Heights Christian Church At 1703 Heights Blvd.

Ross

What I am most surprised by in that article is the disclosure that Heights Christian and First Christian have only 14 and 30 members, respectively. Those are eye-opening numbers given the size of the properties, and makes one wonder about the long-term viability of First Christian after the merger. 

3 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

What I am most surprised by in that article is the disclosure that Heights Christian and First Christian have only 14 and 30 members, respectively. Those are eye-opening numbers given the size of the properties, and makes one wonder about the long-term viability of First Christian after the merger. 

Those numbers surprised me as well. Thos are really small congregations.

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Also the Lambert Hall is on National Register of Historic Places. I wonder if that is allowed to repurposed or torn down?

Pretty sure it can be repurposed. I am not sure what the City's rules are  for NRHP properties, but it's probably a 90 day wait, then gone.

15 hours ago, Texasota said:

The city doesn't care if it's in the National Register, but I'm pretty sure Lambert Hall is also locally protected. No 90 day wait - if the historic commission denies it, they deny it.

The church and Lambert are designated as contributing structures in the East Historic District in the Heights and are protected by the historic preservation ordinance.  No way anyone would be able to get a certificate of appropriateness to tear down Lambert.  As much as the militancy over historic preservation and neighborhood qualify of life has been subdued in the Heights, I am sure the neighborhood would freak out in a big way if someone tried to tear down Lambert.  I would hope that the Heights Association would be able to round up enough cash to buy the property and maintain it as a concert hall.  The church could be converted into an event hall for weddings, etc. and make some good money on the side.  

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 1:16 PM, Texasota said:

a market hall. not a food hall, a full-fledged old-fashioned market hall.

I'd patronize an old-fashioned market hall.  But I haven't seen any food halls in Houston.  I've seen a bunch of food courts that are branded "food halls," or the even more pretentious "chef hall."  But none of them are really food halls.  You could stick a Sbarro and an Orange Julius in any of them and nobody would notice.

• Confused 1

That's absurd.  Conservatory was absolutely a food hall. POST, Bravery, and Railroad Heights are all food halls. Politan Row, during its brief time, was a food hall. Finn Hall is borderline.

Finn Hall is the only one that's flirted with more chain-like places and genuinely offered mediocre food for the price.

• Like 1

Another story about the sale of the property in The Leader......

https://www.theleadernews.com/the_arts/opera-in-the-heights-mulls-future-amidst-sale-of-longtime-home/article_3753c40a-b04e-11ec-a863-233b0b7d0035.html

"As for Opera in the Heights, the longtime tenant of the historic performing arts venue, its days there might be numbered."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hindesky said:

Another story about the sale of the property in The Leader......

https://www.theleadernews.com/the_arts/opera-in-the-heights-mulls-future-amidst-sale-of-longtime-home/article_3753c40a-b04e-11ec-a863-233b0b7d0035.html

"As for Opera in the Heights, the longtime tenant of the historic performing arts venue, its days there might be numbered."

I think something will get worked out. I could see the church going and Lambert Hall staying, hopefully both stay. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Heights Christian Church For Sale - 1703 Heights Blvd.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Heights Christian Church At 1703 Heights Blvd.
  • 2 weeks later...

"After months of not knowing what the future for the neighborhood staple might hold, a consortium including a longtime Houston singing club and two donors have purchased the property including Lambert Hall and will let Opera in the Heights remain as a tenant at the historic performing arts venue, according to Eiki Isomura, the opera’s artistic and general director."

https://www.theleadernews.com/the_arts/opera-in-the-heights-to-remain-at-lambert-hall/article_eea2c9be-2ed7-11ed-ac75-e308baa39cfb.html

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

"Opera In the Heights’ 2022-23 season will begin Dec. 3 in a familiar place: Lambert Hall, its home since 1996. That was hardly a foregone conclusion just a few months back, but the property has since been acquired by Houston Saengerbund, the city's oldest musical association, chartered in 1883. That's a huge relief to artistic and interim general director Eiki Isomura."

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/classical/opera-in-the-heights-saengerbund-17621823

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1