Oak Forest Shopping Center At 1352 W. 43rd St.

MarthaG

Anybody know what's up with foodland on ella @ judiway? Looks like it was boarded up and the sign was taken down as of sunday. Maybe a facelift or closed for good?

The store is closed but I've heard differing stories as to why. One story has it that they were losing money, the other story goes that they sold the land for 6 MEEEELION dollars. I find the losing money story more plausible....6 MEEELION sounds high.

I used to frequent that area before I was shipped out of Houston for my job....so the old Mobil is gone at the corner of 34th?

I used to frequent the chinese fish market next to the foodland on ella but was mad when it burned down as they had the best shrimp fried rice in the area..it reopened as a fullscale chinese restaurant I think but I never been in it since it reopened...

I also loved the shipley's...best I've ever eaten

the other story goes that they sold the land for 6 MEEEELION dollars. I find the losing money story more plausible....6 MEEELION sounds high.

I doubt it, $6,000,000 would be extremely high for the area. The site is 2.98 acres and a $6,000,000 price tag for the land would be $46.16 per square foot before any adjustments for demolition. The only land sale remotely comparable within a 3 mile radius is a 3.3 acre site on W34th that sold in February of 2007 for about $10.00 per square foot. If you were REALLY generous and applied a $15 per square foot price tag on the dirt you are looking at around $1,950,000 for the land.

I doubt someone bought it for the improvements, you're talking about a dilapidated supermarket built in 1960 at the end of its economic life. In Houston there are vacant supermarkets built in the 1990s like Albertson's that aren't selling for more than $50 per square foot. $6,000,000 for the 32,596SF supermarket would be equal to $184 per square foot. There's no way.

I'm with jm1fd, I believe the losing money story. Not buying the $6,000,000 story.

I used to frequent that area before I was shipped out of Houston for my job....so the old Mobil is gone at the corner of 34th?

Yeah....at that corner we've now got a shady looking car repair place, a shady looking used tire store/car wash, a shady looking used car lot, and a rather un-shady bright orange Cuban/Mexican food place (el Rey) which is actually quite tasty.

Any word on foodland...I would love love love an HEB!!!!! That would be AWESOME!!!

There is not enough land to build a decent sized HEB, no bigger than the one at Ella & W 18th. The Food Land site is only 3.3 acres. Your medium sized HEB stores are around 80,000 square feet and due to their parking needs generally require an 8 to 10 acre site (new HEB Plus! stores are around 100,000 sf). I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for any new HEB stores inside the loop due to the lack of available sites and high land prices.

There is not enough land to build a decent sized HEB, no bigger than the one at Ella & W 18th. The Food Land site is only 3.3 acres. Your medium sized HEB stores are around 80,000 square feet and due to their parking needs generally require an 8 to 10 acre site (new HEB Plus! stores are around 100,000 sf). I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for any new HEB stores inside the loop due to the lack of available sites and high land prices.

I wonder how they will fit the proposed HEB at Buffalo, between Westpark and Bissonnet. I know that Molina's is moving and Luby's has been gone for a while. Still, I can't see it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been hoping for a Chick-Fil-A..so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But we need a decent restaurant.

The new bank is Wachovia. I like their building style, but we do not need ANOTHER bank in that block. Makes me think the banks making the BIG bucks these days.

Next to Starbucks in Message Envy is going in...or at least their sign went in.

With the current turn in economy I'm concerned about this shopping center. Tenants do not seem to be committing. The Starbucks does not seem to be busy enough. Even though I'm about to make a run for an Ice Tea myself.

My latest gripe about Oak Forest is that TACKY TACKY Pawn Shop sign on Ella across from Shipley's. Did they really need the Huge sign? Why is it so low that it is All you see when you cross the RR Track. Seems like there should be some regulations on size and height of signs.

• 3 weeks later...

it's sad to see so many of the smaller shopping centers fall...i remember so many of the stores everyone's mentioning at the other oak forest shopping center (at one time that place was REALLY hopping)...and not just from the 45's at talleys - i remember going there too H2B...weingarten's was there too...western auto...palais royal...

as for the shopping center on mangum, there was TG&Y (one of the kid's shows promoted TG&Y as the place to get the toys on their show)...the drug store was Dugan Drugs back in the late 50's...Smitty's hamburgers was down the street before DQ went in...i can't remember the name of the grocery store there, but i know it became a randall's eventually...and swonke's grocery was right down the street...i don't remember any of the other stores in the center...maybe someone that went to catherine smith es

down the street would know... :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
Yes. On Shepherd near 43rd. The combination SEARS sign and bus stop out front is the best part.

Can someone tell me what the condition is, of the Sears on Shepherd? Does it look like the one on S. Main. (bad re-model)...is it still open? Does it look like all the new ones?

Can someone tell me what the condition is, of the Sears on Shepherd? Does it look like the one on S. Main. (bad re-model)...is it still open? Does it look like all the new ones?

I'm like 99% sure it's still open, but I can't comment on the inside...haven't been in there since the 80's. I think it still has a cool red neon retro-ish sign outside

I'm like 99% sure it's still open, but I can't comment on the inside...haven't been in there since the 80's. I think it still has a cool red neon retro-ish sign outside

It's still open, and it seems to do a decent amount of business. It doesn't look like the new ones on the inside, but I'd probably characterize it as more of a so-so facelift than a bad remodel. Up until a couple of years ago, they still had the original escalator signs warning people to be careful which had been there for at least 40 years.

It's still open, and it seems to do a decent amount of business. It doesn't look like the new ones on the inside, but I'd probably characterize it as more of a so-so facelift than a bad remodel. Up until a couple of years ago, they still had the original escalator signs warning people to be careful which had been there for at least 40 years.

Cool - glad it's still open! I drive by it at least once a week...next time I'm going to go in and take a peek. I remember they had a candy counter on the bottom floor in the 80s

That makes me sad to think about those signs, and what happened to them. To many people they would be "just junk".I need to get over there and take some pics.

We've purchased major appliances at that Sears a couple of times over the past year. It's nothing fancy inside (pretty much your standard 90's Sears remodel) but the staff have always been helpful.

Does anyone know what the bldg. exterior looks like? 1950's refacing, or newer remodel? And who was the architect on this one? year built? Just thought I'd ask... :P .

Does anyone know what the bldg. exterior looks like? 1950's refacing, or newer remodel? And who was the architect on this one? year built? Just thought I'd ask... :P .

The only thing remarkable about the exterior is the SEARS sign/bus shelter combination out front. The rest of the building is big, boring, white and boxy.

• Like 1

any new updates as to the other businesses that will move in near that new Starbucks?

And now I'm curious about what businesses will move in to the shopping center that is only a graded dirt lot at Oak Forest and 43rd. Please, let there be a real restaurant. Not a Pizza Hut, not a Subway, not a McDonalds.

• The title was changed to Oak Forest Developments
  • 7 months later...

Marketing materials for Oak Forest Shopping Center.

This shopping center is located at W 43rd St and Ella Blvd. It consists of several parcels, the majority of which is owned by Kimco Realty.

1223 W 43rd St - 1345 W 43rd St  and 1352 W 43rd St - 1368 W 43rd St are some of the addresses associated with the massive retail development.

https://properties.kimcorealty.com/p/commercial-real-estate-listings/Houston-TX-77018/118820

https://properties.kimcorealty.com/property/output/document/view/id:89773

PGM2i3G.jpg

fsk6adN.jpg

Most recent site plan for Oak Forest Shopping Center.

This shopping center is located at W 43rd St and Ella Blvd. It consists of several parcels, the majority of which is owned by Kimco Realty.

1223 W 43rd St - 1345 W 43rd St  and 1352 W 43rd St - 1368 W 43rd St are some of the addresses associated with the massive retail development.

Tenants / Availability 

1 Airrosti 1,322 sf
2 MyOwn Cleaners 964 sf
3 U P Liquor 1,614 sf
4 Availablele 1,300 sf
5 H & R Block 1,300 sf
6 Pepperoni's 1,300 sf
7 GNC 1,300 sf
8 My Kid's Dentist & Orthodontic 5,984 sf
9 Kroger 65,206 sf
10 Supercuts 1,400 sf
11 Acuity Eyecare Group 1,400 sf
12 D’Limo Nail Lounge 5,650 sf
15 The Water Tree 1,000 sf
16 Postnet 1,200 sf
17 Watches By Paulin 1,200 sf
18 PetSmart 7,356 sf
19 MB2 Dental Solutions 2,185 sf
20 Subway 1,400 sf
21 Nails By Tina 1,200 sf
22 Sally Beauty Supply 1,620 sf
23 Ross Dress for Less 27,955 sf
24 Dollar Tree 15,120 sf
25 Mattress Firm 5,000 sf
26 Village Medical 3,756 sf
27 Wells Fargo 3,955 sf
voXGDXC.jpg

• The title was changed to Oak Forest Shopping Center Developments
On 1/30/2023 at 5:15 PM, goofy said:

There just seems to be so much opportunity to do something better with this site. The Kroger isn’t very nice despite this being a nice (now shockingly expensive) neighborhood. 

I agree. Hopefully Kimco will consider redeveloping Oak Forest Shopping Center in the next few years.

Added green space and more retail, specifically dining options, would be welcome. At the moment, there is so much surface parking taking up space, in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I agree. Hopefully Kimco will consider redeveloping Oak Forest Shopping Center in the next few years.

Added green space and more retail, specifically dining options, would be welcome. At the moment, there is so much surface parking taking up space, in my humble opinion.

My family did real estate dev in Austin and Georgetown for many moons. When we bought here, I was shocked to see how low rent the retail and dining in the area are. Since we moved up here in 2021, the gravity seems to have shifted with better dining and retail planned. We love the area and hope to get a few rent houses up here. It truly feels more open and cooler than other parts of the city. We love the trees and people here. We need a closer target and I think this side of town would support high end retail, especially with the spike in prices in independence heights and now acres homes. 

Are you in the garden oaks Facebook?

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Oak Forest Shopping Center At 1352 W. 43rd St.
  • 3 months later...

The latest marketing materials for Oak Forest Shopping Center.

This shopping center is located at W 43rd St and Ella Blvd. It consists of several parcels owned by Kimco Realty.

Below is a map with Oak Forest Shopping Center outlined.

https://properties.kimcorealty.com/p/commercial-real-estate-listings/Houston-TX-77018/118820

https://properties.kimcorealty.com/property/output/document/view/id:145573

HijMVcn.jpg