2006 Texas Gubernatorial Race Poll

Jeebus

Potential 2006 Gubernatorial Candidate HAIF Poll  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which potential 2006 gubernatorial candidate are you considering voting for?

• Kinky Friedman - Independent
    • Carol Keeton Strayhorn - Independent
    • Rick Perry - Republican Incumbant
    • Chris Bell - Democrat
    • Bob Gammage - Democrat
    • Other Candidate
    • Not Voting

60 minutes just did a piece on Kinky, and I thought it would be interesting to take a quick unscientific poll to see where the forum stands.

Yes, I also saw that 60 Minutes segment last night. I like it where Kinky said he was for both school prayer and for gay marriage; conservative on one issue, liberal on the other. It kind of sounds like me. I'm a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans (most members, not me, are conservative) and I'm also a member of the American Civil Liberties Union (most members, including me, are liberal).

Yes, I also saw that 60 Minutes segment last night. I like it where Kinky said he was for both school prayer and for gay marriage; conservative on one issue, liberal on the other. It kind of sounds like me. I'm a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans (most members, not me, are conservative) and I'm also a member of the American Civil Liberties Union (most members, including me, are liberal).

Keep in mind no one can stop you from praying anywhere at any time. It is school led and santioned prayer that is not allowed.

I like what Kinky said as well. I only wish he had said silent prayer-maybe he meant to. I don't think a Christian prayer should be foisted on a Muslim anymore than I think a Wickin prayer should be foisted on a Jew. Maybe it would be better if parents took their kids to church/temple/mosque/whatever and take them to school for math, lit, science, art, music, etc.

B)

I like what Kinky said as well. I only wish he had said silent prayer-maybe he meant to. I don't think a Christian prayer should be foisted on a Muslim anymore than I think a Wickin prayer should be foisted on a Jew. Maybe it would be better if parents took their kids to church/temple/mosque/whatever and take them to school for math, lit, science, art, music, etc.

B)

That's what I've always believed. If parents want to teach their children religion, then they should take them to church. Leave the public schools for the "three 'Rs'", not the fourth "R" of "Religion".

I am supporting Kinky as an independent. I am lucky enough to pay school taxes in three counties. Kinky stated early on in an interview that if a school district wanted a new sports facility, then they should find an independent entity to fund it and give them naming rights. Tax monies should go to fund education and teachers. Made sense to me and I dont even have children.

I also believe that a strong independent showing in the state might just be the best indication that Texans are tired of the status quo.

B)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. All this hoopla over prayer in school...........I think it's parents abdicating responsibility for teaching their children what they should learn at home. If parents want the kids to start the day with prayer, have a family prayer before the kids leave for school. Any gathering that's school related, a moment of silent reflection is fine. But don't push a diety. My tax dollars should not be spent on preaching. There. I feel better now.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. All this hoopla over prayer in school...........I think it's parents abdicating responsibility for teaching their children what they should learn at home. If parents want the kids to start the day with prayer, have a family prayer before the kids leave for school. Any gathering that's school related, a moment of silent reflection is fine. But don't push a diety. My tax dollars should not be spent on preaching. There. I feel better now.

My hope is that people will not split their votes and we get stuck with Perry again. That would be horrible.

Wednesday two weeks ago, Perry kicked off his campaign...what better place than the Greater Houston Area Homebuilders Ass. ... who else was there, but our smiling and waving Tom Delay. Now did the Governor kick off his campaign there:

a.

because the TRCC( Texas Residential Construction Commission) is being investigated and he wanted to reassure his largest supporters or

b.

was it just to get more money from the builders and their backing to reasure himself he had the power in this state to be re-elected.

yeah, i loved that quote too!

I'm 100% for Kinky, but...I'm in a dilly of a pickle about whether or not I need to sign the petition for him. I've got an interesting primary that I'd like to vote in.

You see, Kinky needs a certain number of signatures from folks who don't vote in either primary election. I think he's got enough support to get those signatures...but I'd hate for him to fall short.

On the other hand, I think the Democratic Primary for District 146 State Representative will be VERY interesting, and I'd like to participate. You've got the 20+ year incumbent Al Edwards, facing two promising young bucks: Borris Miles and Al Bennett. I don't think there is a Republican running for District 146, so the Democratic primary will decide the election.

I'd really like to make my vote count in the District 146 race...but I also want to support Kinky...what do I do?!?!? :wacko:

On the other hand, I think the Democratic Primary for District 146 State Representative will be VERY interesting, and I'd like to participate. You've got the 20+ year incumbent Al Edwards, facing two promising young bucks: Borris Miles and Al Bennett. I don't think there is a Republican running for District 146, so the Democratic primary will decide the election.

Good for you! Mr. Edwards could use a rest. -_-

btw, am I correct in thinking that non-participants in primaries are also limited to signing only one petition?

(i.e., you can sign for Tough Grandma or for Kinky, but not for both)

Good for you! Mr. Edwards could use a rest. -_-

btw, am I correct in thinking that non-participants in primaries are also limited to signing only one petition?

(i.e., you can sign for Tough Grandma or for Kinky, but not for both)

You are correct...you can only sign one ballot, and only if you DID NOT vote in a primary.

And Red Scare, thanks for the advice. I knew someone with more brain power than myself would come through!

You are correct...you can only sign one ballot, and only if you DID NOT vote in a primary.

And Red Scare, thanks for the advice. I knew someone with more brain power than myself would come through!

Not sure about the brain thing, but my pleasure. ;)

BTW, Kinky is holding a fundraiser in Houston on Feb. 11. Food, drink, music and general Kinkiness. My neighbor is organizing it. Entry is $40 to $50. Anyone interested, PM me and I'll send you the email. Not sure the mods want any blatant electioneering on the board.

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure about the brain thing, but my pleasure. ;)

BTW, Kinky is holding a fundraiser in Houston on Feb. 11. Food, drink, music and general Kinkiness. My neighbor is organizing it. Entry is $40 to $50. Anyone interested, PM me and I'll send you the email. Not sure the mods want any blatant electioneering on the board.

Was anyone at the Kinky Harris County volunteer meeting last Sunday at Star? I was there and kept thinking I may "know" someone here from HAIF.

There is also a Fundraiser this Sunday March 5th in the Clear Lake area. It's at the Smoke Ring on 17050 Hwy 3 in Webster from 2:00 - 5:00. It's just south of Bay Area Blvd.

$30 includes bbq and entertainment. Kinky will be there. Bring your own beer. First 200 get a free cigar. Campaign items will be on sale also to help support the cause.

Archived