Dean Goss Dinner Theatre At 2525 Murworth Dr.

Highrise Tower

I was browsing the newspaper The Jewish Herald-Voice dated August 23, 1973 and came a business ad for Dean Goss' Dinner Theatre located at 2525 Murworth Dr.

Cool artwork.

Did anyone ever go here? It's not that long ago so maybe someone on HAIF knows about this place.  Any pictures to share?

Wonderfully, Impossibly, Funny "The Impossible Years" directed by Marietta Marich.

2525 Murworth - Near domed stadium.

GFDNvHy.png

Never went.  Dean Goss was a name I was familiar with, though.  Seems I remember he had other entertainment ventures?  I believe I remember an article or interview on TV where he was talking about submitting proposals for TV game shows to the networks or something.

Then there is this, which I found online, by an Austin TV station and I don't remember ever hearing anything about this.

Dean Goss @ IMDb.  Check out the Publicity link on IMDb for mention of an article by John Nova Lomax in the Press a decade ago.  (I haven't checked).

Marietta Marich was I believe a well-known name in local acting circles.  She had a show on Channel 2, late nights, or late weekends - ???.  Her husband, Bruce, as I recall, was a long time employee/director on Channel 2.

Edited by brucesw
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, brucesw said:

Dean Goss @ IMDb.  Check out the Publicity link on IMDb for mention of an article by John Nova Lomax in the Press a decade ago.  (I haven't checked).

That's the article I was thinking of when I saw Dean Goss' name pop up here. If memory serves, it goes into quite a bit more detail about the events mentioned in the KVUE article you linked to.

Unfortunately, the Press has taken down almost all of its back-issue content that used to be readily available on its website. About the only way to find anything there now is to Google it, but I came up empty when trying to find this piece that way. The Wayback Machine at archive.org probably has it archived somewhere, but although the snapshot they took on October 24, 2012 does have an entry in the Houston Babylon series, it doesn't contain anything about Dean Goss.  

• Like 2

For Brucesw -

Marietta Marich's husband was Bob Marich, high up behind the cameras at KPRC TV for many years. Together, he and Marietta were very active in local non-professional theater for many years. They always had the best and most talented local actors and singers, which is why their shows were always worth seeing.

Marietta was born in Dallas in 1930 and died in 2017, Here's what her obit said about her.

Marietta Marich was a true Renaissance woman. In addition to the phenomenal acting, singing, and directing for which she is most well-known, she was an accomplished painter, playwright, songwriter, and set designer, being the only female student in her drafting class at SMU. Marietta’s professional career spanned over 60 years.

Marietta and Bob met at KPRC TV (which they helped launch in 1950) and married in Houston. While Bob produced and directed at the station, Marietta sang and toured with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra. After success in Los Angeles, the pair moved back to Houston, where they became theatre and television mainstays. Her KPRC TV show “Midnight with Marietta” featured Marietta singing with the incomparable talents of Paul Schmitt and his band. Marietta also interviewed a sophisticated array of guests each night. An avid reader, she could discuss almost any subject with intelligence and vivacious wit.

Marietta created the legendary Houston Theatre Center on Main Street in midtown, and with husband Bob produced and performed in many of the productions. They also owned and operated several other live theatres, including a Dinner Theater at the Royal Coach Inn on the SW Fwy. Marietta constantly mentored young artists, giving many their first break. Some careers she helped launch are those of Tommy Tune, Dennis Quaid, JoBeth Williams, Patrick Swayze, Tracy Shayne, Robert Wuhl, K.T. Oslin, Gina Hecht, Cindy Pickett, Brett Cullen, and Sally Mayes.

Marietta’s last stage performance was in early 2017, when she appeared with her daughter, Allison, in “Outside Mullingar” at the Queensbury Theatre. Film audiences know her work with Clint Eastwood, Steve Martin, Naomi Watts, Kevin Costner, Bill Murray, Mary Steenburgen, Josh Brolin, Jennifer Aniston, Sally Field, and many others.

The entire Marich family are actors, a Houston Royal Family of the Theatre. Marietta was deeply beloved by her family, who admired her razor-sharp humor, keen intelligence, blunt honesty, strength, and tenacity. She often said, “Never show a fool your unfinished work,” and, “I may not always be right – but I’m never wrong!” Marietta was predeceased by her husband of almost 60 years, Bob, and son Michael. She is survived by daughter Allison, grandchildren Skyler and Spencer, and many relatives.

She died in 2017.  Husband Bob died in 2012. 

• Like 3