Houston Lighting & Power Co. West Junction Power Plant On Holcombe Blvd.

Highrise Tower

I'm confused. Looking at a 1950 Sanborn map and I see a Houston Lighting & Power Co. West Junction Power Plant located on Holcombe Blvd. I believe this is the same parcel of land that had the two Holcombe & Meyer mansions.

The mansions predate the power plant? I lined it up, I see Cambridge, Staffordshire, and Holcombe.

Cool find!!

When was this demolished? They rebuilt on the opposite side near Fannin and Brays Bayou? There's a CenterPoint Energy Plant At 6955 Fannin Street.

F73Kpmq.jpg

DYqqLcf.png

Current area, presumably.

ZgsilsK.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

I'm confused. Looking at a 1950 Sanborn map and I see a Houston Lighting & Power Co. West Junction Power Plant located on Holcombe Blvd. I believe this is the same parcel of land that had the two Holcombe & Meyer mansions.

The mansions predate the power plant? I lined it up, I see Cambridge, Staffordshire, and Holcombe.

Cool find!!

When was this demolished? They rebuilt on the opposite side near Fannin and Brays Bayou? There's a CenterPoint Energy Plant At 6955 Fannin Street.

DYqqLcf.png

Current area, presumably.

The HL&P plant was off of Hiram Clark. There are two different areas on the map above. Here's the key map showing the location. It's image 3 of the 1950 map book

image.png.e8cf0541603ed3ea061a8376aff4087c.png

• Like 1