Vacant Hotel Parcel On Westcreek Ln.

Found out it is a W Hotel.http://www.pcg-us.com/portfolio/renderings/8-portfolio/13-commercial-mixed-use.html

This could still be just a rendering for a proposal that went nowhere. Do you have any info that confirms this project?

Darn tapatalk didn't submit my message...

I didn't mean to project the status of the building, only that it's a W hotel since Urbanizer thought it was not.

Also, I'm surprised people don't like it. The west side needs work but the east side and overall shape is pretty cool to me.

• Like 2

Darn tapatalk didn't submit my message...

I didn't mean to project the status of the building, only that it's a W hotel since Urbanizer thought it was not.

Also, I'm surprised people don't like it. The west side needs work but the east side and overall shape is pretty cool to me.

Thanks, that makes sense. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Office tower, multifamily mid-rise, townhomes, etc projected for Westcreek.

Westcreek Complex Plans Unfold, Two More Tracts for Sale: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/01/westcreek-complex-plans-unfold-two-more-tracts-for.html

12193101975_45530f7a3c_b.jpg

Over the past few months, pieces of a prime tract of land have been quietly sold off to developers.   

Austin-based Cypress Real Estate Advisorshas been selling off parts of the Westcreek complex, a highly visible piece of property located at the 610 West Loop, adjacent to River Oaks District. Two tracts are left for sale.

“This location, coupled with a planned road to connect Westcreek Lane to the West Loop service road, makes this a premier spot for hospitality and/or condominium developments,” Brendan Lynch, senior vice president with CBRE in Houston, said in a release. He represents Cypress in the sale of the remaining Westcreek tracts.

Here is the breakdown of the property:

• Still for sale: Two tracts on San Felipe Street, one measuring 2.04 acres and the other 1.882 acres.
  • Dallas-based Peloton Commercial Real Estate has 3.7 tracts under contract and plans to develop Westcreek Center, a 368,000-square-foot office project in the complex. It plans to close mid-2014.
  • Houston-based Pelican Builders Inc. purchased two tracts, where it will build a mid-rise multifamily project on one and a gated town home development at Westcreek on the second.
  • Atlanta-based Novare Group is developing  a 25-story, 352-unit called SkyHouse River Oaks  on a recently-purchased tract on the development. The project is expected to deliver in the first quarter of 2015. Batson-Cook Construction is the general contractor, and Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Associates Inc. is the architect. Both are based in Atlanta.

Cypress Real Estate Advisors is keeping 3.2 acres and has yet to disclose its plans for the tract. It originally owned the entire 30 acres at Westchase along with the land where San Diego, Calif.-based OliverMcMillan is building River Oaks District, a 658,000-square-foot mixed-use development, which includes more than 250,000 square feet of retail and restaurants.

• Like 2

why do they have the SkyHouse site listed as "townhome development"?

wait NVM.. i just noticed there are two plots on the Building D site.. are they seriously going to put townhouses in WestCreek? thats not urban at all.. where are the hotels?

i was excited about Westcreek.. but now it seems like a mish mash of developments that wont form one singular cohesive development. kind of a bummer.. hopefully that W comes to one of the available plots and the office component is nice. being not much larger in sq footage than SkyHouse though and a lot wider, im guessing the office component wont be much taller than 12-15 stories. i hope im wrong and its taller..

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

why do they have the SkyHouse site listed as "townhome development"?

wait NVM.. i just noticed there are two plots on the Building D site.. are they seriously going to put townhouses in WestCreek? thats not urban at all.. where are the hotels?

i was excited about Westcreek.. but now it seems like a mish mash of developments that wont form one singular cohesive development. kind of a bummer.. hopefully that W comes and the office component is nice and tall.

Townhomes are not urban all? Why do you think they're called "town" homes? Every dense, walkable city has blocks and blocks of townhomes, including NYC, DC, Paris, San Francisco...

• Like 2

alright, you have a point. they are much more urban than suburban homes with large yards.. but they arent urban compared to say condos or high (even mid) rise apartments (which was more along the lines of the residential components i expected in this development).

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2

Yeah, I too was hoping for a mixture of 8 story apartments, hotel, hirise residential and office. Wasn't expecting lowball town homes.

did i miss something? isn't that exactly what we're getting - midrise apt, highrise apt, office building (potentially 2), and potentially a highrise hotel in addition to some townhomes?

what are we complaining about again?

• Like 3

did i miss something? isn't that exactly what we're getting - midrise apt, highrise apt, office building (potentially 2), and potentially a highrise hotel in addition to some townhomes?

what are we complaining about again?

Cloud713 does not like the inclusion of townhouses, and I am in agreement Edited by HoustonIsHome
  • Like 1

This maybe outside purview of this forum, but I'm curious if anyone believes that these developments will somehow lead to Post Oak Park Dr being extended all the way to Bettis. It would seem to me that the owners of the Target property (does Target lease?) would want to provide easier access to both the Westcreek and River Oaks district. Even if the owners didn't have the foresight for pedestrian access, wouldn't giving up a little property to provide vehicular access to Westheimer (Via Bettis and either Westcreek or Kettering lane) be worth it?

Would the city of Houston have to be involved if you alter the street plan? I'd imagine that the streetlight would have to be modified as well.

• Like 1

It's a shame that the gate town homes are apart of the over all property. I was hoping for a continuous flow of mid-rise structures from Westheimer to San Felipe with all these projects. Oh well! I'm excited to see some renderings.

Yep.. That's all I was disappointed in. It should still be nice.. Just won't be as cohesive with things like gated town home developments in the middle of them..

• Like 1

It's a shame that the gate town homes are apart of the over all property. I was hoping for a continuous flow of mid-rise structures from Westheimer to San Felipe with all these projects. Oh well! I'm excited to see some renderings.

Typical. We have developers from multiple cities in addition to our home grown one's and yet its the home grown one that's low balling the potential and deciding to build gated townhomes instead of hirise residential and more integrated pedestrian activity.

We need to stop us from making decisions for ourselves, lol.

• Like 2

Maybe I stand alone, but I don't have any problem whatsoever with townhomes here (gated or not). If it wasn't for the high end townhomes that turned this area around then we would not be even discussing a "Westcreek" or a "River Oaks District".

Retail follows rooftops and luxury retail follows luxury rooftops. How soon we forget that this area was all Target parking lot and 50-60 year old (albeit well-maintained) apartments just a few years ago. My point is the townhomes got the ball rolling, now we're all "ooh, nasty gated townhomes". Personally, I appreciate the diverse residential offerings here. Everyone does not prefer to live in a high-rise or midrise with the concierge all in your business and neighbors complaining that the base in your speakers are vibrating their walls.

I love the uniqueness of a lot of Houston's townhomes. We are a spread out metropolis, even within the loop. If every new residential building was a 300-unit highrise, it would take forever to build this place out.

• Like 3

Maybe I stand alone, but I don't have any problem whatsoever with townhomes here (gated or not). If it wasn't for the high end townhomes that turned this area around then we would not be even discussing a "Westcreek" or a "River Oaks District".

Retail follows rooftops and luxury retail follows luxury rooftops. How soon we forget that this area was all Target parking lot and 50-60 year old (albeit well-maintained) apartments just a few years ago. My point is the townhomes got the ball rolling, now we're all "ooh, nasty gated townhomes". Personally, I appreciate the diverse residential offerings here. Everyone does not prefer to live in a high-rise or midrise with the concierge all in your business and neighbors complaining that the base in your speakers are vibrating their walls.

I love the uniqueness of a lot of Houston's townhomes. We are a spread out metropolis, even within the loop. If every new residential building was a 300-unit highrise, it would take forever to build this place out.

that is a good point

• Like 1