White Oak Station: Mixed-Use Development At 600-601 W. 6th St.

hindesky

Looks like they have 3 spaces open for Leasing. The renderings in the first pic in addition to the plant wall facing north seem like there will be significant upgrades to change the look and feel and turn this into a more modern desirable destination. I walk my dog around this building a lot. It’s an interesting location with a lot of nature behind it. Honestly they need to have a rooftop garden with dining here. Those views would be very very impressive 

FB6A73DA-5C41-4C3D-A4B1-D04A7C144D69.jpeg

ED82CBF2-4736-4C77-9B9E-1A0F927D9AB8.jpeg

A4C4CE75-22F0-401A-9245-430B7AC26B9F.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

"A popular Houston immersive exhibition outside of Spring Branch is making a major move to arguably the city’s hottest Inner Loop neighborhood. Lighthouse Immersive’s new home will be housed in White Oak Station (600 W. 6th St.), a group of redeveloped, multi-purpose industrial spaces that include a boutique gym, retail, and more."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/08-10-22-lighthouse-immersive-houston-heights-white-oak-station-founders-district-brittmoore-immersive-monet-van-gogh/#slide=0

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Heard from somebody that this property will/has change/d hands and the new developers are seeking a roadway extension of W 6th St across the detention pond. Can anyone do some magic to find out any proof of this? My take is that there should be a connection across West 6th St on the detention pond but they should be boardwalk style and for pedestrians only. 

2BC5EFF9-C8A0-48AD-AF05-EBED8DCEBDD2.jpeg

303DEE7D-0060-4845-A68F-3FB024890574.jpeg

Edited by emmanume
  • Like 5

It has been a long time, but I recall the Rutland Detention Pond site had very serious environmental issues because it used to be a, not sure which, refinery/city incinerator/steel mill or some sort of other industrial site.  There was a brief attempt to make the detention pond a "wet bottom" detention pond with some park amenities kind of like Willow Waterhole.  But the cost of remediation was very high due to all the past industrial uses and there was no way to cost effectively dig any deeper to have a permanent water feature.  There was also talk about connecting W 6th and the same issue was raised about having to dig to build supports for a bridge.  So, I would doubt the prospects of building a bridge to connect W 6th.  Even if it was a possibility, it would probably be a ten plus year project given the environmental issues and planning/construction process.

• Like 1

This isnt the first time I hear of this concern due to environmental cleanup, but never from TxDOT themselves. I've had a few meetings with TxDOT about making the area into a park with more defined trails and other amenities such as boardwalks, amphitheaters on the banks, etc.  Their Director of Hydrology approves any use that does not affect the volume capacity of the basin. Of course, they approve of the project so long as someone else is maintaining it - this is the tricky part.

They have not expressed any environmental concerns.. Maybe he doesnt know about them? Or is it possible that after 10 years of filtering rain water, the ground may have remediated much of the impact 🤪

2 hours ago, s3mh said:

It has been a long time, but I recall the Rutland Detention Pond site had very serious environmental issues because it used to be a, not sure which, refinery/city incinerator/steel mill or some sort of other industrial site.  There was a brief attempt to make the detention pond a "wet bottom" detention pond with some park amenities kind of like Willow Waterhole.  But the cost of remediation was very high due to all the past industrial uses and there was no way to cost effectively dig any deeper to have a permanent water feature.  There was also talk about connecting W 6th and the same issue was raised about having to dig to build supports for a bridge.  So, I would doubt the prospects of building a bridge to connect W 6th.  Even if it was a possibility, it would probably be a ten plus year project given the environmental issues and planning/construction process.

The Aztec site plus some other property belonged to Swift Agricultural Chemicals until the 70's. Here's the 1907 map that shows the Heights block numbers https://www.harriscountyarchives.com/Maps/imgZ.html?img=houston1907_1 and here's a snip of the area from that map

image.png.feea4e51a388b9ed0d15c7e37120df51.png

Blocks 272 and 273 appear to be the retention pond, along with the blocks to the South. 6th is platted as a through street, but there were buildings on it on 1944 and 1953 as shown on Google Earth. In addition, the bayou was rerouted, but the old path can be seen in the pond. Construction of the pond started in 2010 or 2011. Before that there were a number of trailers and objects stored there, along with some buildings.

I would not be surprised if there is contamination, given that there appears to be some sort of manufacturing facility on the old aerials, and it was owned by a chemical company.

I've attached the pdf files of the deeds where Swift sold the properties.

Blocks 269 etc.pdf Blocks 271 etc.pdf

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hindesky said:

I could see the Aztec property being developed but the Heights Reservoir belongs to TX Dot probably for flood abatement. It seems that a road could be built, seems to be plated for one @wilcal?

So that's the HCAD parcel data, which looks kind of weird because it shows that corridor for 6th street, and I don't know this for sure, but I would imagine that TXDOT acquired it from the city, which is why when you click the parcel on either side, the whole thing lights up. Basically, 6th does not exist in the detention anymore and the city prob doesn't own it.

The current legal description is showing as tracts "TR 40 BLKS 272 273 294 & 295 HOUSTON HEIGHTS" so if anyone builds something, they're going to have to replat. When they replat, they are going to have to address the stub street on 6th. That means either dedicating ROW for 6th (the rest is 70') or getting a variance. 

We're getting a bit out of my knowledge here, but the south of the detention reserve has enough frontage on the 6th stub for street access, so they might not have to build 6th or could built the portion of Rutland that is dedicated, but not built. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

So that's the HCAD parcel data, which looks kind of weird because it shows that corridor for 6th street, and I don't know this for sure, but I would imagine that TXDOT acquired it from the city, which is why when you click the parcel on either side, the whole thing lights up. Basically, 6th does not exist in the detention anymore and the city prob doesn't own it.

The current legal description is showing as tracts "TR 40 BLKS 272 273 294 & 295 HOUSTON HEIGHTS" so if anyone builds something, they're going to have to replat. When they replat, they are going to have to address the stub street on 6th. That means either dedicating ROW for 6th (the rest is 70') or getting a variance. 

We're getting a bit out of my knowledge here, but the south of the detention reserve has enough frontage on the 6th stub for street access, so they might not have to build 6th or could built the portion of Rutland that is dedicated, but not built. 

6th in the pond had buildings on top of it from at least 1907. The map I linked to above shows a building on top of 6th between Ashland and Portland(now Tulane), and the aerials from 1944 forward show that as well. The City probably abandoned it way back in the early days. Or, the city of Houston Heights abandoned it before annexation. The attached file contains the metes and bounds from when the property was sold to Bracher Lumber by David Bracher in October 1972

Blocks 272 273 294 295 Heights.pdf

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Aztec Events & Tents At 601 W. 6th St.
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Corporate Liquidators, the wholesale office company that was operating at the massive corner space overlooking the wooded area at 650 W 6th Wt is no longer there. Lot of dirt moving inside the building today. From the updated brochure, it looks like Elite Pickleball will be taking over their spot and the small space currently taken over by Elite Pickleball will be available in July 2024. The brochure also includes plans for the Aztec property adjacent to here as Phase II of this development 

IMG_9880.png

IMG_9881.jpeg

IMG_9882.jpeg

8 hours ago, bookey23 said:

Also, that brochure has a rendering of The Swift Building redevelopment. Anyone have any idea where they got that?

The rendering of the Swift  (Swift & Co. Refinery / Swift and Company Refinery) was posted to the forum in 2022. The building, which is expected to be redeveloped soon, is located at 621 Waverly St.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/31343-m%E2%80%A2k%E2%80%A2t-the-standard-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=652746

On 3/31/2022 at 4:55 PM, Urbannizer said:

zT6nEGW.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hindesky said:

I think we need to merge these two topics since they are part of the same development by The Deal Company.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/49530-aztec-events-tents-at-601-w-6th-st/

@hindesky is right. The 600 W 6th St and 601 W 6th St parcels are indeed part of the White Oak Station development.

@Urbannizer, @Triton, or other moderators, please consider merging the two topics together. Also, may want to rename the topic to White Oak Station - 600-601 W 6th St.