Modera Oak Forest: Multifamily At 1624 W. 34th St.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created August 29, 2019. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link  will be posted soon. An archive link to this thread before its deletion is here

Mods, please don't move this to the Heights forum where all of my other Washington Corridor and Rice Military, and Garden Oaks/Oak Forest posts were moved to this week. This is NOT in the Heights and it's not part of the Greater Heights area. It's an entirely different area that as suggested and advocated for previously needs its own area forum. There is lots of development happening here, much spurred by the Sawyer Yards and Buffalo Heights developments, which usually merits the creation of a new neighborhood forum. Thanks.

1624 West 34th St in the Central Northwest area of Houston:

Street View

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was originally posted  August 29, 2019 in the previous thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to this thread before its deletion is here

From Swamplot, August 2016 on the property of 1624 W 34th St:

Today’s Sponsor of the Day post comes to us from Crescere Capital Management, with an announcement about the Gospel Truth Pentecostal Church in Oak Forest. Thanks for supporting Swamplot!

The Gospel Truth Pentecostal Church sits on a 2-acre site at 1624 W. 34th St., just east of Ella Blvd. The congregation has outgrown this facility and is moving to a much larger building now under construction at 809 West Rd. (and changing its name, to Victory Worship Center), which it hopes to occupy in time for Easter 2017. So . . . now there’s more news about changes in store for this part of Oak Forest. The Gospel Truth congregation has sold its 34th St. property to Crescere, the same company that owns the Shops at Oak Forest at the corner of 43rd St. and Ella Blvd. and is developing the new 33 1/3 @ Thirtyfourth retail center at the corner of 34th and Ella — a half-block away from the church on the other side of the street.

The church, which was built in 1970, is a 7,000-sq.-ft. structure that could be repurposed for any number of uses — especially any requiring plenty of parking.The building fronts 34th St, with parking lots in back, fronting both 34th 1/2 St. in back and Couch St. on the west side.

More: http://swamplot.com/swamplot-sponsor-the-soon-to-be-former-gospel-truth-pentecostal-church-building-on-34th-st-in-oak-forest/2016-08-23/

9iE41PG.jpg

This was originally posted  August 29, 2019 in the previous thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to this thread before its deletion is here

An update on the property of 1624 W 34th St.

From the Leader today:

Crescere Capital’s Chris Hotze, who owns the Shops at Oak Forest, opened his second big development in the area — 33 1/3 @ Thirtyfourth on the corner of 34th Street and Ella Boulevard — in the spring of 2018.

As the owner of additional local properties, there is still more development to come.

In 2016, he purchased the former Gospel Truth Pentecostal Church at 1624 W. 34th St. when the congregation moved to a bigger facility on West Road. The building where the church was, built in 1970, is 7,000 square feet.

Two years ago, Hotze had an architect provide some ideas to repurpose the church. “Lawnchair” was one conceptual plan that imagines the structure as a restaurant.

“The focus on a restaurant comes from the market demand we are seeing and the area’s desire for more restaurant options,” Hotze said. “The density of the area and transition with families and residents makes restaurants want to be here.”

However, Hotze said there are many other options.

“It could be repurposed for any number of uses — especially any requiring plenty of parking,” he said. “The building fronts 34th Street, with parking lots in back, fronting both 34th 1/2 Street in back and Couch Street on the west side. There are different ways to set up a property like this as an event venue, a restaurant or multi-restaurant destination. The ample parking and ability to get in and out of the site make it that much more user-friendly and a potential for multiple tenants.”

Now that 33 1/3 is fully tenanted, Crescere recently signed an agreement with Christie Amezquita and Suzy Thompson at Shop Companies to list the property for lease.

https://theleadernews.com/development-continues-at-ella-and-34th/

This was originally posted  August 29, 2019 in the previous thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to this thread before its deletion is here

A rendering of the proposed development at 1624 W 34th St.

This was the site of Gospel Truth Pentecostal Church.

The rendering was published in the above article on the Leader's site.

nBViTVu.jpg
(original link)

Zoomed in
q12MZWt.jpg

HszmVlN.jpg

This was in the previous thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to this thread before its deletion is here

Originally posted by Texasota, August 29, 2019 in the thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest.

It's kind of a neat little building. I'm into it.

This was in the previous thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. An archive link to this thread before its deletion is here

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, September 23, 2019 in the thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest.

Marketing documents released for 1624 W. 34th St in Houston. This is the site of  the former Gospel Truth Pentecostal Church that Crescere Capital is redeveloping. 

The property is 9,200 SF.

From the documents, it seems this will be a food hall or food court-like space with a bar. Preliminary plans also show a pop-up space for a bar or restaurant or an event space. There is an outdoor dining area and fenced playing area.

Shop Cos is the leasing agent for the property.

Former church available for lease in the heart of Garden Oaks. With countless developments underway nearby, the site is perfectly positioned in the midst of the 34th Street retail/restaurant corridor of the GOOF neighborhood. Prospective tenant has rare opportunity to transform vacant church building into a cornerstone for the community.

https://shopcompanies.com/properties/9200-sf-building-lease-garden-oaks  (archive link)

Brochure: 
https://shopcompanies.com/properties/pdf/9200-sf-building-lease-garden-oaks  (archive link)

QMCMH07.jpg

0nMB1Wi.jpg

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, September 23, 2019 in the thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest.

Site plan for 1624 W. 34th St in Houston. This is the site of  the former Gospel Truth Pentecostal Church that Crescere Capital is redeveloping. 

From the documents linked above, it seems this will be a food hall or food court-like space with a bar. Preliminary plans also show a pop-up space for a bar or restaurant or an event space. There is an outdoor dining area and fenced playing area.

Site plan:
xvLtfTX.jpg
(direct link to full-sized, non-compressed image)

Another proposed rendering, this one is inside of 1624 W. 34th St in Houston. This is the site of  the former Gospel Truth Pentecostal Church in Garden Oaks that Crescere Capital is redeveloping. 

From the marketing brochure linked above:

UyfWE7X.jpg

Originally posted by Purdueenginerd, September 23, 2019 in the thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest.

I like this. Good reuse of an existing space. 

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, September 24, 2019 in the thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:55 AM, Purdueenginerd said:

I like this. Good reuse of an existing space. 

I agree. 

Houston Chronicle's Real Estate section should publish a series on readaptive uses in Houston. There could be a portion on religious centers. There have been a few former worship centers that I'd like to see included:

- the church turned into a park
- First Church of Christ Scientist converted into the club Spire
- and this project

Originally posted by Angostura, September 24, 2019 in the thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest.

On 9/24/2019 at 4:14 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

I agree. 

Houston Chronicle's Real Estate section should publish a series on readaptive uses in Houston. There could be a portion on religious centers. There have been a few former worship centers that I'd like to see included:

- the church turned into a park
- First Church of Christ Scientist converted into the club Spire
- and this project

Also the building that is now One Fifth (previously Mark's, previously Dream Merchant). And I think the church at 11th and TC Jester is also on the market.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, September 24, 2019 in the thread for 1624 W 34th St | Oak Forest.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:38 AM, Angostura said:

Also the building that is now One Fifth (previously Mark's, previously Dream Merchant). And I think the church at 11th and TC Jester is also on the market.

I forgot about the church  that's now One Fifth. Good add and I agree.

• The title was changed to Gospel Truth Pentecostal Church 1624 W 34th St
  • 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Gospel Truth Pentecostal Church At 1624 W. 34th St.
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Modera Oak Forest: Multifamily At 1624 W. 34th St.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/26/2023 at 12:46 PM, goofy said:

is this going to get merged w/ the moderna oak forest thread? 

32 minutes ago, goofy said:

The building was pulled down a long time ago. The lot is vacant and for sale. 

@goofy the Modera Oak Forest topic should have been merged with this one. That's how it usually works and how other moderators go about doing it. However, @Highrise Tower took it upon himself to move this topic out of the Other Neighborhood forum or the Heights forum last year and into this one - Holy Places. He did the same thing last year with the topic about the downtown church transformed into the nightclub by Cle Group. He's always sneaky about it by changing his online status to hidden and making all these changes without any reason (like changing everyone's topic title even shortly after the topic is created, moving topics often to the wrong forums, and on and on.) None of the other moderators do this. 

Both topics were started because the churches were up for sale and likely were going to be repurposed (or in this case, demolished.) Still, for whatever reason, Highrise Tower decided on his own to move both topics to Holy Places when the discussions in those topics clearly were about redeveloping the properties or buildings.  

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

1 hour ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

@goofy the Modera Oak Forest topic should have been merged with this one. That's how it usually works and how other moderators go about doing it. However, @Highrise Tower took it upon himself to move this topic out of the Other Neighborhood forum or the Heights forum last year and into this one - Holy Places. He did the same thing last year with the topic about the downtown church transformed into the nightclub by Cle Group. He's always sneaky about it by changing his online status to hidden and making all these changes without any reason (like changing everyone's topic title even shortly after the topic is created, moving topics often to the wrong forums, and on and on.) None of the other moderators do this. 

I am not sure why you think this is something cynical by moving this to Holy Places.... Honestly, I can see why @Highrise Tower moved the topic here. Your comment makes it like sound like they are some sort of secret spy looking to sabotage the website.. like we're playing Among Us or something. I ask that you please consider that their intent is not hostile. I think that's a reasonable way of going about this.

That being said, since it looks like multifamily is going in here, I will move this over to the Heights subforum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2024 at 9:02 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Both topics were started because the churches were up for sale and likely were going to be repurposed (or in this case, demolished.) Still, for whatever reason, Highrise Tower decided on his own to move both topics to Holy Places when the discussions in those topics clearly were about redeveloping the properties or buildings.  

As for "sneakiness," Highrise Tower has the same right to change his online status as any other HAIFer, including you.  And I'm not sure how it would be "sneaky" since there is a record of every change made to the thread.  

It makes sense to me that it would have been put into Holy Places, since at the time that was what it most recently was, and the future plans for the location were not yet clear.

Now that there is an indication of it being something else, @Triton is correct to move it to the Heights section.  If construction starts on something substantial, it would make perfect sense for it to then be moved to Going Up.  

This is HAIF, not a Tom Cruise film.  Not everything is a conspiracy.  

On 3/13/2024 at 5:32 PM, steve1363 said:

W. 34th and Ella is NOT the Heights.  If you are going to organize this site then please do it right.  Otherwise why create subforums at all.

My exact sentiments. Oak Forest, Garden Oaks, Independence Heights, and the rest of the nearby neighborhoods that's north of 610 have a lot of development going on. And development aside, there are lots of existing buildings in those areas that should have a subforum devoted to it. 

It's strange there is no subforum for that area after so many years. Nor are there ones for the Meyerland and a few others.

Even stranger, suburbs are grouped with other neighborhood in Houston proper. Previously, there were forums for each of the suburbs. They were group together like The Woodlands/ Spring/Tomball/Conore area, Friendswood/League City/Webster/Texas City, and so forth. Within those subforums, were other subforums for each of the cities like one for The Woodlands, one for Spring, and so on. Now, they are all mixed in together with neighborhoods in Houston. Like Points North includes Houston's northern neighborhoods plus The Woodlands, Spring, and so on.

Ultimately, this lack of much needed subforums a disorganization makes it hard to find things specific to certain areas when they're all lumped together. I understand when visitors to the site say it's hard to navigate or not user friendly due to the changes made a few years back (when Editor got rid of the suburb subforums), not to mention the search not working that well.

On 3/13/2024 at 6:46 PM, hindesky said:

Anything north of Buffalo Bayou and south of the North Beltway 8 seems to be someone's vision of the Heights. 🤷‍♂️

You and I both know who that someone is. We've talked about him in private messages about his constant need to edit and move everyone's topics when it's not needed.

It's the same someone whose vision of the Katy Freeway also includes the Brasewood and Meyerland areas. That person moves topics about Braeswood and Meyerland to the subforum for places along the Katy Freeway.

And when you go to another moderator about it, they'll correct it. But as sure as Houston has long humid summers, that person moves it back a few weeks or months later. He does the same thing with topic titles. The one positive thing I can say is at least that person stopped putting topics about Fifth Ward and Near Northside in the Downtown subforum (I'm talking about after those forums were established in 2018 or 2019.) So, there's that. 🤷🏿‍♂️

4 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

You and I both know who that someone is. We've talked about him in private messages about his constant need to edit and move everyone's topics when it's not needed.

It's the same someone whose vision of the Katy Freeway also includes the Brasewood and Meyerland areas. That person moves topics about Braeswood and Meyerland to the subforum for places along the Katy Freeway.

And when you go to another moderator about it, they'll correct it. But as sure as Houston has long humid summers, that person moves it back a few weeks or months later. He does the same thing with topic titles. The one positive thing I can say is at least that person stopped putting topics about Fifth Ward and Near Northside in the Downtown subforum (I'm talking about after those forums were established in 2018 or 2019.) So, there's that. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Who runs the show here!  More importantly how is success measured?  More site traffic?  Higher ad revenue?

2 minutes ago, steve1363 said:

Who runs the show here!  More importantly how is success measured?  More site traffic?  Higher ad revenue?

First of all, I agreed with your previous post. Second of all, I touched on a few complaints from some who've visited the forum. Some of those issues voiced have either deterred some from returning to the site or staying on the site longer out of frustration, per their own words. I've come across these complaints on Houston Reddit site, various Facebook groups, Nextdoor, and other online communities and apps. 

But all of this is off topic, which I'm guilty of doing so. Perhaps we should stay on topic. 

A post above mentions this site is on the market. Does anyone have further details?