Montagu Hotel At 804 Fannin St.

editor

I recently noticed that some interesting structures had popped up across from the Montague Hotel.

Having no clue what they are, I was wondering if someone did. Could this be part of the Montague Hotel's way to accommodate parking for their customers?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ Heh. Agreed. And certainly nothing all that elaborate. Although, I think the tent coverings will have an overall better effect on the area. The lot used to be one of the filthiest downtown (I'm sure 'Coog can back me up on this).

If the nearby Texaco building does see a renovation and the Montagu continues to evolve, then maybe this lot becomes an actual garage over the next decade.

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I was walking by the area and saw a few workmen putting up lights (or whatever) in the tents and I asked them about it.

Turns out the tents are for Club Quarter's guests. I don't know if they own the lot, if they don't, then they're probably paying a premium for that particular section for their guests.

The other day I was walking by the area and saw a few workmen putting up lights (or whatever) in the tents and I asked them about it.

Turns out the tents are for Club Quarter's guests. I don't know if they own the lot, if they don't, then they're probably paying a premium for that particular section for their guests.

Club Quarters (Master Works) purchased the lot in 2006.

So it's exclusively for CQ's clients? I guess they're going to have someone full time to monitor people coming and going on it.

I believe the tent-covered spaces are for guests of the hotel. But the parking lot is more than what the hotel needs, so it's probably the same parking operator working the lot, for public parking as well as for the garage.

Man, is the guy operating that lot is good. Squeezes a ton of cars on it.

• 4 months later...

I received this e-mail today.

I just went by the property and the management told me it was closed. It has been sold and the residents have been told to relocate by the end of the month. I hope the new owners save the structure. It is a beautiful building.

I heard a rumor that Hines (or some big developer) bought the entire block, which includes The Old West building. Not sure if that's true or not...

Well hopefully someone does something with it. My office is down the street so I pass it several times a day and it's an eyesore, not to mention the fact that they never got rid of all the shady people that live there or whatever they do there. They are always outside. We walk on the other side of the street when going to lunch.

Well hopefully someone does something with it. My office is down the street so I pass it several times a day and it's an eyesore, not to mention the fact that they never got rid of all the shady people that live there or whatever they do there. They are always outside. We walk on the other side of the street when going to lunch.

i know a few who've lived there for years. for the owner to sell, i'll bet there were some big bucks involved. With the way the market is, i hope that the Rebirth in the title doesn't become Burial.

i know a few who've lived there for years. for the owner to sell, i'll bet there were some big bucks involved. With the way the market is, i hope that the Rebirth in the title doesn't become Burial.

It had been on the market for the past several months. I believe the asking price was 6.5 million.

HA! I know people who have been KICKED OUT of there! :lol:

You are right, though. At $6.5 mil, it is not likely to look anything like it has. Hopefully, it is a redo instead of a teardown.

If whomever bought the Mound-A-Goo Hotel also owns the rest of the block...c-ya ole gal.

Hopefully it is Hines (who has been rumored to be sniffing around the Old West Bldg.) because that could possibly mean something BIG.

Even if Hines has purchased it, that is far from any kind of guarantee of a quality redevelopment. Witness the "architecturally significant" parking garage that is replacing the old San Jacinto building. After Hines bought the Lamar Hotel block and demolished all the buildings it sat as a surface parking lot for 15 years.

Even if Hines has purchased it, that is far from any kind of guarantee of a quality redevelopment. Witness the "architecturally significant" parking garage that is replacing the old San Jacinto building. After Hines bought the Lamar Hotel block and demolished all the buildings it sat as a surface parking lot for 15 years.

This is one block where I'm willing to accept virtually anything in place of what is currently there. This site is the Greyhound Bus Station of downtown proper. Be it a parking garage, CVS with parking lot, or even surface lot, I don't care. As long as it makes the smell go away I'm happy.

Spire did a nice job on the exterior Stowers (even though Spire later defected), and the Bond store in between it and the Montagu isn't so bad inside. There is no reason someone with the expertise, money, and initiative to restore couldn't turn this block into something great.

Now, Hines - I wouldn't count on them for anything (for reasons Subdude gave above)

... the Montagu isn't so bad inside.

I went in the Montagu back in May when I was in the area. I had read about its "comeback" and wanted to see it first hand. For any seasoned traveler, it would be quite a shock. It wasn't horrible by any stretch, but it certainly wasn't like any hotel my middle-class self had ever stayed in. I was hoping for its continued improvement, but perhaps it's not in the cards.

I went in the Montagu back in May when I was in the area. I had read about its "comeback" and wanted to see it first hand. For any seasoned traveler, it would be quite a shock. It wasn't horrible by any stretch, but it certainly wasn't like any hotel my middle-class self had ever stayed in. I was hoping for its continued improvement, but perhaps it's not in the cards.

Wow, you're brave. How was the crack? lol

There is an article from the HBJ somewhere in this forum that talks about the development on this block. It is a Hines development, and they will tear down everything except the the white building in the corner that was converted to office condos recently (can't remember the name). It is very uncommon for a developer to go hard on a contract unless they are ready to go, although with Hines' deep pockets it might be different.

Hines' plans for that block are a 40-50 story building, all curtain wall. It's no Pennzoil, but it is definitely better that the Calpine building they did at 717 Texas. I hope they get started on it soon, although they are waiting to get a major tenant.

i meant to write that the old Bond store wasn't too bad inside, but both deserve to be rehabbed, imo :blush:

There is an article from the HBJ somewhere in this forum that talks about the development on this block. It is a Hines development, and they will tear down everything except the the white building in the corner that was converted to office condos recently (can't remember the name). It is very uncommon for a developer to go hard on a contract unless they are ready to go, although with Hines' deep pockets it might be different.

Hines' plans for that block are a 40-50 story building, all curtain wall. It's no Pennzoil, but it is definitely better that the Calpine building they did at 717 Texas. I hope they get started on it soon, although they are waiting to get a major tenant.

the white building is the old Stowers furniture building.

It would be great if Hines could use the remaining structures - i know they have the $, and it might make up a little for the parking garage fiasco where they tore down the old San Jacinto/Bender hotel...

Wow, you're brave. How was the crack? lol

I wouldn't have gone in by myself. I had some family with me -- and they reluctantly agreed to go in. When we walked in the woman at the desk was talking to some disheveled man, and they both stopped talking and turn to look at us like we really didn't belong there (not in a rude way, just in a surprised way).

You could tell the place was decent back in the day, though.

I wouldn't have gone in by myself. I had some family with me -- and they reluctantly agreed to go in. When we walked in the woman at the desk was talking to some disheveled man, and they both stopped talking and turn to look at us like we really didn't belong there (not in a rude way, just in a surprised way).

You could tell the place was decent back in the day, though.

it used to be a nice place (Hotel Cotton era). the rooms aren't too small, but there are no phones - that, and many other upgrades would be necessary. good bones, though...

Source? I am not aware of any article from HBJ about this, or anything on HAIF. Is this getting confused with the Shamrock block proposal up the street? I can't imagine there would be two such similar projects so close to one another at the same time. Somehow I think the rumor about Hines originated on this board. I am also skeptical because of the proposals for Disco Tower and the one by Allen Center. Could downtown really absorb so many new towers?

from Kinkaid's post in this thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=10147

4) Hines of Houston are denying the rumors but they are still out there that the firm is planning to build something at the junction of Main, Walker, Fannin, and Rusk on what is described as the last "seedy" block on Main. No other details.

this may be the HBJ article referenced (and the topic of the above thread), but there is no talk of a project like that:

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../12/story1.html

from Kinkaid's post in this thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=10147

4) Hines of Houston are denying the rumors but they are still out there that the firm is planning to build something at the junction of Main, Walker, Fannin, and Rusk on what is described as the last "seedy" block on Main. No other details.

this may be the HBJ article referenced (and the topic of the above thread), but there is no talk of a project like that:

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../12/story1.html

Thanks Sev.

Archived