Harwin Shopping Arena

EXCLUSIVE REPORTS

From the October 15, 2004 print edition

Upscale retail centers charge into Harwin shopping arena

Allison Wollam

Houston Business Journal

The long stretch of clustered strip malls along Harwin Drive is going uptown with the addition of some new high-end retail developments.

The street known for its knock-off designer purses, jewelry and clothing is experiencing a flurry of activity as developers look to improve the image of the "bargain mile."

Central Harwin Group Ltd. is leading the wave with plans to open the $10 million, 100,000-square-foot Harwin Central Mart by Nov. 1.

And Charming Charlie's, a retailer of fine jewelry and accessories, will unveil the 80,000-square-foot Haute Harwin Fashion Center just in time for the Christmas shopping season.

Both developments will cater to more discriminating shoppers, offering high-end goods at bargain prices.

Haute Harwin will be anchored by Charming Charlie's, which owns the center at 6959 Harwin. Houston-based Charming Charlie's will occupy about 12,500 square feet of the development.

Charlie Chanaratsopon, executive vice president of Charming Charlie's, says the company will lease the remaining space to 11 retailers and three restaurants.

Murphy's Deli has already signed on to open on the site, as well as a fashion clothing and bridal store.

"We're hoping to give Harwin Street a face-lift with bringing a Highland Village-type shopping center to this area," says Chanaratsopon.

The retailers in Haute Harwin will offer the discount prices that have long-defined the area, but will also offer a higher standard of customer service and a more pleasant shopping experience, according to Chanaratsopon.

Charming Charlie's plans to open five other locations across the city but chose Harwin as the first location because of the popularity of the area with discount shoppers.

"People drive here from far away to get good deals, and we're going to give them the good deals they expect plus an upscale shopping environment," Chanaratsopon says.

Although the swanky center is designed to cater to more upscale shoppers, Chanaratsopon says rental rates will be about $1.50 per square foot per month, which he says is competitive with other retail centers built in the area over the last two years.

The average rental rate for the area, according to O'Connor & Associates, is about 89 cents per square foot per month.

Meanwhile, Andrew Chung, CEO of Central Harwin Group, says Harwin Central Mart is approximately 50 percent leased and will include about 50 retailers when completely full.

Chung says he expects occupancy to be split evenly between retailers and wholesalers, some of which have leased space to display their products in a showroom. Included in the retail offerings will be perfume, jewelry, clothing, wedding dresses and upscale restaurants.

Harwin Central Mart will address safety and parking issues along the strip by offering 400 parking spaces, a 24-hour security guard and high-tech surveillance cameras.

The center will also offer tenants high-speed Internet access for their business needs, says Chung.

Retail broker Jason Baker, a principal with Wulfe & Co., says the Harwin area is ripe for more retail competitors.

"There has been so little new development along Harwin recently that these new centers do add an upscale touch to the area," he says.

• Like 1

EXCLUSIVE REPORTS

From the October 22, 2004 print edition

Harwin retailers pushing for formation of business district

Allison Wollam

Houston Business Journal

A number of the retailers and property owners along Harwin Drive are banding together to petition the city and state government to send more funding their way to attract new businesses and promote the area.

Kenneth Li, a property owner in the Harwin area and owner of Century 21 Southwest, says there is currently a push to form an official international business district in the area.

Li says Harwin would be the hub for the district because of the international flavor of the businesses that line the street. A group of retailers and property owners have already drafted a layout of the district lines and outlined the advantages that forming an official district would have on retailers, according to Li.

"We're hoping that the city will grant tax incentives to businesses in the area as well as supply money to market and improve this dynamic area," he says.

Houston City Councilmember Gordon Quan says the city is in the midst of organizing a town hall meeting to encourage communication between landowners and retailers in the area.

He says the issue didn't have enough support during the last legislative session. But the idea for forming an international business district has since been reconfigured, and the city is moving forward to get the issue passed.

Quan, who points out that Mayor Bill White supports the plan, says it will be reintroduced during the next legislative session.

"We have a list of the top 20 to 30 property owners whom we're getting together to talk about this issue and move forward on it as soon as we can," says Quan.

awollam@bizjournals.com

Don't get me wrong, I think the Harwin district is a fun, vibrant place to visit and shop, but part of me finds this article amusing, you know, the part of me that has shopped on Harwin from time-to-time to buy items like genuine Coach purses for $30.

I wonder if all the tenants along Harwin really want the extra scrutiny that the distinction as an "international business district" would bring.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Harwin district is a fun, vibrant place to visit and shop, but part of me finds this article amusing, you know, the part of me that has shopped on Harwin from time-to-time to buy items like genuine Coach purses for $30.

I wonder if all the tenants along Harwin really want the extra scrutiny that the distinction as an "international business district" would bring.

You have a point. It might make the guys buying purses uncomfortable. ;)

• 4 years later...

I have some questions about this area and the Asia Town near by. I have family that wanted to know the best place to go shopping for purses and jewelry? Also they want to know where in Asia Town, or anywhere in Houston to get Asian or Chinese style decorations for your home. Basically stores that you would find in San Fransisco's China Town. Thanks!

They had no real idea that this area existed in Houston.

I have some questions about this area and the Asia Town near by. I have family that wanted to know the best place to go shopping for purses and jewelry? Also they want to know where in Asia Town, or anywhere in Houston to get Asian or Chinese style decorations for your home. Basically stores that you would find in San Fransisco's China Town. Thanks!

They had no real idea that this area existed in Houston.

Take them to this place in the heights, it's awesome. It's an asian antique gallery.

http://www.windwatergallery.com/

Take them to this place in the heights, it's awesome. It's an asian antique gallery.

http://www.windwatergallery.com/

Thats exactly the type of stuff they like. It looks pretty expensive though. Do you know of any cheap stores like this? Also they like the clothing like this woman has on, but you know the kind you hang up for decoration.

http://windwatergallery.com/Title%20Menu/About%20Us.htm

And they also like the cheap Chinese house shoes and other nick-nack stuff. lockmat, do you know about Hong Kong City Mall? What do they have?

Also do the streets near Harwin have the same stuff as Harwin? Are there any other areas in Houston similar to Harwin?