633 Heidrich St

9 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

633 Heidrich St is located off N Shepherd Drive in the Independence Heights area. 

Living Faith Church occupied the building located on the property. I think the church was there for nearly 50 years.

Living Faith Church occupied the building for less than 20 years. Before the church moved in, it was occupied by the late, lamented Ducho's (pronounced "doo-hoe", with a silent "c") Steak House, which I believe opened sometime in the 1960s and closed in 2002. There's a picture of what it looked like in the Ducho's days here:

https://www.facebook.com/EarlWBlair/posts/dine-at-duchos-many-a-northsider-satisfied-his-or-her-streak-craving-at-duchos-s/2885534888174048/

The church sign in your photo above was a northside landmark when Ducho's was in business - since the restaurant didn't directly front Shepherd, it wasn't very visible to people driving by, hence the tall sign, which was brightly lit up with neon and left no doubt where Ducho's was. 

Glad to see the building will once more be reverting to its roots as a restaurant. Another Hughie's location will be a nice addition to the neighborhood. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Living Faith Church occupied the building for less than 20 years. Before the church moved in, it was occupied by the late, lamented Ducho's (pronounced "doo-hoe", with a silent "c") Steak House, which I believe opened sometime in the 1960s and closed in 2002. There's a picture of what it looked like in the Ducho's days here:

https://www.facebook.com/EarlWBlair/posts/dine-at-duchos-many-a-northsider-satisfied-his-or-her-streak-craving-at-duchos-s/2885534888174048/

The church sign in your photo above was a northside landmark when Ducho's was in business - since the restaurant didn't directly front Shepherd, it wasn't very visible to people driving by, hence the tall sign, which was brightly lit up with neon and left no doubt where Ducho's was. 

Glad to see the building will once more be reverting to its roots as a restaurant. Another Hughie's location will be a nice addition to the neighborhood. 

Thanks for the correction and history of the propety.

Yes, I'm aware of the event hall Ducho's operating at this address prior to the church. I was going off the assumption of nearly 50 years based off the church's ownership of the propety in the 70's. My mistake.

8 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Thanks for the correction and history of the propety.

Yes, I'm aware of the event hall Ducho's operating at this address prior to the church. I was going off the assumption of nearly 50 years based off the church's ownership of the propety in the 70's. My mistake.

The church did not own the property in the 70's. It was owned by the Duchos. Edgar and Wilma Ducho transferred ownership of Kentwood Manor Block C Lots 62, 63, 64, and 65 to Ducho's Steakhouse No 1, Inc, a Texas Corporation, in July 1970.

The steakhouse borrowed money against the property and failed to repay the loan. The property was acquired by NGO SON DA ETAL and NGUYEN TRINH LE ETAL in June of 2003 via a trustee sale.

Living Faith Church acquired the property in December 2003, and sold it to BM Holdings in February of 2016.

The HCAD ownership history frequently has missing owners or other mistakes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ross said:

The church did not own the property in the 70's. It was owned by the Duchos. Edgar and Wilma Ducho transferred ownership of Kentwood Manor Block C Lots 62, 63, 64, and 65 to Ducho's Steakhouse No 1, Inc, a Texas Corporation, in July 1970.

The steakhouse borrowed money against the property and failed to repay the loan. The property was acquired by NGO SON DA ETAL and NGUYEN TRINH LE ETAL in June of 2003 via a trustee sale.

Living Faith Church acquired the property in December 2003, and sold it to BM Holdings in February of 2016.

The HCAD ownership history frequently has missing owners or other mistakes.

From an admittedly cursory search, it appears that Ducho's Steakhouse No. 1 was registered as a corporation in March 1968. Edgar's brother Calvin and his wife Joann are listed as President and Secretary/Treasurer, respectively, but I'm not sure if this was the case when the company was established. Edgar and Wilma stepped back from daily operations of the business at some point, as Calvin and Joann were the only Ducho family members still working there when it closed. Joann passed away in 2009 and Calvin in 2015, but as of 2018 both Edgar and Wilma were still alive and living in Gonzales. 

We ate there very shortly before they closed, and when I asked the cashier about the impending closure, all she mentioned was the Duchos had decided to retire. I remember not being too surprised, as their business had clearly fallen way off since the glory days of the 1970s - it wasn't unusual for there to be only 1-2 other tables occupied when we dined there toward the end. I did not know about the loan and subsequent default, but that certainly adds a significant wrinkle to the story.

• 9 months later...

Several permits were filed today for 633 Heidrich St:

• Building permit
  • Certificate of occupancy permit
  • Development review permit
  • Health plan review permit
  • Parking review permit 

Local Vietnamese restaurant Hughie's opening at this location in the Independence Heights area.  

Building permit

e3TryR1.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

• The title was changed to 633 Heidrich St