South Main Shopping Center At 12309-12367 South Main St.

Highrise Tower

I was looking on Loopnet this morning at the retail property located at South Main at South Post Oak (12309-12367 South Main Street). 

It is owned/managed by Tarantino Properties and is anchored by a Fiesta grocery store.  Another notable tenant is The Power Center, which I believe was named after an old power plant that sat at this site before redevelopment?

Anyone have any knowledge about the previous power plant? I was reading old local magazines yesterday and noticed an article about "New Plastics Plant Planned In Section".  It stated "Construction will begin soon on a $1,00,000 plastics plant at the intersection of Post Oak Road and the S.A. and A.P. railroad tracks, just north of the Bellaire city limits.  Designed as a 16-acre site, the plant will house the Wright Manufacturing Company. "

This sounds like it would be across the train tracks (and Highway 90) which is the location of the South Main Shopping Center. I did some further reading and it seems that the Wright Manufacturing Company had their (rubber) manufacturing plant at 5208 Post Oak Road, which is the current site of the Meyer Park Shopping Center. Did they have two manufacturing plants just miles apart or is the historical data I read incorrect? 

I wonder if this shopping center will ever be redeveloped into higher density? Affordable mid-rise apartments with ground floor retail? 

Loopnet listing:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/12309-12367-S-Main-St-Houston-TX/13257429/

Tarantino Properties website:

https://portal.tarantino.com/property-for-lease/tpi-south-main

7 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

I was looking on Loopnet this morning at the retail property located at South Main at South Post Oak (12309-12367 South Main Street). 

It is owned/managed by Tarantino Properties and is anchored by a Fiesta grocery store.  Another notable tenant is The Power Center, which I believe was named after an old power plant that sat at this site before redevelopment?

Anyone have any knowledge about the previous power plant? I was reading old local magazines yesterday and noticed an article about "New Plastics Plant Planned In Section".  It stated "Construction will begin soon on a $1,00,000 plastics plant at the intersection of Post Oak Road and the S.A. and A.P. railroad tracks, just north of the Bellaire city limits.  Designed as a 16-acre site, the plant will house the Wright Manufacturing Company. "

This sounds like it would be across the train tracks (and Highway 90) which is the location of the South Main Shopping Center. I did some further reading and it seems that the Wright Manufacturing Company had their (rubber) manufacturing plant at 5208 Post Oak Road, which is the current site of the Meyer Park Shopping Center. Did they have two manufacturing plants just miles apart or is the historical data I read incorrect? 

I wonder if this shopping center will ever be redeveloped into higher density? Affordable mid-rise apartments with ground floor retail? 

Loopnet listing:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/12309-12367-S-Main-St-Houston-TX/13257429/

Tarantino Properties website:

https://portal.tarantino.com/property-for-lease/tpi-south-main

The plastics plant would have been located much further North, about where 59 and 610 meet. Post Oak was the road that ran where the West Loop is now. Look for 5208 West Loop South, and you will see that address is on the very North edge of Bellaire. The SA and AP railroad(San Antonio and Aransas Pass), later part of Southern Pacific, ran parallel to 59 inside the Loop, and along what is now the Westpark Tollway.

There was never a power plant on the location of the Power Center, at least not that I can find on old aerials. It's all just empty farm land. There may have been something at the Waukesha Pearce site, but I don't think so. The 1953 aerials show an oval track of some sort there, and there's a skeet range on the West side of Post Oak, North of Main.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ross said:

The plastics plant would have been located much further North, about where 59 and 610 meet. Post Oak was the road that ran where the West Loop is now. Look for 5208 West Loop South, and you will see that address is on the very North edge of Bellaire. The SA and AP railroad(San Antonio and Aransas Pass), later part of Southern Pacific, ran parallel to 59 inside the Loop, and along what is now the Westpark Tollway.

There was never a power plant on the location of the Power Center, at least not that I can find on old aerials. It's all just empty farm land. There may have been something at the Waukesha Pearce site, but I don't think so. The 1953 aerials show an oval track of some sort there, and there's a skeet range on the West side of Post Oak, North of Main.

Here is where I found the original information.  I am not sure of the validity. 

Anyone know when the power plant near S. Post Oak and S. Main was demolished and removed?

If you look in google maps the exact space of the power plant is still there. Nothing has been built on the site; an empty pad exists. Was there contamination in the soil?

A new residential area is built to the south and to the NE there is Houston sports complex.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/48604-power-plant-at-s-post-oak-rd-south-main-st/#comment-321378

57 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

Anyone know when the power plant near S. Post Oak and S. Main was demolished and removed?

If you look in google maps the exact space of the power plant is still there. Nothing has been built on the site; an empty pad exists. Was there contamination in the soil?

A new residential area is built to the south and to the NE there is Houston sports complex.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/48604-power-plant-at-s-post-oak-rd-south-main-st/#comment-321378

That's farther SW out Main. I can't tell what the structure on the property might have been, but it doesn't look like a power plant. And that's assuming I'm looking in the right place, which I think I am. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6411877,-95.4726147,565m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

I thought that was a reference to the H.O. Clarke Generating Station, which had a fair amount of demolition take place after it was decommissioned back in the 2000s. The smokestacks are still there though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

I thought that was a reference to the H.O. Clarke Generating Station, which had a fair amount of demolition take place after it was decommissioned back in the 2000s. The smokestacks are still there though. 

That makes a lot more sense. There was a 4 screen drive in on the East side of Hiram Clarke, where the Lakeview RV park is now.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to South Main Shopping Center At 12309-12367 South Main St.