Palms Theatre On Highway 90 At Ulrich St.

Highrise Tower

I was browsing The Bellaire & Southwestern Texan dated September 23, 1964 and came across a business listing for Palms Theatre.

Palms Theatre - Sugar Land, Texas 10 Min. Out On S-W Frway.

I never even heard of this theater. I don't see anything on the famous cinematreasures.org archive website either.  Was this possibly rebranded? Is there an exact address for this place? Looks like it's somewhere off 59 South/Southwest Freeway.

Very cool find!  Anyone ever been here?

0Nx3p2t.png

• The title was changed to Palms Theatre On Highway 90 At Ulrich St.

We went there in the late '70s-early '80s. It was known as the Palm Twin Theater at the time, because the balcony had been converted to an additional, smaller screen. The room with the larger main screen retained an old-timey, decorative appearance. Appropriately enough, we saw Flash Gordan and Raiders of the Lost Ark there. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 4:42 PM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

Star Wars there in the days before they converted the balcony to a second theater

Which narrows down when they added the second screen - 1978, maybe? I remember the chairs and walls looking brand new at the time, but I don't remember it being under construction. It was definitely there by the end of 1980, because that's where I saw Flash Gordon.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bugtoaster said:

Which narrows down when they added the second screen - 1978, maybe? I remember the chairs and walls looking brand new at the time, but I don't remember it being under construction. It was definitely there by the end of 1980, because that's where I saw Flash Gordon.

In March of 1980 I saw Coal Miner's Daughter at Palms. Flash Gordon came out in December. I think they were converting the balcony to a second screen then... I don't remember much of the movie since I was with this chick named Debbie..... .

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure what new building went in on the old Palms Theater footprint. The former shopping center that became the admin offices of Imperial had Gillery's grocery and the drugstore long before Palms was razed. 

I recall smoking cigs in the upper theater after the conversion but that was probably 1985.

• Like 1

it's an empty space right now.

Hmmm... going on memory, at The Palm Theater, we saw...

Star Wars

Alien

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Coal Miner's Daughter

Neighbors (John Belushi's last flick)

and many more, it's been gone for almost 40 years, so the memory is fuzzy

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 4:55 PM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

Neighbors (John Belushi's last flick)

We saw Continental Divide on the upper screen in 1981. Not what I was expecting from a Belushi flick. And after you mentioned it, I might remember the stairs to the upper section being taped off for construction. Can't be sure if I am thinking of a different theater at Fuqua and Hiram-Clarke that was also converting its balcony at the time.

• Like 2