• 8 months later...

I still say the Fed should rent that building to house the post office while the existing one is razed and rebuilt. The way the Heights is growing, there is a need for a new facility.

I would think the WT House branch at 18th and Bevis serves parts of the Heights, but it is not open for walk-in service.

There has been more than one person say that the Eckerd on Washington is being turned into Azuma. Don't know if it's true.

That's the word on the street. There will be additional retail in there as well. I can't wait and I am SOOO GLAD they decided to reno rather than demo! I think it's a great building (rumor has it there is a basement).

That's the word on the street. There will be additional retail in there as well. I can't wait and I am SOOO GLAD they decided to reno rather than demo! I think it's a great building (rumor has it there is a basement).

It would be great if they can save it from this: http://www.houstonrailplan.com/images/proj...shep_dur_gs.jpg

i'd have to say the "cross over" part of Durham would sure devastate the businesses in the area. Just slices up the area. seems like two separate bridges would be less invasive.

Hmmm... They've already started the renovation of the building and have the rendering out front. Maybe these actually cross over at the tracks just north of there...

it splits the property of interest in two. this is just a bad design. just north of i-10 they have 2 bridges, why not here as well to minimize interference with the area.

What's an "Azuma"? :huh:

Japanese Restaurant

• 2 weeks later...

They just tore down the Eckerd in Clear Lake (Bay Area/El Camino - one of the red light camera intersections). The Eckerd never opened - maybe because it's across the street from CVS and one block from a Walgreens?

As Nappy D would say... "IDIOTS!! GOSH!!"

It will be replaced by Wachovia.

• 2 weeks later...
Azuma is really getting aggressive, and that's a great location given the shifting demographics (read: disposal income). I'll be interested to see what other joints open in the renovated plaza.

That whole area is really becoming restaurant row. Hubby and I saw a little bungalow on Shepherd the other day that seems to be a new Italian restaurant as well. I plan on driving by this weekend and seeing for sure. Went to Mak Chin's the other night and it was pretty busy despite the nasty weather. Molina's in Washington is always full at lunch as well...

That whole area is really becoming restaurant row. Hubby and I saw a little bungalow on Shepherd the other day that seems to be a new Italian restaurant as well. I plan on driving by this weekend and seeing for sure. Went to Mak Chin's the other night and it was pretty busy despite the nasty weather. Molina's in Washington is always full at lunch as well...

That is Segari's in the bungalow next to Mak Chins. It moved there when the old place burned down. Very good food.

• 2 months later...

That is a '58 Ford Country Sedan (Station Wagon) on the left, and a '58 Ford Fairlane 500 on the right. It looks like it is Spring or Summer, since the trees have leaves.

Is that the same building that is there now?

Also, does the abandoned Eckerds on Studewood & 20th sit on the site of the old SPJST Lodge 88? I heard that the lodge was located on Studewood before it moved to Beale in the early '60s.

That is a '58 Ford Country Sedan (Station Wagon) on the left, and a '58 Ford Fairlane 500 on the right. It looks like it is Spring or Summer, since the trees have leaves.

Is that the same building that is there now?

Yep, it is the same building that was remodeled into Eckerds.

I would guess late 1957.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived