I just got done seeing this house. Its best feature is its exterior. The living room is pretty good, too. The rest of house is rather confusing, though, and the house seems really small from the inside.

Someone started doing some work, so there is sheetrock missing in a lot of places, and paint splattered on the inside brick and paneling, which is a shame. The house needs complete renovation.

It's actually not nearly as good of a house as the one on S. Macgregor that just sold for $152,000. That one was interesting and had a lot of neat features, including a much better layout. This one needs about as much work but without the payoff of original terrazzo floors, walls of glass, and a great cantilevered entry.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a native Houstonian all of my life. I LOVE this city. Having traveled all over the Americas, I have been to no other city I enjoy more. That being said, I have decided to take the 'plunge' and BUY my own piece of Houston.

Recently on my search for the right home, I discovered an area called Riverside Terrace. I am wondering from a financial investment standpoint, what the future of this neighborhood is? Is buying in this area good or bad? :blink:

Is it a bad idea to move in this neighborhood? I should preface that with the fact that I am a young, white, Gay male and would be living in this House alone, possibly with a roommate, or eventually a partner. From what I have seen so far in talking to neighborhood home owners, they love this area and seem to think I would have no problems in the area being white - however, I did not explain my sexual orientation.

Any feedback or thoughts are appreciated.

I am a first time home buyer, in love with this area - seeking the help of other Houstonians - looking to make an informed buying decision.

I am fascinated with this area because it is only 8 minutes from down town - and seems decently maintained. Like it's protected by a bubble. The landscapes are not professionally maintained, as in River Oaks - but lovingly maintained to home owners trying to hold on to what seems to be their pride and joy.

The home in particular that I am looking at is not in the flood plain, and the demographics for 77021 are 82% black, 8% white, and misc. the rest of the way... your thoughts, comments and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

My two cents:

Many of us have traveled down the same path as you, but have reach different conclusions (see my thread at http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...mp;hl=eastwood). For example, I have few (white) friends who have purchased homes in Riverside Terrace and general they like where they are. Some have had great luck, while others have had less positive experiences.

We looked at a fixer-upper on Prospect Street, near 288. The house needed a ton of work, but had great potential. All the homes on the street were large and well-maintained. However, we felt very uneasy there. Can't really describe it, just a general feeling that we weren't wanted. I'm white, but my partner is black, and so I figured nobody would mind me being there, LOL. We spoke to a number of the neighbors, asking what they knew about the house. OMG, not friendly at all...couldn't wait to get us off their porch. I was a bit confused by it at first, but my partner knew why. He describes the problem with RT along the lines of his people being generally suspicious of white people moving in (which I expected), but really the issue is the gay thing, which is more cultural than generational. If you are single, they don't really know you are gay, so you are problably fine.

I think RT has tons of potential. Love the homes, the terrain, etc. But I never did feel welcome there. Eastwood seems to be our fit, though on the outside it isn't as clean and well-maintained as RT is.

ETA: We were looking in the 77004 section of RT, not 77021. Things might be different in 77021, though I suspect not.

Edited by travelguy_73

This is a bit racially charged, but I will try to give my opinion as delicately as possible. FYI, I am white and straight, but have been mistaken for gay by most people my whole adult life. I also am a native Houstonian and love the city. I think you will be just fine in Riverside Terrace, but I base that on my own experience and my comfort level when I am in a neighborhood where I am a minority. I have never lived in that particular neighborhood.

I can't tell you how to "behave" in your own life, but I might suggest, that you learn about and be very respectful of the history, traditions and current residents of the neighborhood you choose. This doesn't mean you have to give up any of your own identity, but be prepared to interact with people who are "different" than you are. Although its not politically correct, I think there are clearly some differences between blacks and whites, gays and straights, rich and poor, men and women, etc... Forget politically correct...the differences are what make us interesting and what makes city living rewarding!!!

Gay people and black people are both minorities and both groups have suffered oppression and discrimination in this country. That is something that you hold in common which I think is a good foundation for being tolorant of others (and each other). I think that is a plus. My experince in living adjacent to Freedman's town in Houston for many years and staying in Harlem in New York for many years is that the black community takes a great deal of pride in their neighborhoods. The problem is that there is frequently a lack of resources that the community has access to. So, the neighborhood frequently looks "bad" even though the community is tightly knit and looks out for each other. Like any neighborhood, there is always a risk of crime and in a depressed neighborhood perhaps moreso, but there is also the chance to buy much more house for less. I suggest you don't be afraid to try that neighborhood. That location is very nice and the value will continue to rise in my opinion.

Support the businesses, join the civic club if there is one, introduce yourself to your neighbors! If you make an effort to fit in and be respectful of the residents and businesses there, I think it will come back to you. Be mindful though...its the big city...which means wherever you are you should lock your doors, watch your back and not let your guard completely down.

One more thing...if you still want to consider other neighborhoods...you might take a look in Glenbrook Valley. We looked in Riverside Terrace, but opted for GV. Its a VERY interesting neighborhood with great 1950s architecture, a very active civic club and LOTS of potential. And, its CHEAP and 10 minutes from downtown. Good luck!!!

I have been a native Houstonian all of my life. I LOVE this city. Having traveled all over the Americas, I have been to no other city I enjoy more. That being said, I have decided to take the 'plunge' and BUY my own piece of Houston.

Recently on my search for the right home, I discovered an area called Riverside Terrace. I am wondering from a financial investment standpoint, what the future of this neighborhood is? Is buying in this area good or bad? :blink:

Is it a bad idea to move in this neighborhood? I should preface that with the fact that I am a young, white, Gay male and would be living in this House alone, possibly with a roommate, or eventually a partner. From what I have seen so far in talking to neighborhood home owners, they love this area and seem to think I would have no problems in the area being white - however, I did not explain my sexual orientation.

Any feedback or thoughts are appreciated.

I am a first time home buyer, in love with this area - seeking the help of other Houstonians - looking to make an informed buying decision.

I am fascinated with this area because it is only 8 minutes from down town - and seems decently maintained. Like it's protected by a bubble. The landscapes are not professionally maintained, as in River Oaks - but lovingly maintained to home owners trying to hold on to what seems to be their pride and joy.

The home in particular that I am looking at is not in the flood plain, and the demographics for 77021 are 82% black, 8% white, and misc. the rest of the way... your thoughts, comments and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

My two cents on this...

1.) No rivers.

2.) No terrace.

...Riverside terrace has been a place "about to turn" for a decade+ now. If you like bungalows, and the general feel of that type of neighboorhood, consider Idylwood (and just hope you don't need a lot of closet space). It still has deed restrictions, which so far, has limited the intrusion of townhomes into the neighborhood (a few old homes have been leveled, but large single family houses went up in their place). Idylwood too expensive, consider Country Club place, just around the corner. Places that do not have restrictions (which specify set backs and minimum lot size), that look desirable now, are at great risk of losing their appeal/character (if that is what you are going for). If you like large 50's modern homes, consider Glenbrook Valley - Section 1. Urban Lofts has invaded parts of Riverside Terrace/77004. If you still really want to live in 77004, consider Timber Crest (not Timbercrest).

Also check out Riverside/77021. We have not had the townhome intrusion on this side of the bayou yet, and we also have a few neighbors who are the same demographic as you (GWM), and they must like it, as they've been here over 20 years.

I live in Riverside Terrace and love it. Can't believe I'm able to live inside the loop 2.5 miles from my job in the Med center, and everything else Houston has to offer.

Not sure about the Riverside/77004, but Riverside/77021 has a few "white" people. There are two households with neighbors I know that are gay, there maybe more. In the last year three White families have moved into houses in the neighborhood. None with children at least two with same sex occupants - does this mean they are gay ?? In answer to your question You would be very welcome here. You have to feel comfortable being in the minority, have humility and have respect for the history, also come with an open mind you'll be fine.

Riverside/77021 has a few "white" people. There are two households with neighbors I know that are gay, there maybe more. In the last year three White families have moved into houses in the neighborhood. None with children at least two with same sex occupants - does this mean they are gay ?? In answer to your question You would be very welcome here. You have to feel comfortable being in the minority, have humility and have respect for the history, also come with an open mind you'll be fine.

On the comment about there being no same sex couples with children in the neighborhood, I saw a lesbian couple last week at the Local Voting Precint Caucus Convention with their son. Perhaps there are more, but we do have such families here in our "hood".

On the comment about there being no same sex couples with children in the neighborhood, I saw a lesbian couple last week at the Local Voting Precint Caucus Convention with their son. Perhaps there are more, but we do have such families here in our "hood".

Good to know! Thanks for the info.

Fantastic! Thank you SO much for the imput. I am spending Saturday morning with my realtor in RT. Also eager to check out Country Club Place and Timber Crest. I love Idylwood, but its a bit too pricy for me. I am excited about my future purchase and glad to hear I would be welcome. As said earlier, there are always people who will be uncomfortable in one way or another... Unfortunately, being Gay, I have already dealt with that extensively.

I very much appreciate the feedback and comments - and welcome more! :D

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I are moving to Houston this summer. We don't know much about Houston but will be transfering because he was accepted to a Ph.D program at Rice. U. (never visited, I'm from Boston, he's from S. Oregon) I will be teaching high school, probably HISD. We don't have any children yet but have an active dog and we're tired of apartment life so would like to buy a house at least a few months after we move to Houston.

It seems like most of the homes we could afford (we will have about 20k for a down payment) and are close to Rice (under 2 miles) are across 288 in Riverside terrace, Wilmoth subd., etc. Mostly zip codes 77004 or 77021. Just by looking at HAR.com and ziprealty (etc.) I've noticed that there seems to be (at least on paper) a huge increase in crime stats. For example, on ziprealty they show a graph that shows these areas to have crime rates that are near 400, with 100 being the national average. Is it possible that the SFR areas I'm looking at have a lower crime rate and the apt/town-home areas have higher rates? I'm living in Tokyo now where I feel safe walking my dog past midnight so safety is important. However, I know we will have to make some sacrifices by choosing to live inside the loop near rice and not being able to afford places west of Rice (like West U.)

Any opinions?

Are there any other safer neighborhoods that sometime sell for under 140k that are about 2m or less from Rice?

Also, if financing goes smoothly what is the avg time it takes to close a house deal?

Here are the MLS numbers of some homes I'm interested in so far (though I think they will be gone by August...)

• 8855715 3205 CHARLESTON
  • 1913058 2605 ARBOR ST
  • 6948117 3010 SOUTHMORE BLVD
  • 4871043 2619 ROSEWOOD ST

{{{Also, from the other posts about these areas I've noticed that some people think race makes a difference in what kind of opinion they give soo... I'm half Japanese/half caucasian, my husband is caucasian. }}}

Thank you!

(((ps. If anyone knows anything about how prevalent dog stealing is in Houston (from backyards) can you tell me??)))

Edited by stefaniedurbin

Any opinions?

Are there any other safer neighborhoods that sometime sell for under 140k that are about 2m or less from Rice?

Also, if financing goes smoothly what is the avg time it takes to close a house deal?

The short answer is that if you want to be under $140k, in a single-family home, within two miles of Rice, and west of 288, you're out of luck. Your best bet may be to look at new subdivisions such as City Park which are a little further to the south and off of 288. Alternately, you may still be able to find good deals in or near Westbury that work for you and aren't quite as crime-prone.

The alternative is to go for a multi-family option, which to be honest with you is probably a good idea at least for the first several months. That'll give you the opportunity to learn the lay of the land and also to determine how comfortable you are with being urban pioneers east of 288. Also, you may determine that once your husband is done with his Ph.D., it'd be preferable for you to move to a different city (I wouldn't, but there's no accounting for personal tastes). If you buy a place only to sell it within a couple of years, then the way that amortization works, it becomes very difficult for you to make money on the deal as compared to renting. Even if you stay in the Houston area, if you expect that he'll be employed somewhere not in central Houston, then you might end up preferring to move.

Another thing for you to consider is that in addition to buying a home, you'll have to pay property taxes and insurance. If you stay in Harris County, you don't have to buy windstorm and hail insurance, which covers hurricanes. Texas is notorious for high property taxes and sales taxes but no income tax, so that our tax environment is favorable on the whole, but not without caveats. As a general rule for the City of Houston, expect to allocate about 2.5% of the value of a home to property taxes each year, but be aware that there are many exceptions. Use hcad.org to figure out what your prospective home is assessed at and what the tax rate is. If these factors cause you to back off any further from your $140k price, then I'd strongly advise you to rent one way or the other until you can save up enough for a larger down payment.

(((ps. If anyone knows anything about how prevalent dog stealing is in Houston (from backyards) can you tell me??)))

I've never heard of it happening here, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Hi,

I live in Riverside Terrace with my family. There is crime, but what I've found personally is that the crime happens around you, not to you... drug dealers shoot each others, prostitutes get beaten. I'm afraid this is what I've seen with my own eyes. I don't want my kids seeing this anymore, so we're moving. If it doesn't bother you to see an incident now and then, you might not mind. However, there's no way I'd go walking around at midnight, here or anywhere else inside the loop.

I agree that City Park might be worth looking into. One problem is that it is low-end, which of course is great in terms of affordability, but might attract some less stable people and less stable situations. That could impact on crime.

If I were you, I would look into a small condo in a good neighborhood inside the loop, rather than a house in a sketchy neighborhood. Of course, you have a dog, so that's a potential issue, but there are apartments and presumably condos that take dogs.

I have a friend in Sugarland (a nice suburb where people go to get away from Houston crime) whose house was broken into in the middle of the day and they stole her dog. So it does happen, and can happen in any neighborhood. Wherever you move, remember that while many parts of Houston appear like suburbs and might seem safe, this is a big city and there is crime everywhere. So be careful, have an alarm system and keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

My husband and I are moving to Houston this summer. We don't know much about Houston but will be transfering because he was accepted to a Ph.D program at Rice. U. (never visited, I'm from Boston, he's from S. Oregon) I will be teaching high school, probably HISD. We don't have any children yet but have an active dog and we're tired of apartment life so would like to buy a house at least a few months after we move to Houston.

It seems like most of the homes we could afford (we will have about 20k for a down payment) and are close to Rice (under 2 miles) are across 288 in Riverside terrace, Wilmoth subd., etc. Mostly zip codes 77004 or 77021. Just by looking at HAR.com and ziprealty (etc.) I've noticed that there seems to be (at least on paper) a huge increase in crime stats. For example, on ziprealty they show a graph that shows these areas to have crime rates that are near 400, with 100 being the national average. Is it possible that the SFR areas I'm looking at have a lower crime rate and the apt/town-home areas have higher rates? I'm living in Tokyo now where I feel safe walking my dog past midnight so safety is important. However, I know we will have to make some sacrifices by choosing to live inside the loop near rice and not being able to afford places west of Rice (like West U.)

Any opinions?

Here are the MLS numbers of some homes I'm interested in so far (though I think they will be gone by August...)

• 1913058 2605 ARBOR ST

{{{Also, from the other posts about these areas I've noticed that some people think race makes a difference in what kind of opinion they give soo... I'm half Japanese/half caucasian, my husband is caucasian. }}}

Thank you!

I would second the rental idea. I moved to Houston in 2001 and bought right away, however looking back a rental unit would have benefitted me greatly. I knew nothing about the city and ended up buying a place that wasn't bad at all, but had I spent 6-12 months looking around and getting to know the city and the neighborhoods, I would have definitely chosen differently.

There are homes in the Heights that can be rented for less than $1000 per month as well. I have a few friends that have bought here and make the commute to the Med Center, and they say its about a 20 min drive and no freeways required.

As others have said, if you are concerned about crime, you are looking in the wrong area.

I agree with the notion that you should rent first so you can better learn where in the city you want to live.

If you are dead set on buying, I would look into Westwood (77025) and Post Oak Manor (77035). They are a 4-5 mile straight shot up Main St. from Rice.

It's not rare to pick up a house ~$140,000 in those 2 neighborhoods.

flipper

I live in Riverside Terrace and love it. I would never live anywhere else. (have lived in the burbs) Having said that all Riverside Terrace is not equal. Unfortuately your budget is not going to allow you to live in the parts of Riverside Terrace that are safe and more tranquil. I too would be hesitant to live in the houses you selected. I think others have given you good advice - Rent first and check out areas once you've explored a bit. Whatever you do do not buy in the suburbs, or any masterplanned community until youv'e been in Houston a while. If you don't do generic well the planned communities might be a mistake could also be an expensive one especially if you plan to sell in < 10years.

Check out Willowbend. I have some friends that just bought in that area and it's really quite nice. I didn't ask the purchase price.

Meanwhile, if you decide to rent, I'd check out the Museum District/Montrose area. That's really close to Rice U.

I totally do not agree with the comment about not being able to walk "anywhere inside the loop" at midnight.

Here's one in Willow Bend ($139.900.). http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

Meanwhile, if you decide to rent, I'd check out the Museum District/Montrose area. That's really close to Rice U.

I totally do not agree with the comment about not being able to walk "anywhere inside the loop" at midnight.

I second renting in montrose/museum area (I'm biased, of course). And I walk after dark/late often without any problems...

I second renting in montrose/museum area (I'm biased, of course). And I walk after dark/late often without any problems...

I know. I live in the West U/Med Ctr and people are crawling all over the streets at night with their pups, etc.

Regarding Willow Bend - It's Willowbend (one word). Also, there are some smaller, older homes between Buffalo Speedway/Kirby/S.Main.

Don't be scared off by all these wusses.

I truly believe that most crime happens to people that are looking for it. If you're not selling or buying drugs, you should be fine.

Don't worry about your dog getting stolen; keep a dog to keep from getting your possessions stolen! It helps if your dog is a barker.

By the way, I can walk my Inner Loop streets at night too...but having a dog doesn't hurt. ;)

I think people are afraid of my mullet, too.

468014585542m.jpg

I'm glad to hear so many people saying they feel safe walking around at night. I moved here five years from NYC, where it was always clear to me where it was safe to be at night and what areas weren't. Since moving here I've had no idea. BUT, I am quite certain that I should not be walking around Riverside Terrace alone at night.

Don't be scared off by all these wusses.

I truly believe that most crime happens to people that are looking for it. If you're not selling or buying drugs, you should be fine.

Don't worry about your dog getting stolen; keep a dog to keep from getting your possessions stolen! It helps if your dog is a barker.

By the way, I can walk my Inner Loop streets at night too...but having a dog doesn't hurt. ;)

I think people are afraid of my mullet, too.

468014585542m.jpg

468014585542m.jpg

IMHO that is the case too.

Also, though, Snopes has some tips on how to avoid "random" crime:

* Snopes evaluates this chain letter about how to avoid random crime and offers its own thoughts: http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/ninetips.asp - the important part is not the e-mail discussed, but the important part IS the commentary by Barbara Mikkelson.

A big "THANK YOU" to everyone who posted advice.

I am thinking now that it will either make sense for us to just rent (either a condo or a house) or buy an affordable condo near rice. I think I am leaning towards the renting. From time to time I have seen some nice homes for lease around Rice for between 750-1400+. This might be our best bet considering (as one poster mentioned) there is a big chance we will need to move after my husband graduates.

7575 Kirby is nice huh?

Also, I'd be thrilled if one of the Braeswood Park condo's with the large fenced green space went on lease. I can only hope. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any opinions?

• 1913058 2605 ARBOR ST

Thank you!