Shepherd Janisch: Retail Center At 4831 North Shepherd Dr.

Highrise Tower

Thanks for posting! This is near me. Right across the road is going to be the Ibiza Garden Oaks large apartment. I would assume it'll be multifamily, but I haven't seen a plat map change. 

The other half (south) of the block was plat changed to VB Plaza Estates. 

I couldn't make heads or tails of the info from HCAD. 

• Like 2

On 10/29/2022 at 7:10 AM, Highrise Tower said:

There's a few demolition permits out.

4831 N Shepherd Dr in Independence Heights.

7pdqfdt.jpg

Dex0Iov.jpg

Tropical Motel on the property of 4831 North Shepherd Drive.

Google Maps, May 2022; corner of N Shepherd Dr and Janisch Rd.

0yaSKNk.jpg

Janisch Road; Google Maps, April 2022

VJCkZLS.jpg

N Shepherd Dr; Google Maps, May 2022

YZrjJ91.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

18 hours ago, goofy said:

Well well well... 

Checked plattracker and it's now pending application as the "Shoppes at Shepherd" 

Good catch!

A plat for the site of the former Tropical Motel at 4831 North Shepherd Dr was submitted to the city October 31. The subdivision name is Shoppes at Shepherd. This may be an indicator the Independence Heights property will be converted into retail. I think the landowners have a few retail centers / strip centers in the Houston area.

Maybe the plat will be uploaded for public viewing soon.

Below are screenshots of the property shown on the plat tracker map. 4831 N Shepherd Dr is located on the corner of Janisch Rd.

4yGFq4N.jpg

oU3QV5m.jpg

On 10/31/2022 at 9:27 AM, goofy said:

The other half (south) of the block was plat changed to VB Plaza Estates. 

4817 N Shepherd Dr, which property owners submitted a plat earlier this year for VB Plaza Estates, is not owned by the same person/group as 4831 N Shepherd. Those are two different properties.

• Like 1

yes, I know those are different owners. It's looking like it may be townhomes then a strip center. There's another strip center going in around this area too. 

This entire area is getting saturated with townhomes and apartments so I imagine there'll be more retail soon. 

GOOF is about to be surrounded by nicer development on all sides, which will be nice, but we're just suburbanizing the poverty V hard. The volume of apartments that are planned for independence heights is wild. 

Is this really independence heights? I thought it became more acers homes-y around here? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

Independence Heights goes up to Tidwell, but does not cross to the west side of shepherd. It’s a no man’s land between brinkman and shepherd. 

I was wandering! I'm surprised they don't call this area shepherd park or something because that's the actual closest nice neighborhood. 

This strip of shepherd is so rough and ugly! Seems like they're trying to slow down the traffic, but the nice development dies off REALLY quickly after 43rd. It'll be interesting to see if they can fill this new strip center and fill up the recently rehabbed retail on pinemont. There's two good places to eat in this stretch and one big apartment going in. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

The city needs to add stop lights and pedestrian crossings. People drive 50-60mph even though the limit is 35, and so many folks from the surrounding apartments play frogger across shepherd. 

The second you go above 43/crosstimbers it becomes a total nightmare. There's been a few parcels redeveloped (frost bank la fitness, astral, new apartment) but a lot of it still looks rundown. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once again I ask why this is in the Heights section, it's outside the greater Heights area and north of 610 North Loop? Just because something has a Shepherd St. address doesn't mean in it's in the Heights or Montrose.

It was deferred at the Planning Commission till the next meeting. Several people that live on Janisch Rd didn't like that one of the entrance to the project was on Janisch Rd.

hmKkmVQ.png

rxmYmYS.jpg

KZchUVc.jpg

A6jKdN8.jpg

Xim26rN.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hindesky said:

Once again I ask why this is in the Heights section, it's outside the greater Heights area and north of 610 North Loop? Just because something has a Shepherd St. address doesn't mean in it's in the Heights or Montrose.

7 hours ago, hindesky said:

Two maps of what is considered the greater Heights area, neither include anything past the north loop 610 where this project is located.

FTUR10u.jpg

Tk5TrVi.png

One could also ask why @Highrise Tower tags every topic in this forum as The Heights (as he has done with this topic) when it's either part of the Washington Corridor, Rice Military, Lazybrook/Timbergrove, Oak Forest, Garden Oaks, or Independence Heights areas. 

From what I recall, some topics for Washington Corridor, Garden Oaks, Oak Forest, and Independence Heights were posted in the forum titled Other Neighborhoods. Those topics were moved by moderators to this forum, the Heights.

There was a campaign several years ago for the creation of a forum for Washington Corridor / Rice Military and one for the Garden Oaks / Oak Forest / Independence Heights area. For whatever reason, those forums never came to be. Instead, posts for those neighborhoods are considered by moderators as the Heights or the Greater Heights area when they aren't. On the first page of this forum, half of the topics are not about properties or developments in the Greater Heights. They're either for the Washington Corridor, Garden Oaks, Oak Forest, or Lazybrook / Timbergrove.

On a side note, there is a need for a Brasewood / Meyerland area forum, and one for southwest Houston (like places near South Post Oak and the Hiram Clarke areas).

Good luck, though in getting this topic moved out of the Heights forum or any topic that's in the wrong forum. Highrise Tower creates a lot of posts that aren't posted to the correct forums. And when you point it out to him nicely, even privately, he ignores it. I reported a few directly to him, he ignored them.  It's as if he doesn't want to be wrong or feels since he's a mod, he can do or post whatever he wants, wherever he wants. But let a non-mod create a topic, and he's quick to:

• edit others' topic titles by adding unnecessary periods to the addresses
  • unnecessarily editing topics created by others by adding the word "at" to the title, and worse, capitalizing it (At)
  • if it's a single tenancy building, adding the business to the title when it's likely it will close in the year
  • add tags (often wrong or outdated tags)
  • merge with an unrelated topic

I saw several that were in the Medical Center forum when they're clearly part of the Third Ward area (the properties were in the MacGregor and Riverside Terrace area, and even long-time residents consider those neighborhoods as part of the Third Ward). All were created by Highrise Tower. I reported those to him, six months later, they're still there. 

There were also some posts for the Meyerland area that Highrise started or moved to the forum for places along the Katy Freeway (Meyerland is nowhere near I-10). I reported one of the Meyerland posts Highrise Tower created directly to him. It was ignored. Several weeks later, I reported it to another mod, noting my previous request to Highrise, and a mod moved it. A few days later, Highrise Tower moved it back. So, I messaged Urbannizer, letting him know I went through all the steps, how HT ignored and later moved the topic back to the wrong forum, and showed proof the property is no where near the Katy Freeway. Urb moved it out of the wrong forum.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, goofy said:

Next they just need to slow down traffic on shepherd. I imagine all of acres homes/north independence heights  will be redeveloped soon. 

One person on the planning commission brought that topic up. He said the reason for having buildings at the front is partially to get people to slow down while they admire the building vs. looking at a parking lot.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 2:14 PM, hindesky said:

One person on the planning commission brought that topic up. He said the reason for having buildings at the front is partially to get people to slow down while they admire the building vs. looking at a parking lot.

i mean, it has drastically improved the vibes along inner-loop shepherd. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 5:09 PM, hindesky said:

It was deferred at the Planning Commission till the next meeting. Several people that live on Janisch Rd didn't like that one of the entrance to the project was on Janisch Rd.

hmKkmVQ.png

rxmYmYS.jpg

KZchUVc.jpg

A6jKdN8.jpg

Xim26rN.jpg

Below is the developers' intent for Shoppes at Shepherd (4831 N Shepherd Dr), including the reasoning for the variance request. This is from the materials submitted to the planning commission:

The subject site is 1.973 acres located at the southwest corner of North Shepherd Drive and Janisch Road in the Central Northwest Super Neighborhood.

The developer is proposing to redevelop the property into a retail center featuring 34,000 of leasable square feet in a two-story building. The applicant is requesting a variance to allow a 5-foot building setback in lieu of the code-required 25-foot front building setback along North Shepherd.

North Shepherd Drive is a unique roadway given that recent and upcoming planning projects have opened the door for a better built environment. Most of the older projects in the area feature traditional vehicle-centric footprints with a 25-foot front building setback, minimal sidewalks, no pedestrian engagement along the roadway, and no enhanced walkable or bicycle connectivity to recreational facilities.

Because of the site's proximity to the Little White Oak Bayou Trail System via Victoria Gardens Park and the on-street bicycle facilities along Crosstimbers and W Tidwell, the property owners along North Shepherd can now realistically seek a development form that closely matches the City's Walkable Places and Transit Oriented Development initiatives.

The proposed project will move the building up against North Shepherd to create retail frontage that is walkable, interactive, and attractive. Outdoor patio spaces, covered walkways, and bicycle racks highlight a new type of development for this area that will hopefully set the standard for years to come. The developer is providing all the code-required off-street parking and drive aisles behind the building, similar to the retail commercial center performance standards in Section 42-154 that allow reduced building setbacks along major thoroughfares with a right-of-way of 80 feet or less.

While North Shepherd is a 100-foot right-of-way, the developer's intent is the same — shifting the pedestrian friendly elements to the street frontage and moving the off-street parking field behind the building. To get the code-required parking and provide the best outdoor experience and accessibility for its customers, the developer is proposing a 6.5-foot building setback along North Shepherd which results in a 15-foot pedestrian realm. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Shepherd Janisch: 4831 North Shepherd Dr.
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Plans for 4831 N Shepherd Dr have not been approved for permitting yet.

Below is a screenshot of the plan review inspection report. The screenshot shows the progress made so far during the plan review.

The 4831 North Shepherd Dr property is being redeveloped into a retail center.  Shoppes at Shepherd may be the name of the shopping center.  I think this is in the Northside neighborhood. It also is near the border of the Independence Heights area.

OEM5ECZ.jpg

On 5/4/2023 at 11:05 AM, hindesky said:

JUm865w.pngypX5kZi.png

Below are additional details pertaining to plans for 4831 N Shepherd Dr. This is based off design materials / utility plans submitted for review.

4831 North Shepherd Dr is being redeveloped into a retail center.  The name of the shopping center may be Shoppes at Shepherd, Shops at Shepherd, or Shops @ Shepherd.  

I'm not sure what neighborhood this is located. It may be Shepherd Pines or the Northside neighborhood. The property borders the Independence Heights area.

• Proposed: 30,064 sf shell for future retail w/ sitework

• Shops @ Shepherd 
      4831 N Shepherd Dr
      Houston, TX 77018

• Sheet G000 [Cover Sheet]

• Two-story shell building for future tenant build out
    • (M) Mercantile
    • 1st Floor: 17,032 sf
    • 2nd Floor: 17,032 sf
    • Total Building Area: 34,064 sf
    • New construction of 13,325 sf shell retail building

From the submitted wastewater capacity reservation letter:

• Construction of 25,629 sf retail space, 8,543 sf full service restaurant w/4,000 sf dining area, 1,000 sf patio dining and a bar w/80 occupants

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Shepherd Janisch: Retail Center At 4831 North Shepherd Dr.
  • 2 weeks later...

Plans for 4831 N Shepherd Dr still are not approved for permitting.

Below is a screenshot of the plan review inspection report. The screenshot shows the progress made so far during the plan review.

4831 North Shepherd Dr is being redeveloped into a retail center.  The name of the shopping center may be Shoppes at Shepherd, Shops at Shepherd, or Shops @ Shepherd.  

I'm not sure which neighborhood this is located, but it's not in the Greater Heights area as noted by @hindesky (so, I'm not sure why this has not been moved out of the Heights forum).  This may be in Shepherd Pines or the Northside neighborhood. I'm not sure, but the property borders the Independence Heights area.

ddq9g7I.jpg

14 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Plans for 4831 N Shepherd Dr still are not approved for permitting.

4831 North Shepherd Dr is being redeveloped into a retail center.  The name of the shopping center may be Shoppes at Shepherd, Shops at Shepherd, or Shops @ Shepherd.  

I'm not sure which neighborhood this is located, but it's not in the Greater Heights area as noted by @hindesky (so, I'm not sure why this has not been moved out of the Heights forum).  This may be in Shepherd Pines or the Northside neighborhood. I'm not sure, but the property borders the Independence Heights area.

ddq9g7I.jpg

Below are recent notes from planning and development services during the plan review phase. This is for the proposed retail center at 4831 North Shepherd Dr. The name of the shopping center may be Shoppes at Shepherd, Shops at Shepherd, or Shops @ Shepherd.  

The following  are some of the corrections needed for permit approval:

• The proposed ADA ramp configuration at the intersection is not to standard. The sidewalks from each street must connect at the landing area of the ADA ramp. The ADA ramp must align with the existing crosswalk markings.

NOTE: ADA compliant Wheel chair ramps with truncated domes must be provided at all street intersections. Provide ADA ramp showing all the conflicts with traffic signs, fire hydrant, power pole and light pole, with sidewalk and ramps sloped as per ADA, TAS requirements.

• The most recent proposed replat shows a 25-foot building line along Shepherd with a note that Planning Commission denied a variance for the 6.5-foot building line. Please advise and/or update the plans as needed.

• The site plan shows power poles and other obstacles in the path of the proposed sidewalk. Please update the plans to show the sidewalks avoiding these obstacles. Or, if there is not space between the property line and the street, or if existing conditions (ditches, trees, power poles etc.) make providing a full-width sidewalk and safety buffer infeasible, an approved sidewalk modification request may be needed for Planning approval.

•  Sheet C1.1 shows a utility easement going through the proposed building. Please provide documentation that this easement has been released or that consent to encroach has been granted.

• Please update the parking analysis to clarify that two bicycle spaces are required (in addition to the ones provided for a parking reduction).
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...