Park 8 (Not Park 8ight, or the warehouse complex at beltway 8 & I-45)

Boris

It kind of looks like a downscale version of Uptown Park...which has some of the highest rental rates around without a garage.

But it does not make it right, they should learn from Highland Village!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But it does not make it right, they should learn from Highland Village!

The site isn't along Westheimer or inside the Loop. It isn't down the street from the Galleria. Its trade area doesn't include River Oaks, Afton Oaks, West U, Montrose, etc.

What's "right" is defined by three factors: investors, prospective tenants, and competitors.

Parking garages are pretty normal in Westchase and along Eldridge. There isn't a lot of room for big lots in west Houston.

Look at the master plan. This isn't a big lot.

let me start by saying retail is not my specialty, so im sorta talking out of my rear.

the village can get away with it because of their boutiqe-like setting. also, i think it's only $1.

parking garage construction prices have blown through the roof since then. today, i bet it would cost $5 - $10 :o no one in houston is going to pay that much, unless it comes with a valet stand.

in regards to passing it off to the tenant, again, i dont see how economically feasibile it would be. however, this would be better answered by someone other than me :P

There are three big office/ condo / hotel buildings in this development. I would assume the parking goes along witht those development. The ground parking is for retail. This seems like an uptown type development to me just out on the Beltway. There is no way these buildings can survive without garage parking. It is just the cost of doing business for these developers.

There are three big office/ condo / hotel buildings in this development. I would assume the parking goes along witht those development. The ground parking is for retail. This seems like an uptown type development to me just out on the Beltway. There is no way these buildings can survive without garage parking. It is just the cost of doing business for these developers.

Yeah, if you look at their website, it looks like each tower gets its own parking garage. The surface stuff is just for retail.

Each tower has its own garage, plus some surface parking for retail.

Well I am glad we all agree. Lets move on. :P

Any ideas what the towers (for a lack of a better word) will be. Three office buildings? I would think so, but there is not a pent up demand for that much office space to come online at once. Maybe the project is phased and the plan is to build a building at a time.

• 1 month later...

The condos will be zoned to schools in the Alief Independent School District:

(I figured this out through the map of Park8 and the location of the HEB)

Zoned schools include:

* Chambers Elementary School (K-4) - http://www.alief.isd.tenet.edu/chambers/Ch.../chambintro.htm

* Owens Intermediate School (5-6) - http://www.alief.isd.tenet.edu/owens/owens/owensintro.htm

* Killough Middle School (7-8) - http://www.alief.isd.tenet.edu/killough/Ki...lloughintro.htm

High schools are randomly assigned to Alief ISD students, regardless of location.

Students may be assigned to:

* Elsik High School ( http://www.alief.isd.tenet.edu/elsik/Elsik.../elsikintro.htm ) and Elsik Ninth Grade Center ( http://www.alief.isd.tenet.edu/elsik-ngc/E...ikhngcintro.htm )

* Hastings High School ( http://www.alief.isd.tenet.edu/hastings/ha...s/hastintro.htm ) and Hastings Ninth Grade Center ( http://www.alief.isd.tenet.edu/hastings-ng...C/hngcintro.htm )

* Taylor High School - http://www.alief.isd.tenet.edu/taylor/Intr...taylorintro.htm

If a student has an older sibling assigned to another high school, the student may request a transfer to the sibling's campus.

Well I am glad we all agree. Lets move on. :P

Any ideas what the towers (for a lack of a better word) will be. Three office buildings? I would think so, but there is not a pent up demand for that much office space to come online at once. Maybe the project is phased and the plan is to build a building at a time.

I think when you consider that 2nd floor space above retail centers in that area is being marketed at $210/SF, and look at the high retail rental rates in this area over the years it has always seemed like a very underestimated area with a lot of potential to me.

• 7 months later...

Anyone have an update on this project? I still see the sign up on the site and it looks like there is some digging off to the side. The park looks near complete. With these towers along with the Bank tower on the other side of Bellaire and the Granite Towers under construction on Richmond, the Westhcase/Chinatown skyline is developing nicely!

This corridor from Westchase to Chinatown was predicted to become the "next Galleria" back in the early 90s, and it had gotten of to a good start until the tech bust at the turn of the century. Now things are shifting back to positive for the area. The real longterm test of how the area evolves is in its housing. A couple of new residential developments are underway and nearing completion (this includes the new development in the West Eight section), so we'll see.

OTOH, crime is still higher than what it was two years ago in the area, so that make it less marketable to some of the higher end firms that might be looking to move into the area.

This corridor from Westchase to Chinatown was predicted to become the "next Galleria" back in the early 90s, and it had gotten of to a good start until the tech bust at the turn of the century. Now things are shifting back to positive for the area. The real longterm test of how the area evolves is in its housing. A couple of new residential developments are underway and nearing completion (this includes the new development in the West Eight section), so we'll see.

OTOH, crime is still higher than what it was two years ago in the area, so that make it less marketable to some of the higher end firms that might be looking to move into the area.

Can someone mapquest this location for us? Or at least say the biggest freeway intersections it's closest to?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The project is on track and is going to be completed Spring 2008. Below are the specs for the project.

Park 8 will consist of three beautiful 23 floor high-rise condominiums with commercial retail center and recreational facilities. Using the high-rise condominium concept, 1.2 million square feet are created over 17 acres of land, with 250,000 square feet allocated for commercial retail usage. Near downtown Houston, the building complex includes an adjoining parking lot and features swimming pools, fitness rooms, and game rooms, while also allowing pedestrian access to shops along the street.

The project is on track and is going to be completed Spring 2008. Below are the specs for the project.

Park 8 will consist of three beautiful 23 floor high-rise condominiums with commercial retail center and recreational facilities. Using the high-rise condominium concept, 1.2 million square feet are created over 17 acres of land, with 250,000 square feet allocated for commercial retail usage. Near downtown Houston, the building complex includes an adjoining parking lot and features swimming pools, fitness rooms, and game rooms, while also allowing pedestrian access to shops along the street.

Near Downtown Houston? April Fools, right?

Has construction started already? The completion date is only a year away!

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add a note about the two chinatowns, when I moved to Houston last summer, my supervisor at work was Chinese. When I asked her how to get to Chinatown, she told me to go to Bellaire. I asked her "isn't there a chinatown downtown" and she said no. But I read online that there was a chinatown downtown, so I decided to find out for myself. I took the metro downtown, walked to the GRB convention center and crossed the 59. All I saw were abandoned buildings, warehouses, the odd random townhouse (which looked out of place in such a desolate environment). I finally found ONE chinese grocery store and bought some tea. I asked the owner if there were any restaurants nearby. She said ther was one but it wasn't very good, and that I should go to Bellaire for good chinese food. I decided to check out the restaurant that she mentioned and it was boarded up. She didn't even know it was closed. And that was about all there was to "downtown chinatown".

Three months later when I bought a car, I drove out to Bellaire and it was MUCH more active, and the chinatown area in Bellaire was actually huge, although much more suburban than the chinatowns I've been to in NYC, Montreal, and Toronto.! So it doesn't surprise me that the development is there as opposed to the downtown chinatown.

That being said, I really wish there was a chinatown downtown that wasn't all strip malls and shopping centers like in Bellaire. Oh well...

• 1 month later...

There seems to be a lot of activity going on here over the past two weeks. A number of large pieces of equipment appears to be there and lots of dirt moving. Anyone know if this is finally under construction, or is this flood control work once again?

• 2 weeks later...
Looked like they were taking soil samples yesterday when I drove by. I think this thing is actually starting.

Yes, construction is beginning. Below is the project detail information.

Near downtown Houston, the building complex includes an adjoining parking lot and features swimming pools, fitness rooms, and game rooms, while also allowing pedestrian access to shops along the street.

Near downtown Houston?

Archived