Holmes Road Lounge

Highrise Tower

I was looking at an old The Rice Thresher magazine dated October 19, 1956 and saw this small article about the Holmes Road Lounge.

Is there an address for this place? The article mentions "keep the lounge clean or adjourn the Holmes Road Dump." Are they speaking of the formal landfill where Wildcat Golf Club was eventually built? Located at 12000 Almeda Rd.  Or possible they are speaking about the Holmes Road Incinerator off of Highway 288?

I really wonder where, and what type of building/development.  Holmes road is an industrial area.  I don't see Rice University having a building out there.

wNluJms.png

2 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

I was looking at an old The Rice Thresher magazine dated October 19, 1956 and saw this small article about the Holmes Road Lounge.

Is there an address for this place? The article mentions "keep the lounge clean or adjourn the Holmes Road Dump." Are they speaking of the formal landfill where Wildcat Golf Club was eventually built? Located at 12000 Almeda Rd.  Or possible they are speaking about the Holmes Road Incinerator off of Highway 288?

I really wonder where, and what type of building/development.  Holmes road is an industrial area.  I don't see Rice University having a building out there.

wNluJms.png

I read that as students had trashed the lounge, and if they couldn't keep it clean, they should get themselves out to the Holmes Road Dump.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ross said:

I read that as students had trashed the lounge, and if they couldn't keep it clean, they should get themselves out to the Holmes Road Dump.

That's how I read it as well. The lounge in question is most likely the student lounge that was in the basement of Fondren Library in the 1950s:

https://scholarship.rice.edu/handle/1911/75259

Note the ashtrays on every table. Believe it or not, smoking was allowed in the library in certain areas until the late 1980s/early 1990s. In later years there was a smoking area on one of the upper floors, right off of the main staircase, where you would usually find smokers ensconced in overstuffed chairs perusing books from the stacks.

wrc00473.jpg?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Holmes Road Lounge