They're Putting The Powerlines In The Middle Of The Freeway

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

I just taveled down the new part of The Katy Freeway and realized that they're putting the powerlines down the middle of the freeway! RIght on :-) . I've been thinking it would be cooler if you put the utitlities and rail traffic in the middle of the freeway.

What I'm meaning is that in all fututre superhighway designs have the frontage roads on the edges,the main lanes next,then he hotlans and in the very center have commuter,highspeed andfreight train tracks. Now, that's not the exact center bexause in the very ccenter we'd have all the utilitites. Utitlites like electrical power,gas,telephone,datalines,cable,water,cellphone towers,oil piplelines, all in the dead center of the highway. Yes it sounds objectionable but I'd like this setup.

what's truly horrifying is that we are using the same technology (above ground power lines & phone lines) as was first created by alexander graham bell over 100 years ago. they are still ugly and still dangerous. you would think that by now someone would have required that all new power lines (or those near new street construction and large developments) be buried in large enough conduit or pipes for future growth or technology.

there was an interesting episode on modern marvels last night about the history of communication technology. the streets were "blackened" by the mass of overhead power lines in parts of some cities. it reminded me of large scale street construction projects i've seen in the houston area where the ugly, tilting power lines are preserved, even though some utilities are redirected or improved underground prior to or during construction.

midtown should create an ordinance (if they haven't already) to require burying all above ground lines over the long term.

The process of putting the power lines underground is very behind the schedule. They have had to modify the contruction because of it. Like building the new lanes around the current poles. Heads should roll because of the screw-up.

The process of putting the power lines underground is very behind the schedule. They have had to modify the contruction because of it. Like building the new lanes around the current poles. Heads should roll because of the screw-up.

I assume that the power lines are CenterPoint Energy's lines, and that they're responsible for putting them underground.

I've heard that they're waaaaaaaaay behind schedule all over the city (and surrounding counties) because they've put so many people into East Texas and Louisiana dealing with hurricane damage.

A lot of new developments are being impacted by this...builders are sitting on completed homes that they can't sell because there's no juice!

So I don't know that it's necessarily anyone's screw-up...just an act of "the god of your choice" (as Kinky would say).

I assume that the power lines are CenterPoint Energy's lines, and that they're responsible for putting them underground.

I've heard that they're waaaaaaaaay behind schedule all over the city (and surrounding counties) because they've put so many people into East Texas and Louisiana dealing with hurricane damage.

A lot of new developments are being impacted by this...builders are sitting on completed homes that they can't sell because there's no juice!

So I don't know that it's necessarily anyone's screw-up...just an act of "the god of your choice" (as Kinky would say).

I don't see any Centerpoint people working on the utility rerouting on the Katy. I think that it is all done by contractors. I read sometime back that the State underestimated the relocation effort, big time.

I remember my friend coming back from an extended stay in England and harping about how Houston needs to bury its power and cable lines. He wouldn't shut up about how ugly it all is and how in Cambridge everything is buried and what a difference it makes. I never noticed it until then! 10 years later and I can't forget that conversation. Now I see it everywhere and it makes me crazy. I find myself saying the same thing he did every time I hit an intersection and see nothing but tangles of wires. Egad. :mellow:

Guest Plastic
what's truly horrifying is that we are using the same technology (above ground power lines & phone lines) as was first created by alexander graham bell over 100 years ago. they are still ugly and still dangerous. you would think that by now someone would have required that all new power lines (or those near new street construction and large developments) be buried in large enough conduit or pipes for future growth or technology.

there was an interesting episode on modern marvels last night about the history of communication technology. the streets were "blackened" by the mass of overhead power lines in parts of some cities. it reminded me of large scale street construction projects i've seen in the houston area where the ugly, tilting power lines are preserved, even though some utilities are redirected or improved underground prior to or during construction.

midtown should create an ordinance (if they haven't already) to require burying all above ground lines over the long term.

Welll what other technology are we supposed to use...........microwaves? And puting lines above ground is cheaper than digging an burrying below.

You know, I never thought to put the gas,power,and telecommun lines below the highway. Sound construction put it backs up traffic if a powercable or pipe needs to be worked on.

I find it interesting being that ours are shorter and lower than the ones in California.

The SH 121 new intersection on I-35 have tall onramps put in

in Carrolton, TX

About how high of amount of feet are the one's they will put at the BW8-I-10 stack.

on the topic of above ground power lines versus buried lines...i think the bigger problem is billboards....power lines are much less obtrusive and eye catching as the billions of billboards everywhere

Amen to that!

• The title was changed to They're Putting The Powerlines In The Middle Of The Freeway

Archived