4101 Clinton Dr

IntheKnowHouston

However, I believe the 4720 Clinton broker listing regarding the southeast corner quadrant of Hirsh and Clinton's intersection has highlit an inaccurate land parcel area.  If their parcel actually extended as far west toward the east side of Hirsh as they draw it, they would have 25 acres, not just 12.  Probably it stops at Emile Street and does not include the land of the grassroots coliving micro-hood behind Japhet Creek Park -- Which, BTW, would be my definite pick over the expensive "Houston's first coliving complex" in EaDo.

The 4101 Clinton property is very close to a Tower 5 junction, the prominent freight derailment location in the Houston complex. There have been three derailments there in the last five months alone -- July 1, Oct. 20, and Saturday -- with the most recent incident causing damage to rail and city infrastructure as well as private property. 

Here are photos of the Dec. 3 derailment. The FRA has not yet posted the responsible Class I's investigative results, but railcars were overturned on the line's north side and south side, and black cargoes spilled all over the lot. This property appears to be abutting the southern edge

Sadly the esplanade was severely damaged and at least two oak trees were taken out. They were placed on the right side of the road Sunday and later removed. 

image.jpeg.e46a5650e740fd01748209aa47caa583.jpegimage.jpeg.08c2311753b8b228354145f31c9d4382.jpeg

There have been eight derailments at this junction in 2022 that have been reported to the FRA. Railroads are mostly relied upon to self-report, as FRA staffers are few and there are many miles of track. There was more than one a month in 2021.

I imagine 4101 Clinton will have a hard time moving unless changes are made at this junction. Future occupants would risk being in the line of derailments. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Union Pacific stated the root cause of the July and October derailments was string-lining, a phenomenon where the compressive forces of trailing railcars push those in front of them off the tracks. Every railroad-generated derailment report for this junction made available by the FRA or discussed during a public hearing that I have seen claim lighter-loaded or fully empty cars were erroneously placed in front of heavier-loaded cars by rail yard crews. The heavier cars pushed the lighter ones off during the curve. The resolution is additional railcar building training, not track or speed changes.

In the community meetings and public hearings I've attended or watched, Class Is are typically very quick to refute regulators, environmental advocates, and neighbors along rail line junctions that turn sharply like this one when they question whether speed or track upkeep is a cause. Like many governmental entities, the FRA has minimal penalty mechanisms at its disposal, so things go unchanged. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 1