Downtown Houston Restaurants Thread 2023

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Fifth Vessel Coffee at the foot of Main Street today. It replaced another coffee shop named Third Somethingorother. 

• It was packed. No room to sit outside, and barely any room to stand inside. In a good way, especially for a downtown joint on a weekend. I'm not sure what changed. When I was here under the old flag, it was empty. 
  • Decor has changed, but I can't say how. Seems less cozy. More wannabe rustic IKEA. 
  • Beans are on offer. But $28 for what appears to be 8 ounces, no thanks. 
  • Lots of marathon tourists, and they like to complain about the service and exaggerate about how long they've waited.  The wait was about the same as a Starbucks, which means half the time of a cafe in Italy. Some people just enjoy hearing themselves complain. 
  • Seems well staffed for such a small place. I saw four people, and there may be more. 
  • Chocolate chip cookies are excellent. A bit sugary, but still quite tasty. 
  • Menu is far more extensive than the old place,  both beverages and food. A good move. 

278BBD38-42E6-47C0-B012-BD7D3ED7B557.jpegD72D186B-6B25-4EAC-9C82-52506632961E.jpeg

• Like 1

One strike against it: No cash accepted. That will probably reduce the number of times I visit. 

I don't use cash too often, but I like the option. Sometimes I don't feel like being tracked, tabulated, sold, or otherwise watched. I just want coffee. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/2/2023 at 3:59 PM, jermh said:

Does anyone know if the More Space: Main Street program is going to be extended again this year? The website says it "will last until March 31, 2023, or until the end of all COVID protocols". I hope it gets extended or they make it permanent. 

They made it permanent.  Planning and Development Department (houstontx.gov)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn’t sure where to put this…somewhat of a fluff piece on Kris Larson of Central Houston and his desire to make downtown Houston an “Entertainment” district.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/08/04/reimagine-houston-revitalizing-downtown.html

“What it’s all about is positioning downtown for the entertainment-goer,” Larson said in an interview. “People are looking for a fun night out, and our job is to make those experiences last longer, to extend the entertainment experience.”

“Over the next 40 years, there has been an effort to diversify the land use downtown. That’s when you saw everything from the George R. Brown Convention Center, Minute Maid Ballpark, Discovery Green all come into play,” Larson said. “But, what Houston has been really good at is loading the gun with silver bullets. It’s really a collection of anchors that aren’t connected.”

Rethinking the nodes

Larson said his primary goal is to connect each of those “nodes” to create a holistic downtown experience, catering to those who seek entertainment.

To do that, Central Houston has conducted a data-based study of all 350 blocks in downtown. Each of the 1,400 block “faces” was rated on a scale of 0 to 10, based on 21 criteria. Everything from tree coverage to building transparency and traffic speeds in the area was factored in, Larson said. 

Over the next two to three years, Central Houston wants to focus its resources on turning key blocks rated as fives into eights, nines or 10s.”

“Central Houston is also working to improve the pedestrian experience downtown, so people choose to walk on sidewalks rather than taking the tunnels or parking several times to get around the area. 

“McKinney Street is absolutely the best opportunity we have to get people to the nightlife area on Main Street,” Larson said. “It’s about three-quarters of a mile, or a 15-minute walk. Every minute of that journey counts.”

To make that walk as enticing as possible, Larson said it is essential to make people feel as though they aren’t alone and that the trip is safe. That can involve installing more streetlights and better way-finding signs and landmarks, two things Central Houston is working to improve.”

• Like 2