Lubbock Field At 6600 Fannin St.

Highrise Tower

I was browsing the newspaper Jewish Herald-Voice dated April 24, 1941 and came across a sports field (for baseball and football) that was located "off South Main." The field was named Lobbuck Field. I figured this was HISD's Butler Stadium located at 13755 South Main Street.  The Butler Stadium wasn't built until the mid 1960s so I closed that thought.  I kept reading the articles about this sports field and I guess it's apart of Hermann Park?

All of the news clippings have different dates. Ranging from 1943 to 1949.

The old Settegast Field is also mentioned. I'm not too sure about that one. I haven't looked into it. Does anyone know what that's about? Where was it located and who is it named after?

Activities for Labor Day, with the matches to take place at Hermann Park. At 11 a.m. the softball tourney will take place at Lubbock Field. A box lunch will be held from 12 till 1:30 at Hermann Park. The softball finals and bowling finals will take pale that afternoon at their respective locations. The ping-pong tourney will be held at the T.M.C.A. From 4:30 until 6 that evening.

UG5oTb4.png

WC9L3dd.png

UVmv3HA.png

uJwWTyq.png

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Found an elusive baseball diamond field on Fannin Street across from South Main Street from the 1920s/1930s. Very cool.  Never knew about this! The first diamond field in the Texas Medical Center? Besides the Rice field across the street of course.

Anyone know what this field was called? Cool history here!

First spotted this field on the Houston Gargoyle Magazine map dated May 1, 1932, with the map called Houston's Cradle of Culture & Environs.

FwF7YBG.jpg

Aerial view of Rice Institute from South Main. It's across the street on Fannin Street. You can barely make out the diamond.  You can see the grandstand as well as two overhead light posts.

JXv02kp.jpg

zTcV3re.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 6:59 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Found an elusive baseball diamond field on Fannin Street across from South Main Street from the 1920s/1930s. Very cool.  Never knew about this! The first diamond field in the Texas Medical Center? Besides the Rice field across the street of course.

Anyone know what this field was called? Cool history here!

First spotted this field on the Houston Gargoyle Magazine map dated May 1, 1932, with the map called Houston's Cradle of Culture & Environs.

Might be this:

67693F13-4E7D-4A05-84B0-831B88BBF649_1_105_c.jpg

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Lubbock Field At 6600 Fannin St.
On 9/25/2023 at 12:19 PM, editor said:

Might be this:

67693F13-4E7D-4A05-84B0-831B88BBF649_1_105_c.jpg

Thank you sir.  That was a good read!

I found the field in question, with an address! Talk about a needle in a haystack.

From the newspaper The Jewish Herald-Voice dated December 15, 1949.

Jewish Community Center Athletic and Social Events

Sports Schedule for the Coming Week
JCC Junior Football
Sunday, December 18, 9:30 a.m. Lubbock Field, 6600 Fannin.

IZL9QY7.jpg

NbNNAOV.jpg

• Like 1