Cook's Hoedown Club At 603 Capitol St.

Don Julio

Stuns me to think that Elvis went through that grinding schedule to play in towns of sometimes no more than 2,000 or 3,000 people in gyms and small clubs. Check it out: He plays Cook's Hoedown in Houston (located on Telephone Road) on the 24th then hauls it 400-plus miles to play two dates the next day, the first inWitchita Falls then an hour south to Seymour. After that, he goes all the way out west to Big Spring. That a a damn rigorous schedule.

Typical tour schedule for struggling musicians in those days. Still is for some!

Cook's Hoedown Club was actually in the heart of downtown on Capitol (and Milam?). Across the street from the City Auditorium (now Jones Hall).

Floyd Tillman made a record called "Magnolia Gardens Waltz."

It had been a recreational place since the '20s but I don't think they started having bands there until 1950. It was strictly country music.

I guess it went downhill in the late '60s, like everything else... :angry2:

Floyd Tillman made a record called "Magnolia Gardens Waltz."

It had been a recreational place since the '20s but I don't think they started having bands there until 1950. It was strictly country music.

I guess it went downhill in the late '60s, like everything else... :angry2:

Good grief, I had no idea anyone would remember Magnolia Gardens!

I remember my dad played there once in '68 or so--my youngest brother and I went with him and my mom one night. (I don't know if he played there more than once since we kids just went that time.) My dad used to play with Floyd Tillman a lot in the 50's and 60's.

If anyone has an old picture of the place, please post it! :)

Archived