Montagu Hotel At 804 Fannin St.

editor

Source? I am not aware of any article from HBJ about this, or anything on HAIF. Is this getting confused with the Shamrock block proposal up the street? I can't imagine there would be two such similar projects so close to one another at the same time. Somehow I think the rumor about Hines originated on this board. I am also skeptical because of the proposals for Disco Tower and the one by Allen Center. Could downtown really absorb so many new towers?

It wouldn't be a surprise if they did put an new office building there with the downtown office occupancy rate at such a high and given the present demand for much needed office space. I will keep my eye on the place and ears open.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Source? I am not aware of any article from HBJ about this, or anything on HAIF. Is this getting confused with the Shamrock block proposal up the street? I can't imagine there would be two such similar projects so close to one another at the same time. Somehow I think the rumor about Hines originated on this board.

The last time I spoke to anybody with Hines, I tried to poke and prod for information on their downtown project. That person was "not allowed to say anything" at that time...but they didn't deny a project, either.

I am also skeptical because of the proposals for Disco Tower and the one by Allen Center. Could downtown really absorb so many new towers?

No. Not all at once, anyway.

The crack shack on the corner is closed today, but I don't know if that is a permanent thing or not.

Yeah, I saw the "The New West Bldg" sign ripped off today and the Metro soul food restaurant has been closed and its sign removed. Something is a-brewin'!

Hines has two projects in the works, the second one is indeed the Shamrock site. They will not move forward on both at the same time. They need large tenants to pre-lease before thay start. Given recent developments at the Monatgue, I would assume they are ready to move froward on that one first. I do happen to have seen drawings for that one so I can confirm it is an all-glass facade, 40-50 story office building (thereare even talks of a garden terrace at the 30+ story level, with tress visible from the street)

I have not seen anything on the Shamrock site, there is a lot of speculation on this forum about that being the "City Centre" project - I don't know. What I do know is that Hines is working on something there.

I can't say what my source is, but I can tell you it is very reliable.

Hines has two projects in the works, the second one is indeed the Shamrock site. They will not move forward on both at the same time. They need large tenants to pre-lease before thay start. Given recent developments at the Monatgue, I would assume they are ready to move froward on that one first. I do happen to have seen drawings for that one so I can confirm it is an all-glass facade, 40-50 story office building (thereare even talks of a garden terrace at the 30+ story level, with tress visible from the street)

I have not seen anything on the Shamrock site, there is a lot of speculation on this forum about that being the "City Centre" project - I don't know. What I do know is that Hines is working on something there.

That's good then. I just hope they set a higher standard for design than their parking garage across the street.

Based on what's in the Houston Business Journal today, I guess we can mark you as a "very reliable" source, as well. Thanks for giving us the scoop on HAIF before it hit the papers!

• 3 weeks later...

Feeling adventurous, I actually stayed at the Montague Hotel for a few days last September. That was a little scary.

As far as the "renovations" the owner boasted of, they were proceeding at a snail's pace. At the rate they were going, the renovation would've been finished in 2075. So, I stayed in one of the unrenovated rooms, and it was the most uncomfortable bed ever...even worse than the Downtown YMCA (where I've also stayed!). I don't think I actually got any sleep the whole time. And no, the "shady" characters had not vacated the premises...since the rooms weren't equipped with phones, residents had to either use the pay phone, or ask the desk clerk to use the hotel courtesy phone.

As I was checking in, some youngish guy was begging the clerk to let him use the free phone in loud, extreme language. He was obviously a drug addict and a psycho.

So...it's sad that places like this just go down the drain, but after staying there I had to conclude that the Montague's days were numbered...and I was thankful for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Bye Montagu..

Someone get some last pictures for the historical society before the implosion..

Maybe at least this will clean up that block? Or else the bums and beggars will have a nice new clean sidewalk to urinate on.

Whee!

Bye Montagu..

Someone get some last pictures for the historical society before the implosion..

I doubt that it will be imploded. The William Penn Hotel was brought down by wrecking ball because they couldn't get permission to implode it (or so I'm told.)

In addition to pictures, I hope some of the fixtures can be removed and recycled. Anyone need a pedestal sink (or 200?)

I doubt that it will be imploded. The William Penn Hotel was brought down by wrecking ball because they couldn't get permission to implode it (or so I'm told.)

In addition to pictures, I hope some of the fixtures can be removed and recycled. Anyone need a pedestal sink (or 200?)

Salvaging materials is really a great thing. I posted a thread about this exact topic recently because the new Regent Square mixed-use development that is replacing the Allen House is currently doing this and donating all of it to Historic Houston. But the problem might be that this hotel is so trashed out by the drug addicts and prostitutes that there might not be anything left worth salvaging.

there were very few original items left - most looked like a bad redo from the seventies

the windows in the front were original (they were not installed, just leaning against the newer ones, and also the ceiling molding:

montint004.jpg

Yes, I do, and the hotel is about the same age as my house. Do you remember seeing pedestals sinks? I thought there were wall hung sinks in there. I'll have to talk to Wyatt Earp.

Yes, I do, and the hotel is about the same age as my house. Do you remember seeing pedestals sinks? I thought there were wall hung sinks in there. I'll have to talk to Wyatt Earp.

Howdy,

Yes, the original sinks in the Montagu were wall-hung, porceline covered, cast iron models - all installed in 1912. Some of the rooms there still have them, though many were removed and replaced with new sinks during the abortive renovation effort in 2005-2006. Most of the original sinks were in very poor condition and would have required expert and expensive restoration work, though it would certainly be worthwhile for someone who only needed one or two of these sinks.

-Wyatt Earp

I went in the Montagu back in May when I was in the area. I had read about its "comeback" and wanted to see it first hand. For any seasoned traveler, it would be quite a shock. It wasn't horrible by any stretch, but it certainly wasn't like any hotel my middle-class self had ever stayed in. I was hoping for its continued improvement, but perhaps it's not in the cards.

You are right on the mark about the disappointing outcome of the renovation. The comeback effort failed because the owners lacked the commitment to see it through to a successful conclusion. The abortive renovation attempt began in July of 2005 and it had pretty much fizzled out by the Fall of 2006.

The primary problem was that the owners of the building lacked the financial resources to perform a first-class renovation. A secondary problem is that they had no real interest in historical preservation. The only reason renovation was attempted was because the Montagu had been in a declining revenue mode for many years and was rapidly approaching the point of no longer being viable as a business. It was a last-gasp effort to keep the hotel in business by trying to clean it up and improve the clientele. The only person in our family who was really interested in the Montagu's history was yours' truly here. I'm sort of the oddball in the family, it would seem.

Anyway, when I first initiated the renovation effort, I did indeed evict as many of the evil characters that populated the place as I could - knowing that the hotel could never be repaired and made profitable again unless the crackheads and winos and other unsavory sorts were run off. Sadly, I was eventually overruled about barring seedy people from renting there and was accused of costing the hotel money by "running off all of the customers." I'm embarassed to say that my relatives were more comfortable running a flophouse and seemed intimidated by the prospect of actually trying to become bona fide hoteliers catering to middle class clientele. That's a damn shame and we're going to lose another historic building because of that pig-headed attitude.

I finally grew weary of fighting to persuade my relatives to do the right thing and quit in disgust in January of 2007. Old management soon returned to the Montagu and six months later the building was sold and it now awaits the wrecking ball.

I'm sorry, y'all. I did what I could to try to do something decent with the place, but I was frustrated in the effort at every turn. It ain't no fun being run out of Tombstone by the bad guys, but sometimes that's how the story ends.

-Wyatt Earp

You are right on the mark about the disappointing outcome of the renovation. The comeback effort failed because the owners lacked the commitment to see it through to a successful conclusion.
That sure is a nice way to put it Wyatt from what i've heard.

I'm sorry, y'all. I did what I could to try to do something decent with the place, but I was frustrated in the effort at every turn. It ain't no fun being run out of Tombstone by the bad guys, but sometimes that's how the story ends.

-Wyatt Earp

I'm really sorry things didn't work out. If it helps, you've earned the admiration of many people. I wish there were more who, like you, have the guts to take a chance.

• 2 months later...

My understanding is that the Montagu is scheduled to be imploded sometime in January.

Although I'll miss the place, there's no reason its demolition shouldn't be recorded. Any ideas/suggestions on a good vantage point to take photos, video, or just stand and cry?

Well we could collectively rent a room at the Magnolia top floor. the only other vantage points would be Houston Center Two, club quarters (and they'd be evacuated, I'm sure), 1111 Rusk (no dice), and possibly the Reliant Building from one of the upper stories. Other than that, I think the surrounding area will be completely off limits

Well we could collectively rent a room at the Magnolia top floor. the only other vantage points would be Houston Center Two, club quarters (and they'd be evacuated, I'm sure), 1111 Rusk (no dice), and possibly the Reliant Building from one of the upper stories. Other than that, I think the surrounding area will be completely off limits

Maybe closer to January someone can contact the demo company (Cherry, I assume). They seemed like friendly folks at the Crowne Plaza Implosion, so I'd bet they'd answer a call to where they will designate as spectator areas.

• 1 month later...
Now teh homeless will really be homeless! I'm excited about this impending demo and it should be coming soon. The end of a crack smoking, whore mongering, piss infested era. Anybody have any new demo updates?

MontagueHotel-001.jpg

Love the photo! You can still see the charred smoke scar from the recent fire. (See up on top)

Some on this forum will not be happy you are slamming this decrepid dump. It hit the skids decades ago. All the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't patch up this baby. Just too many homeless at the door step. Was once an opulent place to be in when new, what about 70+ years ago. There were other threads where it was discussed. Put your helmet on! Yippee! :D

Archived