Car Talk 2023 thread

editor

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, samagon said:

family life means I had to trade in the 2 door BRZ on a 4 door.

I opted for a 4 door hatchback Corolla.

it says GR in front of that though, so I feel like I'm parenting correctly 😁

Hopefully you didn't get saddled with one of the ridiculous dealer markups I've been reading about.  I've always come down firmly on the Honda side of the Honda-vs-Toyota debate, but I have to admit the GR-badged cars are quite appealing. 

If you are looking to buy a car, don't.  The market is set to go off a cliff.  2023 deliveries of new vehicles are finally getting caught up with demand. Default rates on loans are rising and will keep going up through 2023 as people realize that they cannot afford the payments on the Ford F150 that they paid $10k over sticker for.  So, if you can patch together what you are currently driving for another year, you will probably save thousands compared to what you would spend right now.  

3 hours ago, s3mh said:

If you are looking to buy a car, don't.  The market is set to go off a cliff.  2023 deliveries of new vehicles are finally getting caught up with demand. Default rates on loans are rising and will keep going up through 2023 as people realize that they cannot afford the payments on the Ford F150 that they paid $10k over sticker for.  So, if you can patch together what you are currently driving for another year, you will probably save thousands compared to what you would spend right now.  

What's the earliest you recommend someone possibly buy if they had to? My daughter turns 16 in May, plan is to give her my wife's old Venza and buy her a new or couple year old Venza. Don't need to pull the trigger in May, or even through much of the Summer, but it will really make my wife's and my lives much easier come August if my daughter can be driving herself to school. 

Motley Fool isn't really suggesting 2023 to be any better than the last couple of years 

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/personal-finance/articles/will-it-be-easier-to-buy-a-car-in-2023/

Forbes seems slightly more optimistic

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/features/car-market-outlook-2023/

Edited by Reefmonkey

• 4 weeks later...

I'd agree with @s3mh, if you can wait, wait. even waiting until summer may be beneficial. 

the used car price trends.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/

average of all used cars sold YoY -8.7%. 90 day is -5.3% drop.

you do see a tick up for January in prices, but there are some that believe this to be similar to a 'dead cat bounce' you might see in the stock market before the bottom really drops out. I mean, no one can predict the future, but the signs point to things getting softer as we go on.

also, depending on the price you're targeting for your daughter, we're getting into tax season, and lower priced cars are always a bit higher demand during tax season (use the return to make a down payment on a <$10,000 car).

anyway, yeah, if you aren't doing a trade in, there's not a compelling reason to buy a car right now unless your back is against a wall. if you are doing a trade in though, you have to consider that your trade will absolutely be going down in price (same index as the chart referenced above), so maybe now isn't such a bad time to buy if you have a trade in? especially if you are buying new, and especially if the car you want to buy is already being discounted.

Edited by samagon

2 hours ago, NB_Brendan said:

Have y'all seen the new Ioniq 5? It looks so nice. I think that's gonna be my next car as long as they keep improving it down the line. 

I have had one since last March. Really spectacular car. Unfortunately, won't be eligible for the tax credit until they move production here in a few years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

I have had one since last March. Really spectacular car. Unfortunately, won't be eligible for the tax credit until they move production here in a few years.

I have a deposit on the upcoming Chevrolet Blazer EV - what advice would you give someone getting their first EV - any pros or cons welcome...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HoustonMidtown said:

I have a deposit on the upcoming Chevrolet Blazer EV - what advice would you give someone getting their first EV - any pros or cons welcome...

Sure! 

* Basically, you only NEED a 240V outlet for charging if you drive more than 40 miles/day. Otherwise a 120V is fine. 

* For road trips, high speed DCFC is still kind of hit or miss. I use Electrify America stations whenever I can because Hyundai gave Ioniq 5 purchasers a few years of free 30 minute charging sessions, and I'm pretty regularly disappointed by their hardware. Most of the stations have a 150kW limit and I regularly only end up getting 70-90 (my car does up to 230kW).

* You'll live your life between 10 and 80% in the battery. Batteries are like springs in that they become harder to charge the fuller (or more compressed) they get just like a spring. Hyundai advertised 18 minutes to go from 10 to 80% and I've seen that before, which is awesome. Going from 80 to 100% may take another 18+ minutes.

* Cold weather range reduction is a thing. I drove on the highway when it was in the 30s last month and took a pretty serious 20-30% range hit. Of course, not that big of a deal in Houston, but something to keep an eye on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/8/2023 at 5:31 PM, wilcal said:

* Cold weather range reduction is a thing. I drove on the highway when it was in the 30s last month and took a pretty serious 20-30% range hit. Of course, not that big of a deal in Houston, but something to keep an eye on.

after this last summer it's important to note that range reduction isn't just cold weather related.

I ended up canceling my reservation for the Blazer EV as GM could never seem to get me any information with regards to production or pricing - I wanted the Blazer EV SS and to this day, they still can't give me any details even though other models are already on sale.  Seems to be typical with GM lately...they've had lots of issues rolling out their EVs across all divisions (cough, Lyriq, cough)

So, I leased a Genesis Electrified GV70 a few months ago - I love the vehicle so far .  I installed a ChargePoint level2 home charger to cover my charging duties.  I haven't gone to the gas station in 3 months and since I have a free weekends electricity plan, haven't added any cost to my electric bill as I only need to recharge on weekends.  Time will tell how it works out, but so far, I'm a convert.   I am not a big road-tripper, but I did make one trip to Louisiana and back - had to stop once each way at an Electrify America charging station (at most Walmarts and 3yrs free included with Genesis) - I was lucky the stations all worked and charged to 80% in less than 20 minutes...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Saw my first Tesla Rusty Bucket Truck in person.

3Fvr15q.jpeg

Iv8WhTL.jpeg

It's almost inevitable that the Cybertruck will go down in automotive history as "the Pontiac Aztek of the 21st Century".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 8:07 AM, samagon said:

family life means I had to trade in the 2 door BRZ on a 4 door.

I opted for a 4 door hatchback Corolla.

it says GR in front of that though, so I feel like I'm parenting correctly 😁

GR1.PNG.3d34f5dda1a72298cad698f05d8c70e0.PNG

We bought a Corolla hatchback in July of 2022 and have been very pleased with it. My wife is the primary driver so we passed on the GR with its low-profile tires (she tends to clip curbs) and got the SE parked next to it.

I wish Toyota had the Corolla hatchback as a hybrid like it has with the Corolla sedan. Maybe it's a packaging issue. The hatchback is shorter than the sedan. That said, we consistently see mpg in the very high 30s and even 40-41 mpg on a few occasions.

Yes, you are parenting correctly. At the time I got my driver's license my father was driving a BMW 3.0 - their top-of-the-line model at the time. I really enjoyed driving that car but you can be assured I was very careful with it. 🙂 

Dad and I took a road trip to Colorado in the BMW right after I got my license. He wanted to look at some real estate which he decided not to purchase after seeing it. We bonded and he let me have somewhat free reign behind the wheel after we passed the DFW metroplex. Good parent all right!

• Like 2