Retail Center At 120 Westheimer Rd.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created June 3, 2017. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly). The information may be outdated or no longer relevant, but reupping provides an archive to what was posted. It also provides a place to post future updates about this property if and when it's redeveloped  An archive link  of thethread before its deletion is coming.

The empty lot at 120 Westheimer, next to the strip center with Jus' Mac near Bagby will become a strip center.

hl4uqQZ.jpg

This was originally posted June 3, 2017 in the previous thread for 120 Westheimer. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Specs from Loopnet listing:

120 Westheimer Rd. Houston, TX 77006

New 7,654 SF Retail Center on Lower Westheimer
Just west of new Whole Foods mixed use Develop.

• 7,654 SF Available
  • Up to 2,500 SF of Restaurant
  • Steps away fro new Whole Foods Mixed Use Development
  • 40 Parking Spaces
  • Immediate Access to Hwy 59
  • Ideally Located between Montrose and Midtown

Marketing materials:
https://www.davis-commercial.com/property/lease/120n-Westheimer-Rd.html

OaxmCla.jpg

5LHIqnc.jpg

Site plan

ZvpFksK.jpg

This was originally posted June 3, 2017 in the previous thread for 120 Westheimer. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Davis Commercial really dropped the ball on this one. With the proposed lane changes for lower Westheimer and limited room for growth, this strip center will waste valuable space, with no vertical parking garage or vertical structure for businesses.

This was in the previous thread for 120 Westheimer. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by trymahjong June 3, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

Wonder why store front not next to Westheimer. Parking would be in back.

That is new trend COH is pushing for.

Years ago I had heard this plot owned by same family as historic house in back, and was going to demolish that house for parking so a big Steak house restaurant could go in.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was in the previous thread for 120 Westheimer. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by IronTiger, June 3, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

Before getting all the pitchforks, I'm going to guess this isn't owned by the same people as the ones who own the the strip center with Jus' Mac nearby, as they wanted to make a semi-contiguous structure rather than a completely different building that faces the front, which is why the right side of the shopping center extrudes outward to connect with the other one, which was built in 2004.

Originally posted by bobruss, June 4, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

Looks like the typical suburban 20th century strip with all of their parking in front. On Westheimer no less.

Thats a shame. What a waste especially with Westheimer being redesigned.

Our city  planning department is stuck in the past and probably more responsible for these kinds of developments than anyone.

The leasing sign read "Available First Quarter 2018"
We're now well into the last quarter of 2019 and there's still nothing open here. 
I'm all for street level retail. But is it possible that the Montrose/Midtown area is over-saturated with retail space?  Just down the street The Shoppes at Midtown (3030 Travis) looks like a ghost town. Next door 202(?) Westheimer (the former mattress store) stood vacant for at least a year before the current pet supply store moved in. 
No wonder apartment developers aren't tripping over each other to offer even more SLR. 

• Like 1

Originally posted by Texasota, June 3, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

Eh, to be fair, it's the planning department that's responsible for that nice new Westheimer redesign. That being said, setback and parking requirements haven't gone away and definitely contribute to this nasty disappointment.  

Originally posted by bobruss, June 7, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

No there should be a process where the city exerts some muscle on these film flam developers who don't seem to care about the crap they put up.

It seems like there are plenty of vacant lots in the burbs for these dirt bag bottom dweller developers to disfashion and destroy!

I thought I'd use a little alliteration for emphasis.

• Like 1

Originally posted by gmac, June 7, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

It would be ideal if the city could tell private parties what they can and can't do with their money on the land they own. It would stop all these awful structures being built. I don't think there would be any disagreements, either.

Originally posted by Texasota, June 8, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

On 6/7/2017 at 5:06 PM, gmac said:

It would be ideal if the city could tell private parties what they can and can't do with their money on the land they own. It would stop all these awful structures being built. I don't think there would be any disagreements, either.

Straw men for everyone!

Originally posted by Naviguessor, June 8, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

To me, this seems to be pretty close the right use of this lot and the most efficient use of the property.  It, also, matches the building which it shares a property line with, which steers a commonsense design.  Otherwise, it'd be just a pad site or two, with an additional curb cut ...which would be worse, IMO. 

Originally posted by trymahjong, June 8, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

If COH can't start this piece of development to be storefront next to street parking in back.....which piece of proposed development  will they start with?

Originally posted by IronTiger, June 8, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

On 6/8/2017 at 11:05 AM, trymahjong said:

If COH can't start this piece of development to be storefront next to street parking in back.....which piece of proposed development  will they start with?

The shopping center at the southeast corner of Westheimer and Montrose has been rumored for redevelopment for several years now. A tasteful-looking building that fits in with the scale of Montrose with streetside retail would be even better, wouldn't it?

Originally posted by Naviguessor, June 8, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

If the COH were to make a regulation/guideline for future development, than fine. Lord knows, the city could use more development guidelines. Developers could and would follow the regulations.    But, to write a regulation, after a property owner/developer has submitted a development legal proposal, is most likely illegal and certainly unfair. 

Originally posted by trymahjong, June 9, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

I don't want to confuse arm twisting with regulation making but the lower Westheimer traffic study wasn't something that just popped up in 2017- that the  study  has an attachment to CIP money is an indication that it had been in the works for a few years IMO

So COH must have know about it when this developer first came to the city. I'm not sure when the COH ad hoc committee was begun to direct development of store fronts on streetside  and parking in back- but it seems surely they must have overlapped. If that is so, I wonder why COH missed this opportunity-- just as I think they missed an opportunity with Paul Qui's restaurant --- doesn't anyone in COH departments speak to each other?

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, June 22, 2017 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

From Houston Chronicle about the retail center at 120 Westheimer

A new retail center planned for the Montrose neighborhood will host 7,654 square feet of shops or restaurants at Westheimer and Helena streets. 

Ryan Neyland, partner with Davis Commercial, which is marketing the property, said he'd ideally like to bring in three tenants, including one restaurant.

More here:
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/bizfeed/article/New-retail-center-coming-to-Montrose-11232717.php

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, February 20, 2018 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

Construction progress photos of the retail / commercial building at 120 Westheimer in Houston.

Photos are from Raus Construction's Facebook page.

C5XyeOd.jpg

605uVPW.jpg

Y1elCBG.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/RausConstruction/posts/1818934961458660

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, September 11, 2018 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

Updated marketing brochure from 120 Westheimer in Houston

https://davis-commercial.com/PDF/forlease/120-Westheimer-Rd-New-Dev-v22.pdf
https://web.archive.org/web/20180911121912/https://davis-commercial.com/PDF/forlease/120-Westheimer-Rd-New-Dev-v22.pdf    (archive link)

• Steps away from new Whole Foods
  • Ready for Occupancy
  • 40 Parking Spaces

From Davis Commercial:

Clique is a Café Rabelais restaurant concept

https://davis-commercial.com/property/lease/120n-Westheimer-Rd.html

Updated site plan for Davis Commercial's 120 Westheimer retail strip:

WIEvgRk.jpg

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, September 11, 2018 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

Completed exterior of Davis Commercial's 120 Westheimer retail strip.

Photo comes from the leasing materials in the above comment.

lGF2G9r.jpg

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, April 5, 2019 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

From a Houston Chronicle: article highlighting new businesses, particularly retail on lower Westheimer.

A retail development located at 120 Westheimer is shown Tuesday, April 3, 2019, in Houston.
Photo: Melissa Phillip, Houston Chronicle / Staff photographer

vcce7uX.jpg
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Revival-of-Lower-Westheimer-draws-offbeat-niche-13741908.php

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, September 24, 2019 in the thread for 120 Westheimer.

Construction photo from July of Clique' in the new retail strip center at 120 Westheimer, Houston.

Clique is a Café Rabelais restaurant.

Photo is from Raus Construction on Facebook:

Another exciting restaurant project in progress by Raus Construction.
Clique' French Bistro / 120 Westheimer

BYhSpd8.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/RausConstruction/photos/a.570858102933025/2587074831311332

• Like 2