Where Are Houston's Mexican Neigborhoods?

VisitingHouston

My friends used to know 3rd Ward as a latin-amercan neighborhood, but there's many places in Houston to check out. Can't think of them at the top of my head except 3rd Ward, but I'm sure there are many neighborhoods better...

do you mean 5th ward? i think it has a larger hispanic population than 3rd ward which is mostly african american. could be wrong though.

not sure if this qualifies, but many of the 'flea markets' (why are they called that?) have hispanic vendors. as for taquerias you might want to find the chain called arandas (they are all over town and shouldn't be hard to find off any major freeway).

also telephone road/broadway area has a large hispanic population off the south end of the 610 south loop / i45 south.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why Gulfton has a gang problem and the East End doesn't (as far as I know) eludes me.

could it have something to do with employment? i know that the whole gulfton/bellaire area has a lot of day laborers (and i am not making a judgement call here... just observation). i do not know the east end neighborhood you mention, but perhaps they have more employed people?

• 5 months later...

In regards to the original post, a good fairly safe "main drag" for a Hispanic area would be Long Point on the west side of town, just north of I-10, which runs through Spring Branch. It's a Hispanic neighborhood that used to be white, but it's still safer than other sides of town. I'm not sure what kind of place you're looking for specifically, but you'll see a lot of signs and storefronts written in Spanish. If you speak Spanish, you should be okay.

The reason Houston's crime is so bad is that conditions for it are so ripe. There is a massive number of minority youth growing older now, and many of these youth were not raised with a proper family. Lots of deadbeat dads, dads who abandon the kid at birth, improper assimilation, and kids roaming around with no parents. Originally, all these immigrants came to work hard, but they're not raising their kids right, either because it's not in their culture to give them enough attention, or they just have to work too many hours to make ends meet. Then added to that you have an influx of illegals who here for the sole purpose of being criminals. It's the perfect conditions for gang activity and murders. Expect Houston to be a murder capital of the U.S. for the next 3 years until things settle down again.

So I just moved here...I live east of Reliant with a lot of caucasions (nothing wrong with that :D )....I'm Latino, but don't know this area at all...where is the east side? or the so-called "montrose-esque" area for latinos? :)

The east end is basically south of Clinton Dr, West of 610, East of 59, North of 45. Although it kinda spills over outside the loop towards Hobby.

Montrose-esque Mexican part of town...I have no idea. I'm just a cracker. You'll have to ask one of the authentic mexicans where all the uber liberal mexians hang out....unless you mean Montrose esque in terms of housing stock...then the area I described above is a good fit.

The east end is basically south of Clinton Dr, West of 610, East of 59, North of 45. Although it kinda spills over outside the loop towards Hobby.

Montrose-esque Mexican part of town...I have no idea. I'm just a cracker. You'll have to ask one of the authentic mexicans where all the uber liberal mexians hang out....unless you mean Montrose esque in terms of housing stock...then the area I described above is a good fit.

Try Eastwood. Look for the conflagration of Polk/Leeland/Telephone/Lockwood/Cullen/Harrisburg on a map and go there.

Guest danax
So I just moved here...I live east of Reliant with a lot of caucasions (nothing wrong with that :D )....I'm Latino, but don't know this area at all...where is the east side? or the so-called "montrose-esque" area for latinos? :)

I'd say, unless L.A. has changed drastically in the past 15 years, the Hispanic areas here will resemble the ones there, just look for the cars parked on the lawns, trash piles and the chopped down trees (small rant as I drive home from work through my neighborhood and see this). And as for "Montrose-esque", I think the hip and gay Hispanics, if that's what you mean, are not the immigrants and they're spread out across town. As The Niche said, Eastwood has a gay population and it's on the East End just a mile or two east of DT, but it's mostly yuppie types, some Hispanic. The homes are from 1913-1930 so that part is similar to Montrose.

So I just moved here...I live east of Reliant with a lot of caucasions (nothing wrong with that :D )

You must also live west of 288. I'm east of 288, and I'm the only whitey around for a couple of miles. :)

There are a growing number of Hispanics in South Union, though. But not nearly enough that you can find a taqueria or pupuseria or carniceria anywhere within a few miles.

From where you are (east of Reliant), take the South Loop to the east (towards Gulfgate). Once you get east of MLK, you'll see increasing numbers of Latinos. From Wayside eastward through northern Pasadena is all Latino until you get to Deer Park. That will give you a few miles to enjoy. Anywhere on the Gulf Freeway between Scott Street and say Almeda-Genoa will tend to be Latino. There's a few more miles. On the southwest side there's the Gulfton area (mostly Central American, I believe).

It's not a neighborhood, but Cole's Flea Market on 35 in Pearland, just south of Beltway 8 becomes Little Mexico on weekends. There are lots and lots of Mexican food vendors with all kinds of exotic produce, fruit, and stuff. There are also quite a few other vendors primarily selling Mexican items (Spanish videos, CD's, clothing, etc.) Last time I was there it cost a buck to park.

Marty

You must also live west of 288. I'm east of 288, and I'm the only whitey around for a couple of miles. :)

From where you are (east of Reliant), take the South Loop to the east (towards Gulfgate). Once you get east of MLK, you'll see increasing numbers of Latinos.

yeah, i live south of gulfgate, and i have personally shifted the census a bit ^_^

eastwood is a good bet, and also certain pockets in montrose along richmond between shepherd and 59/spur

gulfton is just crappy apartment complexes...bleh

Try Eastwood. Look for the conflagration of Polk/Leeland/Telephone/Lockwood/Cullen/Harrisburg on a map and go there.

cool..thanks for the info guys....does anyone know where a good place to hang out and have some beers? Even if it's not "montrose-esque" :D off course..it would be better

Lindale Park, Eastwood & Glenbrook. These are neighborhoods that many Latinos live in by choice when they could afford to live elsewhere if they wanted.

can you tell me cross streets? I don't know any neighborhood here. I've only been here for 2 weeks.

can you tell me cross streets? I don't know any neighborhood here. I've only been here for 2 weeks.

Lindale Park is basically bordered by 610 on the north, Cavalcade (actually Moody st) on the south, Fulton on the West & Robertson on the East. Irvington runs through the middle.

Glenbrook Valley is basically near the intersection of Broadway Blvd & Santa Elena St. Stretching in upside down "U" shape from Sims Bayou all the way down to practically Hobby airport. The nicest sections being between Bellfort & Sims Bayou.

Eastwood is basically behind the Foleys warehouse off the Gulf Freeway at Lockwood. West of the railroad tracks & roughly south of Cullen to about Dumble Street. McKinney, Polk, Leeland all run through the neighborhood.

here is my input....i am a latino and was raised in the neighborhood of Magnolia, just east of Eastwood. You can anctually walk around and it is mostly a hispanic area so expect a lot of good food....crime used to be a problem and some of my childhood friends are in jail, dead, or in gangs.....i went to my grandma's apartment about a month ago and crime had diminished....so i would have to say that it is fairly safe. i can understand how some white people get scared to walk or go by these areas though.

Why do Hispanics paint their tree trunks white? What's with that?

That's not so much a Hispanic thing as I understand that it is a Southern thing. Its supposed to keep the mosquitoes away...I'm not sure how effective it is, though.

That's not so much a Hispanic thing as I understand that it is a Southern thing. Its supposed to keep the mosquitoes away...I'm not sure how effective it is, though.

i haven't heard of it for mosquitoes but i have heard that people whitewash the trunk and/or put foil around the trunk , to just protect it from the extreme texas sun.

So I drove by the Eastwood neighborhood but I hardly saw any retail at all! Some nice houses but nothing more than that. I was thinking of something more like the neighborhoods in L.A. If you've been you know. East L.A./Boyle Heights has Ceasar Chavez, Highland Park has Figueroa, Lincoln heights has Broadway, El Sereno has Huntington Drive....I was thinking more along the lines of this. Is there such development here in Houston? I know L.A. and Houston are big car culture cities, but I can't really seem to find any pedestrian friendly neighborhoods here. Westheimer has lots of businesses, but you still have to drive from store to store. Thanks for the input though.

i haven't heard of it for mosquitoes but i have heard that people whitewash the trunk and/or put foil around the trunk , to just protect it from the extreme texas sun.

Hmm...I guess that makes sense for trees that are alone in a field, where the sun could beat down on them from an angle and not be obscured by leaves. On the other hand, I've also noted whitewashed tree trunks in places where there is plenty of shade provided by the canopy of other trees. There are a few, for instance, along the south side of Polk Street between Cullen and Lockwood...plenty of shade.

So I drove by the Eastwood neighborhood but I hardly saw any retail at all! Some nice houses but nothing more than that. I was thinking of something more like the neighborhoods in L.A. If you've been you know. East L.A./Boyle Heights has Ceasar Chavez, Highland Park has Figueroa, Lincoln heights has Broadway, El Sereno has Huntington Drive....I was thinking more along the lines of this. Is there such development here in Houston? I know L.A. and Houston are big car culture cities, but I can't really seem to find any pedestrian friendly neighborhoods here. Westheimer has lots of businesses, but you still have to drive from store to store. Thanks for the input though.

Yeah, Eastwood has deed restrictions in place that prevent commercial businesses from operating within most of the subdivision and the Civic Assn. is very strict about enforcement.

I'm not sure that you're going to find what you're looking for. Sorry. Houston isn't LA.

I thought that's what leaves were for...

Have heard various explanations for whitewashed trunks, and the one that makes the most sense to me is that it makes trees more visable to drunks after dark. Cuts down on damage to bark and pick-up bumpers.

Guest danax
Have heard various explanations for whitewashed trunks, and the one that makes the most sense to me is that it makes trees more visable to drunks after dark. Cuts down on damage to bark and pick-up bumpers.

That makes a lot of sense, dbig. My ex-father in law from Guadalajara tells me it's to keep the ants off. I think they might have leafcutter ants down there. We all know how much of a problem ants on trees can be around Houston too.

I think it's a tradition and a lot of people who do it probably have no real idea why. Something to do on a Saturday to feel productive maybe.

I my opinion, it looks butt-ugly.

Well, gnu...sounds like the mystery of Brunsville has been solved. Perhaps this'll give you a new research project to obssess over.

I thought that's what leaves were for...

I've seen them whitewashed on rural estates and in the front yards of some very large lots in town as well, where it'd be unlikely that anybody could jump the curb and not brake in time....even if drunk.

That's only because there aren't any.

NOt true...I just came back from Rice Village...it's very cool...many small eclectic shops and some big chains too....I liked it...Makes me wonder though....There has to be more little pocket neighborhoods like this. C'mon guys, there has to be more of this here in Houston. Many of the comments I've heard so far fit with the stereotypical views people from outside have of Houston. This HAS to be a world-class city. 4th largest city in the nation and no pedestrian friendly neighborhoods (besides Rice Village)? Are you sure RPS324?

Archived