, blockbusting, integration, "white flight", and regentrification.

Riverside is a neighborhood in transition. Several of my neighbors are elderly widows who struggle to maintain the exquisite homes of our neighborhood, while other vacant homes are surrounded by drug deals and prostitution. I have been blessed to be able to help those immediately around me, but see the need larger than one man. This is my plea:

Let's bring back the Riverside Neighborhood. Let us continue the legacy of community pride that others before us pioneered. Let us learn from our history to avoid repeating the same mistakes.

My wife and I are hosting a private viewing of "This Is Our Home, It Is Not For Sale" directed and produced by Jon Schwartz in our back yard on Saturday, May 30th at 6:30pm. This documentary composes of several interviews that tell the history of my/our Riverside neighborhood. This is a story that you don't want to miss. For more information about the movie, please go to www.thisisourhomeitisnotforsale.com.

We will be serving popcorn to all that can come, and having a 15 minute intermission for discussion during the movie. Please join us with your lawn chairs, picnic baskets, and blankets for a great movie under the stars. Space is limited, so please R.S.V.P. as soon as possible by sending me a message to matthewshawnmurphy@yahoo.com.

post-4903-1242269839_thumb.jpg

A bunch of us saw it when it was shown at MFAH last year.

Well, I understand that, but I don't look at this as a chance to only see the movie. I also see it as a chance to get to meet others who are wanting to make a change in the Riverside neighborhood. I really think this is the launch of something larger for the future of Riverside. Awareness first, then action.

Well, I understand that, but I don't look at this as a chance to only see the movie. I also see it as a chance to get to meet others who are wanting to make a change in the Riverside neighborhood. I really think this is the launch of something larger for the future of Riverside. Awareness first, then action.

We're already aware. Do you propose action?

Thank you RaptureMatt for making the effort, for the awareness of Riverside. I'm sorry that I cannot make it to the get-together. I'm going to purchase the cd. I too believe, as many others do, that more attention needs to be given to Riverside Terrace, for it's residential architectural contributions. I've been researching the subject these days, and I'm surprised how very little I've run across, as far as development information. I'm sure it's out there, just hidden. The Houston history books I have barely mention it. I need to go to the library, next.

Thank you RaptureMatt for making the effort, for the awareness of Riverside. I'm sorry that I cannot make it to the get-together. I'm going to purchase the cd. I too believe, as many others do, that more attention needs to be given to Riverside Terrace, for it's residential architectural contributions. I've been researching the subject these days, and I'm surprised how very little I've run across, as far as development information. I'm sure it's out there, just hidden. The Houston history books I have barely mention it. I need to go to the library, next.

Let me know about any research that you come up with. I have hopes of collecting all of the historical information to eventually go into a museum exhibit or the mini historical gallery in the community center we are trying to build.

Let me know about any research that you come up with. I have hopes of collecting all of the historical information to eventually go into a museum exhibit or the mini historical gallery in the community center we are trying to build.

will do...

Philosopher George Santayana once wrote, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Two years ago my wife and I moved to the Riverside neighborhood of Houston, TX ignorant to the colorful history that some of my neighbors have witnessed over the years. Since then I have been researching the historical events that surround the Riverside neighborhood and have uncovered countless stories of racism, blockbusting, integration, "white flight", and regentrification.

Riverside is a neighborhood in transition. Several of my neighbors are elderly widows who struggle to maintain the exquisite homes of our neighborhood, while other vacant homes are surrounded by drug deals and prostitution. I have been blessed to be able to help those immediately around me, but see the need larger than one man. This is my plea:

Let's bring back the Riverside Neighborhood. Let us continue the legacy of community pride that others before us pioneered. Let us learn from our history to avoid repeating the same mistakes.

My wife and I are hosting a private viewing of "This Is Our Home, It Is Not For Sale" directed and produced by Jon Schwartz in our back yard on Saturday, May 30th at 6:30pm. This documentary composes of several interviews that tell the history of my/our Riverside neighborhood. This is a story that you don't want to miss. For more information about the movie, please go to www.thisisourhomeitisnotforsale.com.

We will be serving popcorn to all that can come, and having a 15 minute intermission for discussion during the movie. Please join us with your lawn chairs, picnic baskets, and blankets for a great movie under the stars. Space is limited, so please R.S.V.P. as soon as possible by sending me a message to matthewshawnmurphy@yahoo.com.

Looks like we are going to have a good turnout. I hope all can make it.

• 2 years later...

Recently visited Greenwood Forest in northwest Harris County for the first time. Was surprised to find this well maintained up scaled quiet neighborhood just blocks off 1960 or Cypress Creek Parkway or Jack Rabbit Rd, depending on the age of those you talk too.

I have three former neighbors from Riverside Terrace who purchased homes in this area, I accepted an offer to drive the kids out for a pool party. The first thing that struck me was those trees and the well maintained yards. With 3 small kids the 20 mph traffic signs was a pleasant surprise. The homes are large and so are the yards and the prices are unbelievable.A few homes from my friends home, was a huge mansion with 4 car garage and pool on nearly half an acre for under 250k. Near my friends home is a stately English Tudor nearly 4000 sq ft, with pool on a 12000sq ft lot for around $170K. Really considering selling my old ranch style 50's home in Riverside Terrace and moving to Greenwood Forest. Checked out the schools Klein ISD, they are great .Do anyone know if this subdivision is a good buy or just too good to be true!

I think there are some great bargains in that part of the County. I lived in Greenwood Forest for a couple years back in '78-'80. Prices seem so low now I'm thinking of buying some for rentals.

You noted much of the positive. Add to that, most are custom built and (some) to a very high quality. The house I lived in had poured concrete floors on the second story.

I've heard the current trouble in the neighborhood is the schools. There are some bad areas zoned to those schools. I think they've built some sect 8 properties just to the south on Champion Forest Dr.

Also, for familes with young kids they are no sidewalks. Laid out in a grid pattern the neighborhood does see it's share of "cut through" traffic.

You might also check out Old Oaks (Spring ISD?), Champions, Memorial Northwest, Huntwick ect. Some bargains there also.

Agreed that the knock on Greenwood has always been which schools it was zoned to. Also, even though you find some excellent quality, the homes were built (according to a neighbor that was living in area in early 70's) by a multitude of builders so you have to really look at each one individually. If you are looking for a great neighborhood with excellent schools, look just across 1960 to Huntwick. We have several friends living there and they love it because of the kid friendly environment and activities.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Why does it take so long for the city of Houston to raze dangerous buildings. This eyesore surrounded by some of the most beautiful homes along South Macgregor has sit for years, racking up citation after citation. The city need to step in and tear it down, its is unsafe and beyond the stage where it could be renovated.

post-3833-0-67748300-1338227100_thumb.jp

Edited by spikey2

Reported several times. Owner notified . Only action by the owner was to have someone board up opeings that were broken into. They even used an old interior door to board up a front window. Owner has stopped having yard mowed, city keeps putting yellow violation notices but haven't stepped in to take it down. Maybe they will soon, an abandoned home on Prospect off N Macgregor was recently taken down on behalf of the city after years of compliants from neighbors.

Based on the experiences our neighborhood had with two different properties, the pictured home will have to be literally crumbling in on itself before Neighborhood Protection will really concentrate on getting the place demolished.

I'm talking roof caved in, walls with gaping holes or sections of walls completely missing. It will speed things up if there are reports of drug activity taking place in the building. Even better, photograph and document the drug happenings.

The owner will have to answer to the complaints, he will be urged to demolish the place himself or, if the city has to do it, he will be billed for the cost.

There will also be a public hearing where concerned neighbors and civic groups can speak and which the owner or his representative is expected to attend . It is a lengthy process.

Edited by little frau

Have you tried contacting your city councilor? I recently had an issue with a neighbor's trash in the street. After calling and reporting on-line to code enforcement, to little/no result, I sent emails to my councilor, all of the at-large councilors, the Mayor and the new Department of Neighborhoods. The responses were quite good. Worth giving it a try.

Yes, contact your councilperson, that is a very good start. But also document everything everytime you call it in. Take photos. Send emails to all you can think of that might be able to help. The civic association absolutely must get involved.

Still, the city has steps to follow. They will cover their tracks. And be glad that they do work slowly because it is also a matter of property rights, regardless of where the owner lives.

COH will not go out and knock down a home/building/apartments without thorough investigation.

All that said, I agree that it looks as if the home could be saved. Perhaps the owner owes more than the home is worth.