Washington/Wescott Roundabout

I bet this intersection could be reconstructed to make it into a four way intersection with a traffic light.  Arnot really should be widened as it is a well trafficked entrance to Memorial Park.  Eminent domain Shipleys to give some room for Westcott and Washington to come together.  It is just a fact of life that people in the south will never be able to figure out how to drive through a rotary.  

23 hours ago, s3mh said:

I bet this intersection could be reconstructed to make it into a four way intersection with a traffic light.  Arnot really should be widened as it is a well trafficked entrance to Memorial Park.  Eminent domain Shipleys to give some room for Westcott and Washington to come together.  It is just a fact of life that people in the south will never be able to figure out how to drive through a rotary.  

Yes of course. The people of Houston, a city of immigrants that's more than 1/4 foreign-born, will never be able to learn how to use a roundabout.

We are just that dumb.

Not really. Is it all of them or any specific ones that are confusing?

I will say I think a second lane always makes a roundabout a bit more confusing and stressful. This one isn't too bad, but I do think the inside westbound lane when turning right from Washington is a little confusing. Can you continue into the turn or do you have to continue through the roundabout from that lane?

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 1

They use a left turn arrow when there aren't any left turns in a traffic circle. They use a continue straight arrow for both lanes as the indicating arrow to exit the circle. An arrow pointing left does not mean continue going in the lane. I think the arrow should be circular to indicate the angle of the lane/exit. 

What actually confuses me is there are no arrows currently in the circle. You are expected to just figure it out that some sections are two lanes and some are one.

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

Colorado ski towns are full of roundabouts, and everyone just seems to get them, even though they all are tourists - mostly from texas

Texans make a mess of the roundabouts in CO ski towns.  I have been to Copper, Vail and Beaver Creek over spring break.  The roundabouts are a mess when the Texans are in town.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cspwal said:

Colorado ski towns are full of roundabouts, and everyone just seems to get them, even though they all are tourists - mostly from texas

Surprisingly, Utah has quite a few roundabouts, and even more surprising, diverging interchanges! Been a fun state to drive, and yes ski towns in both states love their roundabouts especially exiting highways.

On 2/7/2023 at 2:42 PM, TacoDog said:

They use a left turn arrow when there aren't any left turns in a traffic circle. They use a continue straight arrow for both lanes as the indicating arrow to exit the circle. An arrow pointing left does not mean continue going in the lane. I think the arrow should be circular to indicate the angle of the lane/exit. 

What actually confuses me is there are no arrows currently in the circle. You are expected to just figure it out that some sections are two lanes and some are one.

My recommendation would be to drive in a circle

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 4:14 PM, s3mh said:

Texans make a mess of the roundabouts in CO ski towns.  I have been to Copper, Vail and Beaver Creek over spring break.  The roundabouts are a mess when the Texans are in town.  

Colorado ski towns always have Texans in town.  Personally, I've never noticed any of the Colorado ski-town roundabouts being a mess, whether Texan-induced or otherwise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skooljunkie said:

Texans drive perfectly through the roundabouts in CO ski towns.  I have been to Copper, Vail and Beaver Creek over spring break.  The roundabouts function well when the Texans are in town.  

Yeah, right.  The Texans who regularly play bumper cars all across DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc. suddenly are on their best behavior when in the mountains even though most Houstonians can barely get through the Washington Ave roundabout without scraping metal.  This may be the only thread on the internet where Texans are accused of being good drivers.  

• Like 1

"Reconstruction of the road could begin as soon as the end of the May, according to Mike Wahl, assistant director of transportation and drainage operations for Houston Public Works. Crews likely will descend as the school year for Memorial Elementary School ends, he said.

Drivers will not see any changes in how they move through the roundabout, created in 2003 to replace a traffic light. They may, however, notice fewer bumps and a slower trip when crews remove the bricks from the roadway and replace them with asphalt and raised crosswalks at all three of the median-separated roadways that converge as Westcott turns into Washington."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/washington-roundabout-memorial-park-blossom-17769874.php

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...