Unbuilt Houston: Threads by decade or by project?

ChannelTwoNews

Unbuilt Houston Thread Options  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer threads organized

• By Project? (Individual buildings or office parks / mixed-use sites over the years)
    • By Decade? (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, etc.)

I had mentioned in the Emporis closing thread that I had submitted dozens of projects from the 70s, 80s & early 90s to that site that are now effectively wiped out, and aren't really mentioned anywhere else at this point. I still have a bunch of the stuff from the Post archives that I had printed over the years so I could use that for the older projects either way.  I figured I would put it out to everyone and see if I could get some input on how things could proceed.

Thanks in advance for helping!

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
Poll clarified
  • Like 1

I voted for "project" because it's the closest thing to address.

The reason I think address is best is because, in my estimation, people are more likely to wonder, "What was supposed to be here?" Rather than, "What didn't get built in 19xx."

Also, I don't think decade works because lots of project proposals limp along for years that often span decade boundaries.  Someone may remember, "Wasn't there supposed to be a skyscraper built here in the 70's?  Or was it the 80's?" and having decade boundaries makes it harder to find.

I'm all in favor of decade tags, and project tags since projects frequently change names as they move from idea to cancellation.  But I think of those as refining factors, not defining factors.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 1:33 PM, editor said:

I voted for "project" because it's the closest thing to address.

The reason I think address is best is because, in my estimation, people are more likely to wonder, "What was supposed to be here?" Rather than, "What didn't get built in 19xx."

Also, I don't think decade works because lots of project proposals limp along for years that often span decade boundaries.  Someone may remember, "Wasn't there supposed to be a skyscraper built here in the 70's?  Or was it the 80's?" and having decade boundaries makes it harder to find.

I'm all in favor of decade tags, and project tags since projects frequently change names as they move from idea to cancellation.  But I think of those as refining factors, not defining factors.

I've started thinking about that since there are some that fall into different categories. 

For example - Block 370, where the Tellepsen YMCA is today, briefly housed two proposals in the early 80s. The first was what I would say was a fairly non-descript building about 40 stories tall and had very little information other than a couple of entries in the Houston Post. The entity that owned it and proposed that tower scuttled those plans after they sold to Campeau Corporation which proposed the 80-story Campeau Tower, of which there was considerably more coverage, photos of models and the like. Maybe there were other plans over the years as well.

There's also the category of projects that were only partly built, leading up to the current day and I'm not sure how I'd differentiate those. A few I can think of like Westheimer Central Plaza, One Westchase Center and Granite 290 Tower among others that were all muti-tower projects which only saw one of the proposed structures built. Others like the small office park at Bissonnet and Woodfair had multiple buildings that were built, but there was at least another 12-story structure or two, residences and a retail component that were originally included as part of the plans but were later axed - the 1980s take on a mixed-use development.

I appreciate all of the feedback so far and those who have voted. I never put a time limit on it since I still need to find the things I did print out. They're still in one of my office boxes that I have yet to unpack after my move to my new home earlier in the year.

• 3 weeks later...