Ornamental Pear Trees Decided Today was the Day

hindesky

22 hours ago, hindesky said:

Ornamental Pear Trees Decided Today was the Day

Ugh, Bradford pears. Unless they are sterile their flowers smell so bad, and they are terribly invasive (even the "sterile" ones can on occasion cross-pollinate). But your street has a potentially bigger problem now. Bradfords are already structurally very weak trees, with those deep v-notch branches breaking off the trunk very easily (and only live about 20 years anyway, then fall apart, literally). And they are especially suceptible to ice and wind. If those leaves all dropped at once a week after that deep freeze we had, I'd take that as a major warning sign those trees were very stressed. We have an ice storm, or even heavy wind gusts, those things could be coming down. I wouldn't park my car anywhere near them if I were you. 

Edited by Reefmonkey

I was asked to trim them once about 15 years ago because they had numerous branches growing toward the sidewalk and building. They later had a tree trimmer cut some branches that were touching the building, raccoons and possums were using the branches to get on the roof and building nests on the roof.

Hmmm 15 years ago? So they are definitely close to the end of their natural lives now, then. So they'll be coming down soon one way or another. Sucks, I hate paying to take down trees. When the time comes, get with Trees For Houston since they are along the city ROW like that, as a nonprofit they'll give a a good price on replacements, and good guidance on suitable ones.

https://www.treesforhouston.org/trees