Lee And Joe Jamail Skatepark At 103 Sabine St.

Subdude

Not sure exactly what neighborhood that is.

Push under way to build a skate park on Memorial

City sets aside 'alternative' sport site; funds sought for construction

By TOM MANNING

Chronicle Correspondent

RESOURCES

PUBLIC MEETING

Public Use Skateparks for Houston will meet at 7 tonight at the Fonde Recreational Center, 110 Sabine. It is open to the public.

For more information of PUSH, visit the Web site at www.pushhouston.com.

As Houstonians come to grips with the fact that their hometown has once again been labeled the "fattest city in America," a grass-roots group is hoping to use that designation to create awareness for the need to promote non-traditional sports in the city, specifically, a skate park.

Public Use Skateparks for Houston, or PUSH, was created late last year to bring a state-of-the-art skateboarding facility to the city.

So far, the group has found a willing partner in the city's Parks and Recreation Department, which has allocated about 40,000 square feet of land at the intersection of Memorial Drive and Sabine Street for what could soon become the Central Houston Skate Park.

Full Chronicle article here,

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just west of downtown proper. Think about the Sabine Lofts, then look a bit to the north.

Although, looking at a Key Map, 110 Sabine looks like it would be closer to Allen Parkway than Memorial.

EDIT: I see I didn't read the article correctly. THe meeting is being held at 110 Sabine but the park is being proposed for land near the intersection of Memorial & Sabine.

Although a skate park is needed, I do hope that they do not take greenspace and use it for the skate park. The skate park is going to nothing but concrete and there are far better areas than the this area to put a skate park IMO. Aren't they trying to connect the green space along the Bayou. This would be another big concrete block in the way.

in order to preserve greenspace they should go with a skate plaza vs. traditional skatepark. other cities go this way for a nice recreation/park area, complete with fountains and benches. it works well for mixed use in urban areas but i'm not sure how pedestrian friendly the location is. before this site crashed my son posted a drawing of one he visited in utah and it was well received. i'll check and if he still has a copy i'll put it back up.

debmartin

i found it \/

skateplaza4.jpg

• 2 months later...

Nah..this is for skateboarders, and stuff. They have a bunch of ramps where they can do flips and stuff, as well as a bunch of other whatever tricks skaters do.

• 1 month later...

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/kho....2cccdb431.html

Houston could soon be home to one of nation's largest skate parks

08:02 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 31, 2005

By Matt Musil / 11 Sports

We all know skateboarders and pedestrians don't mix, so there is an effort to get the skateboarders a place to call their own.

"We have one of the wealthiest cities in America, but for skateboarders, there's nothing," said Barry Blumenthal, Public Use Skateparks for Houston.

The proposed skate park will be centrally located, just west of downtown Houston in Buffalo Bayou Park.

The city has donated 38,000 square feet of land, which would make it one of the largest skate parks in the U.S.

"It would take our ability to work with these kids to a whole other level," said Charles Rotramel, Youth Advocates, Inc.

Supporters of the new park hope to be able to break ground next year.

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.

We all know skateboarders and pedestrians don't mix, so there is an effort to get the skateboarders a place to call their own.

"We have one of the wealthiest cities in America, but for skateboarders, there's nothing," said Barry Blumenthal, Public Use Skateparks for Houston.

The proposed skate park will be centrally located, just west of downtown Houston in Buffalo Bayou Park.

The city has donated 38,000 square feet of land, which would make it one of the largest skate parks in the U.S.

"It would take our ability to work with these kids to a whole other level," said Charles Rotramel, Youth Advocates, Inc.

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.

GREAT story, Texasboy!! Bring on the Skate Park. I welcome it with opened arms!!

:lol::lol::lol: Bring on the X Games!!! :P

• 7 months later...

Thought there might be some interest in the progress of Downtown Public Skatepark Project on this site. The detailed design is close to complete and the following renderings show much of the anticipated layout for the park. Here's a link to the design/build company which put the design together - http://grindline.com/cgi-bin/view.pl?view=houston .

It's great to be close to completion for this phase of the project but construction is still ahead and is not an easy task without the support of the Houston community. With over 2000 public skatepark already built (many in major metropolitan areas), Houston has a lot of catching up to do. Please relay this information to your friends and colleagues and explain to them that this skatepark will provide a sense of place along the Buffalo Bayou walk/bike trails. Having more destinations along these trails is the type of catalyst needed to get more people to use them. More information about this project is available at http://www.hpbinc.org and http://www.pushhouston.com .

While your checking out the Grindline site, you may want to look at the photos of the Austin skatpark which was completed this summer - http://grindline.com/cgi-bin/view.pl?view=austin .

view001.jpg

view002.jpg

view003.jpg

view004.jpg

HOOOOOOOO BOY ! Can't wait for all the beautiful Graffiti to go on all that pristine concrete. I'm guessing there will be signs up all over stating that it is "YOUR FAULT" if you fall and break your @$$, not the city's responsiblity. <_<

Would you rather have us at Tranquility.

Would you rather have us at Tranquility.

Aren't you there already? Like y'all care where you can or cannot skate. I don't think it will be the 20 something inline skaters, it will be the shaved head, mohawk posers that think one ollie constitutes them as being able to "rip it up" on the streets,they will be the ones laying down the bad and mispelled Grafitti. I used to skate back in the 80's, I know how they might feel, but your views change when you have your own kids. Just wait until a couple of kids get their baggie pants caught on the rail and crack their skulls and see how loud the parents will yell, "WHO"S CRAPPY IDEA WAS THIS PLACE FOR OUR CHILDREN TO HURT THEMSELVES !" "WHO IS MONITORING OUR KIDS AT THIS PLACE !" When it should be them watching their little skate pukes trying to be Tony Hawk. B)