Holmes-Willowbend Shops

Highrise Tower

I was browsing around the University of Houston Libraries and noticed this interesting series page. 

https://findingaids.lib.uh.edu/repositories/2/archival_objects/624

This group of materials relates to Burdette Keeland's architectural practice and is comprised of project files, clippings, sketches, and some photographs.

Holmes-Willowbend Shops, 1961.

What's this exactly? There was small retail stores on Holmes road in the 1960s? The area is an industrial part of town.  Maybe the shops were related such as a tool or machinery shop? I know there (was) a small retail center on Willowbend Blvd. next to the train tracks. The center was torn down to make way for an Intown Homes townhome project.  Perhaps Burdette Keeland designed the strip center? 

55 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

I was browsing around the University of Houston Libraries and noticed this interesting series page. 

https://findingaids.lib.uh.edu/repositories/2/archival_objects/624

This group of materials relates to Burdette Keeland's architectural practice and is comprised of project files, clippings, sketches, and some photographs.

Holmes-Willowbend Shops, 1961.

What's this exactly? There was small retail stores on Holmes road in the 1960s? The area is an industrial part of town.  Maybe the shops were related such as a tool or machinery shop? I know there (was) a small retail center on Willowbend Blvd. next to the train tracks. The center was torn down to make way for an Intown Homes townhome project.  Perhaps Burdette Keeland designed the strip center? 

I am going to hazard a guess that Holmes was the name of the client, not a street name. You may have to go to UH and look at the material in person.

• Like 1