Sign in to follow this  
Boris

Park 8: Warehouse Complex at Beltway 8 & I-45

It's basically the area from Briar Forest/Westheimer and Beltway 8 down to about Bellaire and Beltway 8. From Briar Forest to about Westpark is the Westchase District and Bellaire/Beltway8 is Houston's Unofficial China/Vietnam town

The project is on track and is going to be completed Spring 2008. Below are the specs for the project.

Park 8 will consist of three beautiful 23 floor high-rise condominiums with commercial retail center and recreational facilities. Using the high-rise condominium concept, 1.2 million square feet are created over 17 acres of land, with 250,000 square feet allocated for commercial retail usage. Near downtown Houston, the building complex includes an adjoining parking lot and features swimming pools, fitness rooms, and game rooms, while also allowing pedestrian access to shops along the street.

The project is on track and is going to be completed Spring 2008. Below are the specs for the project.

Park 8 will consist of three beautiful 23 floor high-rise condominiums with commercial retail center and recreational facilities. Using the high-rise condominium concept, 1.2 million square feet are created over 17 acres of land, with 250,000 square feet allocated for commercial retail usage. Near downtown Houston, the building complex includes an adjoining parking lot and features swimming pools, fitness rooms, and game rooms, while also allowing pedestrian access to shops along the street.

Near Downtown Houston? April Fools, right?

Has construction started already? The completion date is only a year away!

Just to add a note about the two chinatowns, when I moved to Houston last summer, my supervisor at work was Chinese. When I asked her how to get to Chinatown, she told me to go to Bellaire. I asked her "isn't there a chinatown downtown" and she said no. But I read online that there was a chinatown downtown, so I decided to find out for myself. I took the metro downtown, walked to the GRB convention center and crossed the 59. All I saw were abandoned buildings, warehouses, the odd random townhouse (which looked out of place in such a desolate environment). I finally found ONE chinese grocery store and bought some tea. I asked the owner if there were any restaurants nearby. She said ther was one but it wasn't very good, and that I should go to Bellaire for good chinese food. I decided to check out the restaurant that she mentioned and it was boarded up. She didn't even know it was closed. And that was about all there was to "downtown chinatown".

Three months later when I bought a car, I drove out to Bellaire and it was MUCH more active, and the chinatown area in Bellaire was actually huge, although much more suburban than the chinatowns I've been to in NYC, Montreal, and Toronto.! So it doesn't surprise me that the development is there as opposed to the downtown chinatown.

That being said, I really wish there was a chinatown downtown that wasn't all strip malls and shopping centers like in Bellaire. Oh well...

There seems to be a lot of activity going on here over the past two weeks. A number of large pieces of equipment appears to be there and lots of dirt moving. Anyone know if this is finally under construction, or is this flood control work once again?

Looked like they were taking soil samples yesterday when I drove by. I think this thing is actually starting.

Looked like they were taking soil samples yesterday when I drove by. I think this thing is actually starting.

Yes, construction is beginning. Below is the project detail information.

Near downtown Houston, the building complex includes an adjoining parking lot and features swimming pools, fitness rooms, and game rooms, while also allowing pedestrian access to shops along the street.

Near downtown Houston?

No it's not at all. It's like at the Beltway in new Chinatown. I don't know why our project description sheet says that.

Probably written by someone who's never been to the site, or the city.

Subjective. It is what it is. I don't find much about Manhattan beautiful either but again... subjective.

However, the "near" downtown part is hilarious. I suppose if you wanted to assume that Westchase was DT Houston, then yeah... :rolleyes:

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

The large crane on the site caught my eye as I was driving into town this morning... thought I'd take a few pics and share.

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

Neat dragonfly in the first picture.

The website lists them as three 26-storey towers, if I recollect correctly. If it was 23 before, then maybe sales are strong.

The large crane on the site caught my eye as I was driving into town this morning... thought I'd take a few pics and share.

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

That dragonfly must have been huge! :)

Per the marketing office that is involved with the project, they are building the retail component and one condo tower & parking garage at the moment.

Here are two shots of the large model of the site in their sales office. I was told the 50% of the first tower's units had already been sold. Also had a brief discussion with the President of the project.

Park8Model1.jpg

Park8Model2.jpg

One thing that seems to never be mentioned is the fact that University General wants to build a 9-story hospital as a component of the project, but then most times we only see the view of the model from the west.

I was shown a 3D tour of the site on DVD, which they will begin mass producing for interested parties within the upcoming months. After a bit of hunting, I found it here as well.

They also gave me a few of their marketing mags and such, the majority of which are in chinese. Pretty pictures though! A long article portrays the residential component as somewhat of a senior-oriented development in conjunction with the hospital. Kinda caught my attention.

This looks like the eighties.

When one goes overseas, even to cutting-edge countries outside the English-speaking world (my experience has been Italy), designed media production values (like TV stations and so forth) are astonishingly 80s - even when the real-life merchandise and retail spaces are present-day.

Edited by strickn

The video shows a lot of the detail. Looks good.

However, some of those units are staring right into the parking garage.

When I was i Westchase last weekend, it felt like I was in Asia. Didn't feel like Houston at all.

When I was i Westchase last weekend, it felt like I was in Asia. Didn't feel like Houston at all.

What do you mean? Where in Westchase were you?

We drove down Bellaire. The areas in Chinatown didn't feel like Houston. I guess since I haven't been in that area in so long.

We drove down Bellaire. The areas in Chinatown didn't feel like Houston. I guess since I haven't been in that area in so long.

I don't think that Bellaire is considered Westchase. However, I kow what you mean. I've lived at Beltway @ W. Airport (Basically Beltway @ 59S) and it's amazing at how diverse the area has become.

Bellaire is Westchase. Just a small part of it.

Edited by Trae

Bellaire is Westchase. Just a small part of it.

None of the Chinese or Vietnamese businesses are in Westchase. The Westchase Development District extended it's southern border to include Halliburton, which only covers one block west of the Beltway, along Bellaire. Here's a link to the Westchase District's website showing the land use. The City of Houston recognizes an even smaller land area as Westchase.

Edited by Jeebus

We were just outside of Westchase. I just say Westchase to define the general area.

Thanks for the article. I was wondering what was going on seeing that they've done NOTHING since putting the first crane up 5 months ago. I drive by the site a couple of times a week and there's been zero activity.

I drive by this site every day as well, and I still don't see any progress. Their sign facing the freeway is now faded and mostly illegible. That crane has been there since August and I wonder every day how much that's costing someone to leave it there without activity.

I wonder if they're held up because the probect is located so close to Art Storey Park, which is undergoing serious upgrades/construction as its associated with the Sims/Brays/etc restoration projects?

I wonder if they're held up because the probect is located so close to Art Storey Park, which is undergoing serious upgrades/construction as its associated with the Sims/Brays/etc restoration projects?

Drove by Wednesday and there is still no movement with the construction site.

The crane has been up at this site for at least 8 months now with no progress. I can see this thing from my building and it hasn't moved a bit. This has got to be one of the worst examples of construction scheduling I've ever seen. I wonder how much it costs to rent a crane like that for 8 months.

Ok folks, there is movement at the site. I drove by earlier, and there were two huge tractor trailor cranes right beside the main crane.

Ok folks, there is movement at the site. I drove by earlier, and there were two huge tractor trailor cranes right beside the main crane.

I know that main crane had to be lonely. It had been sitting there by itself for months. I'm still wondering if the slowdown at the site had anything to do with the renovations to Art Storey Park? Maybe a water main that runs through that site is connected to the big pond that's being redone as part of the overall renovation (and I believe the renovation is part of Project Brays as well).

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

I know that main crane had to be lonely. It had been sitting there by itself for months. I'm still wondering if the slowdown at the site had anything to do with the renovations to Art Storey Park? Maybe a water main that runs through that site is connected to the big pond that's being redone as part of the overall renovation (and I believe the renovation is part of Project Brays as well).

That's a good point. They seem to have finished the park a few weeks ago, so it makes sense.

I drove by about three hours ago. The new crane on-site is disassembling the tower crane that's been sitting idle for months.

I drove by about three hours ago. The new crane on-site is disassembling the tower crane that's been sitting idle for months.

Tower Cannibalism?

Tower Cannibalism?

The new one is not a tower crane. I don't know if this project is cancelled but the fact that the tower crane is going away is not a good sign.

So how is it a development firm/construction company could make it through all the phases of preconstruction planning, start clearing the site, and throw up a crane only to have the project dissolve?