Best Suburb

Parrothead

Best Suburb  

227 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best suburb in the Houston area?

• The Woodlands
    • Spring
    • Kingwood
    • Fall Creek/Summerwood Area
    • Willowbrook/Champions
    • Katy/Cinco Ranch Area
    • Sugar Land/West Ft. Bend
    • Pearland
    • Clear Lake/League City
    • Missouri City/East Ft. Bend

Welcome to the forum and to Houston

Nice spot to work there, If you can avoid the traffic with flexible hours or a reverse commute. It would help us suggest an area if we had a rough idea of your budget. Thanks and good luck

Again, most of my knowledge of the housing market comes from my browsing of the Houston Chronicle real estate listings - and I was looking at homes in the $150k range - which seem to be in the 2200 - 2500 sq/ft area. Back home, in the burbs of Detroit - $150k gets you around 1500 sq/ft (which doesn't include the basement - but most of the homes I looked at in Houston don't have basements).

My company will provide me a realtor to assist in house hunting - I'm just hoping to get some good info from those of you who already live here.

Much appreciation to you all.

Also - was wondering about property taxes and home/auto insurance costs. I currently have about a 1000 sq/ft home, and my home owners insurance is around $750 and I pay close to $3000 in taxes (I live in a very small community). Also - for auto insurance on a Chrysler Mini Van and a small Saturn Ion - I pay about $2100 per year in auto insurance.

Again - your kindness is already appreciated.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my opinion, but I don't think there are any good suburbs. The driving commutes are terrible, not to mention bad for the environment, the houses (Mcmansions) all look the same, it'a all strip centers and crappy chain restaurants. I'd rather live in a smaller, cute, interesting house in the city if money is the issue. I hate the burbs.

Again, most of my knowledge of the housing market comes from my browsing of the Houston Chronicle real estate listings - and I was looking at homes in the $150k range - which seem to be in the 2200 - 2500 sq/ft area. Back home, in the burbs of Detroit - $150k gets you around 1500 sq/ft (which doesn't include the basement - but most of the homes I looked at in Houston don't have basements).

My company will provide me a realtor to assist in house hunting - I'm just hoping to get some good info from those of you who already live here.

Much appreciation to you all.

Also - was wondering about property taxes and home/auto insurance costs. I currently have about a 1000 sq/ft home, and my home owners insurance is around $750 and I pay close to $3000 in taxes (I live in a very small community). Also - for auto insurance on a Chrysler Mini Van and a small Saturn Ion - I pay about $2100 per year in auto insurance.

Again - your kindness is already appreciated.

Since your kid is only a few years away from starting school, I'd agree with you that safety and schools should probably be at the top of your list. If he/she were in high school, I'd agree with PRgirl go inner-city and secure a top-of-the-class rank, but a younger kid will just get taught the same as the lowest common denominator of students for 13 years straight, and the impact will be cumulative if you don't take time to make up for it yourself. And actually, there are some inner-city schools that are decent if not excellent, but buying a single-family home in such areas would be basically impossible on your budget. As an alternative, you might ask HISD for special permission to send them to better inner city schools from outside of their regular zones, and they'll probably agree, but then you'll have to provide all transportation on a daily basis.

As it is, I'd advise you to go west. Be careful of the stuff clustered between I-10 and Clay just outside of Highway 6...that area is going to look slummy within 10 years and the high school, Morton Ranch, is already getting a bad rep. Otherwise, buy what you like. I think that part of town will have the best commute for a long time once I-10 is completed in early 2009. Having said that, there will undoubtedly be some urbanista that is going to try and hijack the thread by stating that expanding the freeway will not alleviate congestion--I'm going to preempt that by saying that yes, it will induce more traffic demand during peak hours, but that that doesn't mean that the reconstruction has done no good...and it'll certainly be a better situation than what will become of every other major radial freeway.

You can expect insurance rates to be higher than what you're used to. Property taxes will vary greatly, but are significant because Texas has no income tax.

Just my opinion, but I don't think there are any good suburbs. The driving commutes are terrible, not to mention bad for the environment, the houses (Mcmansions) all look the same, it'a all strip centers and crappy chain restaurants. I'd rather live in a smaller, cute, interesting house in the city if money is the issue. I hate the burbs.

Best and real honest response yet. :lol:

The topic itself is not accurate as the title alone creates animosity. Everyone thinks they live in Shangrila, so you see there is no real answer.

I would go on about all the reasons I too love being near everything here in the city but it will get knocked so there you are! :lol:

...it'a all strip centers and crappy chain restaurants.

Also not quite accurate. You just have to know where to look.

For instance, the southwest suburbs have convenient access to the Chinatown area, which is [gasp!] in the suburbs and probably represents one of the largest concentrations of non-chain restaurants in the state, if not the country.

Also for instance, what proportion of inner loop retail is not comprised of crappy strip centers? There are certainly those that are not, but the suburbs have those too.

Texasbound,

I tend to agree with The Niche in that you might want to look more at the west and southwest areas of both the city and suburbs. There are plenty of quality ares to live in throughout the city and metropolitan area but as any honest Houstonian will tell you, one of the (if not THE) most important considerations is commute time.

That said, there are indeed some very family-friendlly 'burbs in northern/northwest Harris County and in Montgomery County.

Some westside 'burbs to consider in western Houston include Grand Mission, which is about 21 miles west of downtown on FM 1093. Newer homes in the area that are generally in your price range. You'll have your choice of using FM 1093 or the Westpark Tollway to commute in to your gig on Yorktown. Also consider some in town communities along Briar Forest (but west of Kirkwood). These are older homes in the 20-30 year range but that have been well maintained and the neighbors are committed to the upkeep of the area in general. However, you'll want to take a look at the HISD schools in the area. While those in the area are better than average, they're still not perfect.

You can't go wrong with much of the neighborhoods in Sugarland (suburban Fort Bend County) but you pay a bit more for the homes, depending on what part you look. Also, commutes will be more of a hassle trying to come in on the SW Freeway.

Anyway, keep your eyes open, as you'll get plenty of compelling opinions on the matter here at HAIF. I'd give you an urbanist's perspective on this but you've already stated what your preferences are and such commentary wouldn't be useful to you--although, they'd surely spark up a nice debate around here! ;)

West side only if you live in Memorial (77024, 77079). The rest is pretty lame and barren once you get past Hwy 6.

Unlike cities like Dallas or Austin whose nicer developments tend to favor one side of town (north in the case of Dallas, west in the case of Austin) Houston has a ring of nice suburbs in virtually every direction outside the Beltway. All of the major suburbs are pretty good. It depends on what you prefer. If you like the open prairies, go Katy and Sugar Land. If you like trees, go Cypress, Klein, Champions, The Woodlands, Kingwood.

Sugar Land is more multi-cultural than the other popular suburbs, its nice too (it's where nearly all of Houston's professional athletes live), but has a bit of a problem with violent crime (moreso than any others listed above) and its proximity to the most dangerous parts of Houston.

If you're going to be working on Yorktown, you should probably look at Sugar Land or Katy. Cinco Ranch is popular.

The Woodlands is great. I would go there a lot when I lived in Spring. The commute sucks if you dont work near there.

I dont see what the Galveston hype is. I have never been blown away by the place but then it may be because I grew up in Florida. Kemah is cool but more oriented for kids and if you take away the boardwalk you have nothing in that town.

Yeah, only access to the country's fourth largest complex of marinas... Why would anybody be interested in that? :wacko:

Sorry, I have been quite a few times and never seen the countries fourth largest complex of marinas... hmmmm I must have missed it.

Of course I agree with you. Inner Loopers Unite!

But if we're going to be strictly technical, almost all of Houston, including inside the loop, is suburbs. All that differs is the age.

Personally I think Houston's nicest areas are inside the loop or near it. Hyde Park. The Heights. West U / Shadyside / Southgate. Bellaire. Etc. But they're far too expensive for someone expecting to pay Pearland prices. You need to think $300k not $150k, to start, even for a starter bungalow. Of course I think the premium to be in the cultural and economic center of the entire region is absolutely worthwhile... but some people might not think the proximity is worth anything.

If I had to pick an outer area, it'd probably be Clear Lake, as close to the water as possible. There are some older areas that have a small town feel. I think on the whole, the Southwest (Sharpstown) is more exciting, closer to the city, more diversity, easier to buy into... but if I was going to live in the 'burbs I'd require a major amenity for it to be worthwhile. The only thing in the Houston region that could fit the bill is water access. My parents own a small lot on the water in an old subdivision, and it's great to just go and sit out there and watch the water and boats for hours.. even if there's nothing currently built on the land (my dad bought it in the 70s when there was NOTHING out there. there was a cottage but it fell into disrepair and was demolished recently. They're probably going to build out there in the next few years.) The water is a killer feature that nothing else matches. Sailboats are awesome.

Of course I agree with you. Inner Loopers Unite!

But if we're going to be strictly technical, almost all of Houston, including inside the loop, is suburbs. All that differs is the age.

Personally I think Houston's nicest areas are inside the loop or near it. Hyde Park. The Heights. West U / Shadyside / Southgate. Bellaire. Etc. But they're far too expensive for someone expecting to pay Pearland prices. You need to think $300k not $150k, to start, even for a starter bungalow. Of course I think the premium to be in the cultural and economic center of the entire region is absolutely worthwhile... but some people might not think the proximity is worth anything.

If I had to pick an outer area, it'd probably be Clear Lake, as close to the water as possible. There are some older areas that have a small town feel. I think on the whole, the Southwest (Sharpstown) is more exciting, closer to the city, more diversity, easier to buy into... but if I was going to live in the 'burbs I'd require a major amenity for it to be worthwhile. The only thing in the Houston region that could fit the bill is water access. My parents own a small lot on the water in an old subdivision, and it's great to just go and sit out there and watch the water and boats for hours.. even if there's nothing currently built on the land (my dad bought it in the 70s when there was NOTHING out there. there was a cottage but it fell into disrepair and was demolished recently. They're probably going to build out there in the next few years.) The water is a killer feature that nothing else matches. Sailboats are awesome.

The main thing I still love about Kemah & Clearlake area is it is the closest thing to remind me of when I used to live near Marina Del Ray, Ca. at least here in Texas. We can never compare but as I said its the closest so I guess I'll just pretend I'm on the west coast as I pass by. :lol:

Another person thought it is mostly for kids well lets see if you speak to the locals I assure you there are quite a few places for the big kids. Plenty of marina clubs and bars just speak to local parrotheads! Where's Ginger & MaryAnn? :lol:

West side only if you live in Memorial (77024, 77079). The rest is pretty lame and barren once you get past Hwy 6.

Unlike cities like Dallas or Austin whose nicer developments tend to favor one side of town (north in the case of Dallas, west in the case of Austin) Houston has a ring of nice suburbs in virtually every direction outside the Beltway. All of the major suburbs are pretty good. It depends on what you prefer. If you like the open prairies, go Katy and Sugar Land. If you like trees, go Cypress, Klein, Champions, The Woodlands, Kingwood.

Sugar Land is more multi-cultural than the other popular suburbs, its nice too (it's where nearly all of Houston's professional athletes live), but has a bit of a problem with violent crime (moreso than any others listed above) and its proximity to the most dangerous parts of Houston.

If you're going to be working on Yorktown, you should probably look at Sugar Land or Katy. Cinco Ranch is popular.

did you just define Cinco Ranch, Kelliwoods, Seven lakes area as lame and barren? .. then go on to recommend Cinco Ranch.

If I read it right then your whole post is tree-centric. Which i'm guessing is not the deciding factor for most homebuyers. By the way the trees in Cinco Ranch are maturing quite nicely and I have two 40 foot oaks in my front yard in Cinco Ranch. It wasn't built in the midst of an existing forest but it's not exactly the definiton of prarie life out here since they developed it.

Anyone hear anything more about the guy who died this weekend? He was out boating with two women...went swimming in the Bay about 10 miles out from Kemah...and somehow got separated from the other swimmer as the boat (along with the other woman) drifted off. They wound up getting rescued, but the man died shortly after.

Question...what the hell was the woman in the boat doing? Story sounds fishy.

I don't know why people on this board believe Sugar Land has a crime problem. It wouldn't be the 3rd best place to live if there was rampant crime. I challange you to find a suburb with less crime than Sugar Land.

See the attached 2006 crime report for Sugar Land. Crime is actually declining while remaining over half the Texas average. Violent crime is declining as well and a mere 1/4 of the Texas average.

Sugar Land 2006 Crime Report

I don't know why people on this board believe Sugar Land has a crime problem. It wouldn't be the 3rd best place to live if there was rampant crime. I challange you to find a suburb with less crime than Sugar Land.

See the attached 2006 crime report for Sugar Land. Crime is actually declining while remaining over half the Texas average. Violent crime is declining as well and a mere 1/4 of the Texas average.

Sugar Land 2006 Crime Report

May have something to do with TV. Seems like there's a driveway robbery, assault, kidnapping, carjacking, mugging or dead bodies found in Sugar Land every week.

As for your challenge, while no area is immune from it, these kinds of violent crimes don't occur with near as much frequency in The Woodlands, Klein, Cypress or Kingwood.

May have something to do with TV. Seems like there's a driveway robbery, assault, kidnapping, carjacking, mugging or dead bodies found in Sugar Land every week.

As for your challenge, while no area is immune from it, these kinds of violent crimes don't occur with near as much frequency in The Woodlands, Klein, Cypress or Kingwood.

That's a bold statement to make without any proof to back it up. Show me some numbers and I'll believe you. As I've proven, the violent crime rate of Sugar Land is a mere 1/4 of the Texas average.

I'll tell you what, I'll do some work for you. Here are numbers based on facts from Yahoo Real Estate.

National Average Crime Rate: 3.6

Houston Area Crime Rates:

Sugar Land (77479): 1.3

Sugar Land (77478): 2.0

Sugar Land (77487): 2.0

Sugar Land (77496): 2.0

Klein (77379): 6.0

The Woodlands (77380): 2.3

The Woodlands (77381): 2.0

Cypress (77410): 5.3

Cypress (77429): 5.3

Kingwood (77339): 6.0

Kingwood (77345): 2.0

It looks like you're not even close. And it looks like Cypress and Klein are the highest. I might be looking to move if I were you.

Those numbers are a bunch of horse crap. They do not tell you how they're derived (county, precinct, etc), or what they classify as a 'crime'.

Nor do they explain why we continue to see weekly reports about violent crimes occuring in Sugar Land neighborhoods. Still, all of these suburbs have less crime than you'll find inside the city.

To give you an idea of how these online statistic sites vary:

RelocationEssentials.com

This site breaks it out by the types of crimes committed.

I don't think you can rank a burb unless you live in one. The Woodlands provides NOTHING for the astronomical fees one pays. iwas once told Tanglewood was a suburb when I lived there....\

so if tanglewood is a burb, it ranks number one in my book.

Those numbers are a bunch of horse crap. They do not tell you how they're derived (county, precinct, etc), or what they classify as a 'crime'.

Nor do they explain why we continue to see weekly reports about violent crimes occuring in Sugar Land neighborhoods.

So this is what your argument is based on? I got the facts for you, I expected a knowledgable discussion on the subject. You can't argue away the statistics with subjective claims of "weekly reports." Show me some numbers of your own and lets have a true discussion.

Crime Reports (by offense)

Sugar Land's murder rate exceeds the national average in 77479.

As you'll see, overall crime in each of the other popular suburbs is lower than the Sugar Land zips.

BTW, there's no 77410 zip code in Cypress that I've heard of. Phantom zip code? The two main Cypress zips are 77429 and 77433 and perhaps 77070 and 77065. If you can find it on a map, please show us.

Klein area Zips are 77379, 77388, 77389 and 77069

Archived