So, Is Steve Jobs, Lucky Or Smart ?

TJones

How in the world does this guy get soooooooooo damn lucky. Ok, so Bill Gates steals his "windows" and almost bankrupts Steve. Bill buys Apple, and Steve takes money from sale and puts it into PIXAR. Freaking PIXAR goes gangbusters and Disney is forced to buy them for 7 BILLION dollars, YES, 7 BILLION and guess who the largest PIXAR stockholder is........ STEVE JOBS ! Now, Steve is the biggest shareholder of Disney with 15%. The guy is phenomenal. Right place at the right time, or just a financial wizard ? Thoughts ?

How in the world does this guy get soooooooooo damn lucky. Ok, so Bill Gates steals his "windows" and almost bankrupts Steve. Bill buys Apple, and Steve takes money from sale and puts it into PIXAR. Freaking PIXAR goes gangbusters and Disney is forced to buy them for 7 BILLION dollars, YES, 7 BILLION and guess who the largest PIXAR stockholder is........ STEVE JOBS ! Now, Steve is the biggest shareholder of Disney with 15%. The guy is phenomenal. Right place at the right time, or just a financial wizard ? Thoughts ?

He must be good, otherwise he wouldn't always bounce back. Luck can only take you so far. Of course, his 3-4 billion dollar personal net worth doesn't hurt. when you throw that kind of money around, something's bound to come out in your favor.

which brings me to my question...why does anyone need a billion dollars? there are over 600 billionaires worldwide. Most are billionaires many times over. Bill Gates is worth 46 billion dollars. What else is there to buy? At what point does personal wealth become garish and it's time to re-structure your value system? I know that Bill Gates and others are quite involved in charities, but should they re-think how they amass their fortune and what their earnings mean in the grand scheme of things?

I can't even put my mind around a billion dollars. That's 1,000 MILLION dollars. I'd like to think that after the first billion, I'd be looking for ways to make the rest of my fortune make a difference for other people. Maybe I'd buy Houston a train system that really worked...

I remember those terrible years for Apple - about 94-98-ish - when it looked like the company was going bankrupt. Steve Jobs probably didn't invent the iPod or the iMac but he did turn the company around as far as its cultural relevance.

I remember those terrible years for Apple - about 94-98-ish - when it looked like the company was going bankrupt. Steve Jobs probably didn't invent the iPod or the iMac but he did turn the company around as far as its cultural relevance.

In 94-98 I worked in advertising -- still do -- and everyone in my company used a Mac. They were just as far ahead of PCs then as they are now, which is to say that a 98 Mac is probably similar in capabilities to a current PC.

The triumph of Apple has been in marketing and ingeniously expanding their product line. Jobs had a lot to do with that, both from inside and outside the company. They have always had the better box, though.

Right place at the right time, or just a financial wizard ? Thoughts ?

You don't amass that much wealth buy just being smart....because there's a lot of smart people in the world who try, and never make it big. Right place at the right time is most certainly a big factor in his success.

Archived