Moving To Houston

sohomod

Here's a list of Houston ISD zoned schools (some of which have magnet programs) to look into:

Elementary:

(inside Beltway 8)

* Briargrove

* Condit (Bellaire)

* Herod

* Horn (Bellaire)

* Kolter

* Lovett

* Poe

* Red

* Roberts

* River Oaks

* Twain

* West University (West University Place)

(EDIT: Forgot about Parker AND Oak Forest)

Also, you may want to look into St. George Place when it opens (I think) in Fall 2006.

(outside Beltway 8)

* Ashford (K-2)

* Barbara Bush

* Shadowbriar (3-5)

Middle:

(inside Beltway 8)

* Grady

* Johnston

* Lanier

* Pershing

(outside Beltway 8)

* West Briar

High:

(inside Beltway 8)

* Bellaire

* Lamar

(outside Beltway 8)

* Westside

NOTE: Any area zoned to Lee High has Lamar and Westside as options

There may a few other good ones I missed...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Parker Elementary in Westbury/Meyerland area is a Music Magnet. I don't know much about the school since we don't have kids, but in 2002 they won a grammy:

Parker Elementary School in the Houston Independent School District has been selected by the GRAMMY

Whew.... have had my head buried deep in Westbury listings all night long. Cross-referencing crime/parks/schools/demographics/conveniences.... this is hard work.

Re Parker Elementary: Don't know how far $2500 is going to go (could buy about 5 clarinets, eh?) but that is good news... I have my heart set on Twain or Roberts. Aside from rating exemplary with magnet arts programs they have pretty high %s of Asian kids. I grew up in the blonde blonde Scandinavian midwest and while I had a lovely childhood we are trying to give our daughter a more diverse environment.

That house on Willowisp is one of our very favorites so far, not least because it has not been "updated" with the hideous faux-Tuscan Home Depot designer tile that looks to be spreading through Houston like a plague. That tile is killing my husband. I'm afraid to show him any more photos of houses with it... he may just cancel our plane tickets. Anyway, it is certainly no Eichler but the entrance is cute, and the big LR in back has potential. Send any more you see my way!

And by the way, we love Robert and are looking forward to meeting him (are you reading this Robert?). He obviously works hard, knows his stuff, seems to be a very nice person, and most importantly, may be the only realtor in Houston who doesn't come from Bizarroland... those descriptions boasting of "decorator colors" (i.e., periwinkle and magenta), "gorgeous new tile" and "live in now, build new later" of charming albeit little bungalows, are giving me real estate headache.

We did love the look (and price!) of those Eastside bungalows but once he saw the bars on the windows and doors my husband put the big kabosh on that neighborhood. We were more willing to be real estate pioneers when we were childless but now it's all about safety. After I get done sorting through Westbury will head over to Oak Forest and then try Montrose/Museum again, this time looking at condos. Although our dream was a house and yard... Trying to sort out what our priorities are if we can't have it all: good schools, walkable conveniences, yard. Our ideal was exemplary schools right in the neighborhood; stores, library/YMCA/community center to walk to; green yard with mature trees. I'm beginning to think that's not possible for $200K, is it?

Parker Elementary in Westbury/Meyerland area is a Music Magnet. I don't know much about the school since we don't have kids, but in 2002 they won a grammy:

Parker Elementary School in the Houston Independent School District has been selected by the GRAMMY

http://www.har.com/search/engine/indexdeta...=0&backButton=Y

Okay here is an example of what looks from the front and back to have been an adorable house... description says may have been a William Floyd design. Anyway, whatever mod cuteness this house may have once (until very recently, I'll venture) possessed has been completely stripped. Much money has been spent to denude it of any charm and turn it into a gleaming generic white nothing. Yuck yuck yuck. Not as bad as all that Tuscan/Saltillo country tile but super shiny cherry flooring! Black granite everywhere! Call Bret Easton Ellis, stat! When I think of what it probably looked like before I am very sad indeedy. I would totally have bought it. Doesn't anyone leave their house alone before putting it on the market? Too many people are watching too much H&G TV in Houston!

torchlight makes a good point...houston will be what it is...

for the most urban feel, it would probably involve living near the existing metrorail line (museums, midtown, downtown destinations) BUT the whole safety and child factor comes into play...

there were quite a few kids around me (i lived more toward w gray and woodhead) but i agree that there aren't a ton of kids in general.

that's all more reason to encourage it, imo...

The Heights sounds like the neighborhood least likely to give you culture shock around here. I moved from Whittier in California and the Heights is a lot like that. Lots of bungalows and a close community. It's close to downtown.

I moved here a year ago to Spring. We are between downtown and the Woodlands. I found a great modern (see modern in the burbs?) It's a small town feel but not too whitebred and boreing. We are close enough to downtown. I can be to the aquaium in 20 minutes anytime of day. I don't know if that's because traffic isn't nearly as bad as locals make it out to be or it's just that i'm a crazy L.A. driver :)

I can walk to grocery stores, parks, service related business and soon there will be a 5 restaurant shopping center walking distance from me. Old town is close enough to ride my bike to. It's a cute little center with mom and pop shops. Some of the stuff is hokey and granny, but it is a good close community feeling to shop there. There is a farmers market every saturday in Old Town as well. I make up for my hubbies 20 mile commute by owning one car and walking everywhere I go during the week.

Schools are decent, as far as public goes. But I would agree with the other posters STAY OUT of Katy. No offense to any Christians on here, but there are way too many looney fundies out there for my taste. Also, everything is new tracts, chain stores, boreing and not very friendly!

If you are set on downtown living, the Heights is good. If you want to give the burbs a try, Spring has been very very good to me.

I say Montrose or areas on the East End such as Eastwood. Montrose to me is the most urban feeling area in town. I live within 5 blocks of 2 major grocery stores, a corner store, a great bagel store, numerous coffee shops, great boutiques, and a few unbelievable restaurants. I'm in love with the neighborhood but am renting a beautiful 1920's era apt for around $600 month. I want to buy in Eastwood and feel it will soon become a Montrose type area - retail is severely lacking right now though.

Our ideal was exemplary schools right in the neighborhood; stores, library/YMCA/community center to walk to; green yard with mature trees. I'm beginning to think that's not possible for $200K, is it?

It just doesn't really exist in Houston... not for $200k not for $500k... the city is just too spread out, and if you are in an area that does have those amenities, then it is a matter of luck as to whether or not the house you're loooking at is close enough to them.... you can live in part of West U and have a park and school right by your house, or be in West U and be 2 miles from that same park and school...

oh.. and about your pipe dreams of walking everywhere... if you are lucky enough to live close to things worth walking to you'll have late Oct to late April to be able to do so (unless the rare cold front comes through)... from May to October it'll be so hot and humid you won't want to walk more than 2-3 blocks outside... we've all got cars with awesome air conditioners for a reason!

oh.. and about your pipe dreams of walking everywhere... if you are lucky enough to live close to things worth walking to you'll have late Oct to late April to be able to do so (unless the rare cold front comes through)... from May to October it'll be so hot and humid you won't want to walk more than 2-3 blocks outside... we've all got cars with awesome air conditioners for a reason!

wimp.

I walk 12 months a year. It aint killed me yet.

Oh Lordy, it's all falling apart. My husband took a look at air/water/soil quality reports online and now thinks Houston is a mire of toxins. Never mind that we have lived for the last 15 years in Manhattan, not exactly anyone's idea of green meadow. At this rate we're going to be living in Glacier National Park. He looked up Austin's pollution levels too and now's he's saying we should be looking there instead. Although I've been told it's 2x more expensive than Houston. Any other reasons I should give him for Houston over Austin? We've bought our tickets, so we're going to be in Texas for 9 days regardless. Just trying to persuade him to look at least half that time in Houston as now he's convinced the whole place is a big oil refinery and besides we'll constantly be stuck in traffic just to get groceries or take our daughter to school ...

Maybe it sounds crazy but what we did was take our criteria (affordable housing + good arts/cultural scene + ethnic/cultural diversity + big enough to be interesting + warm sunny weather + good schools) and come up with a short list, which we then winnowed down by doing a lot of research. And came up with Houston. It's maybe not a perfect fit (i.e. we're very politically liberal and like to walk everywhere) but it seemed like it may work.

No relatives or friends in Houston. One acquaintance, a banker who was transferred there 2 years ago. And another who doesn't live in Houston but who teaches at the UoH one semester every year. Oh and someone I met once who lives in Beaumont. We are both Northerners, Midwest born and East Coast educated, and long-time New Yorkers. We were going to be brave and strike out into unknown territory. Honestly, everyone we've told is absolutely incredulous. They've heard of people moving to Vermont, London, L.A., Raleigh or even Austin. But never Houston. We just had an idea that there were lots of good things to be found in Houston and that it was an underappreciated city with bad press (v.s. an overappreciated city with good press, such as Seattle).

Are you moving to Houston strictly for the cost of living & warmer climate? Is there any Houston-specific reason you are moving here like family or a childhood home?

We are definitely underappreciated so don't listen to your friends who haven't done research like you have.

Air pollution is a problem, and it doesn't get the local attention that it really should, mainly due to mostly minorities being the ones affected. However, I've seen the plume maps from the refineries and the pollutants drift usually to the north or northwest so most inner-loop neighborhoods, even on the East End, except for those closest to the plants, don't get the brunt of toxic stream. Plus, we average 4 inches of rain a month or so, usually, so it's not like L.A. where it just sits and accumulates.

Traffic in Austin is probably worse overall than here, by the way.

Raleigh, NC

Asheville, NC

St. Petersburg, FL

Fayetteville, AR

Little Rock, AR

Santa Fe, NM

Atlanta, GA

Los Angeles, CA

We decided the first 6 were too small and for the most part too white or white/black. We really wanted a city with a very visible Asian minority. Atlanta has a surprising # of Asians and seemed progressive, interesting and well-priced. We just decided that in the end we'd rather be Texans than Georgians. There's something about the openness (physically and other) of Texas that appeals to us. Something about preferring Western over Southern, to put it reductively. Just a hunch. Also we both love Mexican culture and liked the infusion of that into the mix. Los Angeles we love. It's another city that people say has no soul but that we think has it in abundance, if you seek it out. We are hoping Houston is the same. Of course LA is also up there with Houston on the pollution and traffic, and in addition is astronomically expensive. So is NYC but the whole point of relocation is to scale back, calm down, and get out of the rat race a bit. We almost think of it as "getting back to the land," which is of course funny considering it's Houston we're talking about, but it seems like a place where we can live a simplier, gentler, less stressed, less competitive, more family-centered life without all of the harshness and nastiness (MidtownCoog aside) that is sometimes here in NYC.

I'm curious, what other cities made your short list?

Seriously. Don't move here if you care what people think about you.

You just have to take Houston for a test drive for yourself.

No amount of statistics, message boards or other information sources can help. Most, if not all of these, acutally work against Houston.

You just have to see it in person and go from there.

We almost think of it as "getting back to the land," which is of course funny considering it's Houston we're talking about, but it seems like a place where we can live a simplier, gentler, less stressed, less competitive, more family-centered life without all of the harshness and nastiness (MidtownCoog aside) that is sometimes here in NYC.

:lol:

Did places like San Antonio, Jacksonville, Kansas City, or St. Louis not make the list due to low cultural diversity?

sohomod:

I'm fascinated by your method and openess..

Some people get transferred to Houston against their will and end up loving it...others...not so much so..

but i think the ones who didn't like Houston, never really tried..or WANTED to try..(like you do!)

if you want it, Houston has it...(we even have urban gardens and farmer's markets..go figure!)

(and whatever you do..don't live in katy)

enjoy your visit! i hope you find in Houston what all of the rest of us have...

and VOTE FOR KINKY.. (another reason to move to Texas!)

look.. Austin is a gorgeous city.... but it can be super frustrating as well... it isn't big, but yet traffic is stupid there... the locals and gov't are anti-growth regardless of the reality of their growth, so the infrastructure is terrible... evenings and weekends are fine to get around, but during the week it is a nightmare...

then you have the lack of culture/diversity... it is a college town with a decent number of different ethnicities, but in reality there is little diversity... sure you've got diverse people with piercings and tattoos etc, but cuturally it is bland... there are also not nearly the same quality of arts there... the theaters and museums in Houston are incredible... I lived in Houston my whole life until I went to UT for school and while there it boggled the mind how small the city felt compared to Houston... it was just the same 5-10 restaurants and bars etc... that sort of thing is endless in Houston...

Austin has slightly better weather and certainly less pollution... but it does have more allergens... the Austin landscape is wonderful and the lakes and hills are stunning.. central Texas truly is one of the most beautiful places in this country.... but man, for my age (29) and need for diversity the place just felt too small... one day I would love to retire to the Lake Travis area, but that is it... and yes, the cost of living is much higher in Austin..

sohomod:

I'm fascinated by your method and openess..

Some people get transferred to Houston against their will and end up loving it...others...not so much so..

but i think the ones who didn't like Houston, never really tried..or WANTED to try..(like you do!)

if you want it, Houston has it...(we even have urban gardens and farmer's markets..go figure!)

(and whatever you do..don't live in katy)

enjoy your visit! i hope you find in Houston what all of the rest of us have...

and VOTE FOR KINKY.. (another reason to move to Texas!)

why not katy? Can anyone list the reasons why not?

Archived