Sign in to follow this  
C2H

IAH

Well sweatheart as you say let us look at some of posts here-

-""well "teh" spell man...""-

Funny, your mistyping of teh was not in a quote, but how exactly is that a personal attack, explain to all our readers

-"You have shown nothing but a lack of understanding which does not suprise me after reading all of your posts here. "-

All of your posts did show a lack of understanding, you even noted it yourself if your "obtuse" ref. How is a lack of understanding a personal attack? I do not understand heart surgery, but I would not see it as a personal attack if the doc told me so.

-"constant use of you favorites "kiddo" and "kid""-

Kid, I call everyone kid, and have for years, it has long been a favourite of mine, since college.

While you might find something patronising, doing such does not make a personal attack

-""people like you, simpletons if you will,""-

Being a simpleton is not really a pejoritive[sic] but a ephamism for uneducated, which you are on the subject.

-""look out from your RJ window (that is the round thing made of glass and plastic""-

Ditto, where is the profanity or personal attack?????

-""I would type slower if I could HAHA.""-

I refer the right honourable gentleman to the response I gave some moments ago. Many times when speaking in technically jargon people speak too fast, have you never heard of such things?

-""Sorry kiddo. I am just curious as too why it bugs you? Do you have airport issues?""-

And the question stands, why do the unfinshed construction issues at Terminal A bother you, do you have airport issues?

No profanity, attacks on you personally. No casting aspersions [sic]

LOL

I never said "sweatheart" I apologize if I forgot to use a quote mark on an occasion or two. Cutting and pasting does not automatically insert quote marks.

And once again, we see no response whatsoever to the facts and arguments presented in my post

It's been fun, but I have to get to bed to be well-rested as I am preparing to depart tomorrow on a trip to thirty-seven foreign countries on four continents and several sub-continents. Good night and God Bless.

Edited by Houston19514

My whole point, all along, has been that Terminal A is not the last terminal that is to be redone into "banks" of gates from the current "banjo" design," as you stated. The truth (the fact, if you will) is that Terminal A has already been redone into banks of gates from the former banjo design

But again, very simple here, the construction for all of Terminal A is not finished, period dot, why is that so hard for you to understand.

(you keep talking about underground systems, the existence of which I am well aware and you keep conveniently ignoring that the topic is "gates" which I have not yet seen in an underground configuration, even in Atlanta... the reason I ignored your comments about the underground portions of the Atlanta airport is that your comments were irrelevant.

No you were talking about ops, not gates. Go re-read your posts. Obviously, other than a few rare examples, jetway gates do not come out of the ground (there are some rare examples). All of Atlanta's airside ops (on the terminals east of "T") are in basements, something you had issues understanding for multiple posts. Now all of sudden you are an expert on the goings on underneath the airport and airside? LOL

I had asked if you had ever seen underground gates and you responded by telling me that Atlanta has undergound baggage handling and passageways. Yes, and Seattle has a space needle... ), and Terminal B will be redone into banks of gates from their current banjo design, therefore, by simple deduction, we can see that Terminal B, not A is the last terminal that is to be redone into banks of gates from the current banjo design.

And as I noted from my first posts, Terminal B is to be redesigned as well, BUT it is not happening yet, and the plan (as Terminal As did, and at most airports) is being reworked as we speak. I never said Terminal B would not eventually be redone.

Go back to the beginning of our discussion, you will see that was the point from the start. Go to the Master Plan, you will see that I am correct.

I am well aware of the master plan, I helped with Trans plats for it when I interned with the city in 97. You asked many times, in various posts about Terminal A, and my comments about it and its underground construction and reformation. Again, Re-read your posts.

And by the way, I never said in any post that IAH has no underground ops.

No you have just asked what it means for three posts-so if you don't what it means, you still know it happens?

Now, you are apparently trying to avoid admitting your error by stating that you had also noted Terminal B would be changed. Nice try. You earlier admitted that it would be changed, but in some mysterious "different" plan, which somehow didn't constitute redoing it into banks of gates. As I've stated repeatedly, the plan is there for all to see in the Master Plan. Sure looks like banks of gates to me.
I've been ignoring all of the other statements about the undergound systems, etc etc etc, because, as I said before, it's tangential to the issue of whether Terminal A is the last terminal that will be redone into banks of gates....

You ignored them because you asked questions about them, I answered, and they were not the answers you wanted to hear. nothing was tangential when you asked a direct question about it-nice try.

I don't see any way for either of us to prove what we believe to be the case regarding the details of the underground systems. I have gotten my information from people who have worked in Terminal A baggage handling, but I have no way to prove it. And you don't have any way to prove what you're saying either. If you do, I'd love to see it. I'm genuinely curious. But, as I said, it's irrelevant to the issue we were discussing

So let us see, the paragraph before you didn't care about Terminal A, but in this one you say plenty about Terminal A ops and how you talked about it? Okay.... I'll scan some photos when I get back to my home compter this weekend and post them, or email them if you prefer. You can also look if you ever go into Terminal B southside (atTerminal A) and see the construction going on. You can also look at the photos in the current issue of "Airports magazine and see some of the construction. I get my info from actually going places and doing the things I talk about, not heresay [sic]

THe issue you brought up was various questions about Terminal A's underground system after I mentioned it in my post. When Terminal B, looks like Terminal A, call me.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Sarcasm, just another service I offer

LOL

I never said "sweatheart" I apologize if I forgot to use a quote mark on an occasion or two. Cutting and pasting does not automatically insert quote marks.

And once again, we see no response whatsoever to the facts and arguments presented in my post

It's been fun, but I have to get to bed to be well-rested as I am preparing to depart tomorrow on a trip to thirty-seven foreign countries on four continents and several sub-continents. Good night and God Bless.

You said Sweatheart in your post # 38 "And BTW, sweetheart, I know what "ops" means"

How is the crow?

I answered your questions in a seperate post, since they are seperate issues. As for arguments, you admited yourself you ignored those I answered, so you need to take your own advice.

Good trip, I've done that a few times myself. But then again I've lived on 4, been to all seven, have two passports (one Official), and do it for a living ;) . Don't force your religions garbage on those with common sense BTW. Have fun

FWIW, here is the entire list of current construction projects affecting IAH's Terminal A, according to the Manager of IAH, Bob White (copied and pasted directly from his e-mail to me):

I will give a brief on current construction affecting Terminal A:

I got an e-mail from Continental this week discussing the projects at Terminal A. There is something going on for the next few weeks on the north side of Terminal A, near United and US Airways's current gates, and the Colgan/Continental Connection parking area. The Continental Connection flights will be moving temporarilly to gate A7 (instead of mostly using gate A14) and last night when I arrived home from TYR I noticed that United was using gate A8, which had been a Continental Connection gate. The e-mail didn't specify what was going on, but that it was a temporary change to accomodate a construction project.

It does make sense that Delta would move to the A North Concourse, because right now the Delta/Continental shuttle buses have to stop at both concourses of Terminal A. Moving Delta to the North Concourse consolidates the shuttle bus service into one area for both passengers connecting between Delta and Continental and Continental and Colgan/Continental Connection. Hopefully this will breath a little more life into the usually dead North Concourse as well.

To me it would make sense for Air Canada to move along with United to the A South Concourse. That would put all of the Star Alliance carriers serving A (United, US Airways, Air Canada) in one group of gates.

In further e-mails, IAH's manager and HAS engineering department have given me more information that, shall we say, "clarifies" some of the (mis)information posted earlier in this thread regarding the reconfiguration of Terminal A:

"When the south (and north) flight stations were demolished all of the structure and underground portions of the facilities were removed. This included all electrical, plumbing and fuel systems. There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

Edited by Houston19514

So, for those keeping score at home...

Terminal A is the last one that is to be redone into "banks" of gates from teh current "banjo" design. Term A is the one that all the "other" non-Continental airlines and partners fly into for domestic (andCanada) flights. It will eventually get "guccied" up

Capt-AWACS, Watching you from 30,000 feet

It is hard to read this any other way than to think that the Cap'n was saying that Terminal A was yet to be redone into banks of gates from the current banjo design. (The word current is key here). This is obviously wrong to anyone who has set foot on IAH property in the last seven years. So, we'll grant that he might have meant that Terminal A is the last, meaning, the final, one that is to be redone into banks of gates (i.e., that Terminal B will not be redone into banks of gates from the current banjo design. Still clearly wrong. Anyone can go to see the IAH Master Plan document, which was just completed within the last couple of months, and, contrary to the Cap'n's claim, is not currently being revised. The Master Plan (which by the way, had not even been thought of in 1997 when the Cap'n claims to have worked on it; he's apparently confused it with the Capital Improvement Program that included the reconfiguration of Terminal A.) clearly calls for redoing Terminal B into banks of gates from the current banjo design.

Stubborn facts: 1

The Cap'n: 0

allow me to clarify 19514- I mean Terminal A's servicing below ground is still in the banjo configuration, which is due to be dug up and reworked over the next ~two years.

Capt-AWACS, Watching you from 30,000 feet

According to the engineering department and manager of IAH, "When the south (and north) flight stations were demolished all of the structure and underground portions of the facilities were removed. There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

Stubborn facts: 2

When A was refurbed the serving docks that link underground were not all updated. It is projected another 4 million will complete A's transformation from Banjos, and 13 mil for B.

Capt-AWACS, Veni, Vidi, Bibi

"When the south (and north) flight stations were demolished all of the structure and underground portions of the facilities were removed. There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

Stubborn facts: 3

THe servicing network of hte airport is partially "buried", as Terminal A was partially reconstructed, funds were diverted away from rearranging all of Terminal A's ops. It is quite a sight, I have toured the entire ops side of IAH on several occasions.

Capt-AWACS, No Honey I don't want to meet your parents

"When the south (and north) flight stations were demolished all of the structure and underground portions of the facilities were removed. There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

Stubborn facts: 4

well I don't know what else to say. Maybe you could think of it like a house having a basement. You move the house, the basement doesn't move unless you dig a new one. If your water heater was in your old basement you need to hook it up to the new location before it works, the same with the baggage loaders, belts, and servicing that was (and still is) in the old config under terminal A.

Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate

"There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

Stubborn facts: 5

Sorry those of us in the business know the jargon I guess LOL

Yes some of the baggage is run from the old loaders into the central system, which has not been completely refurbed yet, also several of the tug paths run from the old points in the A terminal banjos. Some of the money was redirected to the new 17/35 runway but it is now funded to complete the refurb. Ditto all of B and the full above ground terminal link connection (not to mention the old people mover refurb that will be done). You can kind of see it if you fly out of hte AA gates, you will see tugs drive "out" after servicing the aricraft airside. All of it should be finished "soon" thus getting A up to snuff, even though it si a forgotten terminal in relation to the other Continental babies and INternational ones.

Capt-AWACS, You better Belize it

"When the south (and north) flight stations were demolished all of the structure and underground portions of the facilities were removed. This included all electrical, plumbing and fuel systems. There is no basement to the south or north concourse and the flight stations had no basement. Under the construction of the South & North Concourses we replaced all of the conveyor system. Everything got changed and inbound and outbound were relocated to feed from and to under the South and North concourses. None of the conveyors traveled thru the existing tug tunnel."

and, from the manager of IAH:

"I will give a brief on current construction affecting Terminal A:

As some of you may know, I went on a trip to Atlanta this week (just got back) and flew out of Intercontental Airport. I had not been to Atlanta's airport since 2003, and had kind of forgotten what it looked like. I don't remember the termanal that we flew out of in Houston, but it was old and out of date. It was the one with the cow holding the Texas flag. I really didn't think bad of Houston's airport until I got to Atlanta's. When I got off of the flight in Atlanta I saw hundreds of people walking around and it was filled with places to eat. We had to go a long way to get our luggage so we took this thing (I don't know what its called) like a grocery store conver belt at the checkout line. It was really neat, you could walk and it would give you a bust. then we decided to take the airpottrain the rest of the way to get to the luggage. The train looked just like a reall subway (really nice), and was crowded with people. We finally got to the luggage area and crowds of people where going up to that area. It felt like I was in a big inportant city. We were then able to catch the MARTA from the airpot into downtown at a cost of only $1.75.

Back in Houston's airport yesterday, I could see the diffrence in quality of the two airports. I was kind of imbarassed at Houston's because one of the people that went with me said that everything is bigger and better in Texas, but this airport is ugly compared to Atlanta's. I tried to defend Houston by saying that they had a airport train like Atlanta's. So I took that peorson down there (had forgotten how ugly it was) and they laughed and said what is this a kidde ride from the 70s. I was mad an wondered why Houston had let it's airport go like that. The train did a bunce of unnessesary turns and only had room for about 8-10 people. Trying to defend Houston agian I made up a story about how all of this is about to be torn down and built with all of the ammenities that Atlanta's airport had. I even said that Houston METRO will run there Rail line to the airport like MATRA's is.

I just wish Houston would notice that first impressions are everything. And that there dull airport is in much need of an update for a city of it's size. I wonder is hobby that ugly and untaken care of?

I will tell the rest of my trip in another thread.

You're comparing Hobby to Hartsfield?!!!

What a....Oh, never mind. Citykid, you are priceless. :huh:

Oh, and thanks for the warning about the Propatlantaganda. I'll take a week or so off from HAIF.

Atlanta does have a lot more traffic there, since about 90 million people pass throught that airport and about 39-40 million pass through Houston's.

Atlanta does have a lot more traffic there, since about 90 million people pass throught that airport and about 39-40 million pass through Houston's.

Thats all thanks to Delta. They really have the homebase world gateway thing down with thier fortress hub in ATL :):):):):):):):)

You're comparing Hobby to Hartsfield?!!!

What a....Oh, never mind. Citykid, you are priceless. :huh:

Oh, and thanks for the warning about the Propatlantaganda. I'll take a week or so off from HAIF.

I was at Bush, not Hobby. And I think the IAH needs a name change also. I think HOU should be the name of the big airport and change Hobbys to something else. Mabe even switch the maine names of the airports I would like to see IAH as Hobby International Airport, With the initals of HOU. And eleminate the old Hobby airport add on to the newlly Named IAH and have all flights out of there.

As one of you mentioned above, I notced that Delta does that for Atlanta, so my question is, Why hasen't Continetal done it for Houston? And why hasn't American Arilines and SouthWest done it for Dallas Fort Worth? Dallas could have the greatest airport in the world.

I wonder what will happen if someone buys Delta and move the headquartes to another city, Will Atlanta still have the worlds bussiest airport?

I was at Bush, not Hobby. And I think the IAH needs a name change also. I think HOU should be the name of the big airport and change Hobbys to something else. Mabe even switch the maine names of the airports I would like to see IAH as Hobby International Airport, With the initals of HOU. And eleminate the old Hobby airport add on to the newlly Named IAH and have all flights out of there.

As one of you mentioned above, I notced that Delta does that for Atlanta, so my question is, Why hasen't Continetal done it for Houston? And why hasn't American Arilines and SouthWest done it for Dallas Fort Worth? Dallas could have the greatest airport in the world.

I wonder what will happen if someone buys Delta and move the headquartes to another city, Will Atlanta still have the worlds bussiest airport?

Heres one for you, IAH has the most non stop INTL destinations out of any airport in the country, and thats mainly thanks to Continental :)

Heres one for you, IAH has the most non stop INTL destinations out of any airport in the country, and thats mainly thanks to Continental :)

No it's second to Atlanta's. But none of that matters when you have an ugly out of date Airport.

Delta is going bankrupt, and there were some stories saying that Continental might buy them, and move the headquarters here.

Citykid, If I start an Atlanta forum website complete with spellcheck, would post there from now on?

Guest Plastic

Can you get into E. Is ometimes go to the airport when I have extrra time. D is teh old Mickey Leeland Terminal and E is the new one. You can't get into it unless you have a ticket for a flight there.

As some of you may know, I went on a trip to Atlanta this week (just got back) and flew out of Intercontental Airport. I had not been to Atlanta's airport since 2003, and had kind of forgotten what it looked like. I don't remember the termanal that we flew out of in Houston, but it was old and out of date. It was the one with the cow holding the Texas flag.

You were in Terminal A at IAH. It was renovated, and new concourses were built, starting in about 1997 and being completed around 2002. It is nicer than it used to be, but is still rather basic, with only minimal food options, especially in the North Concourse, which is the one you flew out of if you were flying Delta.

I really didn't think bad of Houston's airport until I got to Atlanta's. When I got off of the flight in Atlanta I saw hundreds of people walking around and it was filled with places to eat. We had to go a long way to get our luggage so we took this thing (I don't know what its called) like a grocery store conver belt at the checkout line. It was really neat, you could walk and it would give you a bust.
IAH Terminals B, C, and E have more variety in food choices than Terminal A. IAH Terminal E puts ATL to shame in this area. Also, those conveyors are simply called "moving sidewalks." We have them at IAH as well, just not in the terminal you flew out of. There are several installations of them in Terminals C, D, and E.
Back in Houston's airport yesterday, I could see the diffrence in quality of the two airports. I was kind of imbarassed at Houston's because one of the people that went with me said that everything is bigger and better in Texas, but this airport is ugly compared to Atlanta's. I tried to defend Houston by saying that they had a airport train like Atlanta's. So I took that peorson down there (had forgotten how ugly it was) and they laughed and said what is this a kidde ride from the 70s.

OK, again, you were flying out of Terminal A at IAH, which is the least busy. Go to Terminals B, C, and E and you'll see the massive numbers of people like you saw at ATL. Also, the underground train at IAH was not designed to connect passengers between flights at a major hub airport like ATL's was. That IAH train dates from the 1960s; ATL's is from the 1980s. However, if you take the TerminaLink train, the above-ground people mover that connects IAH Terminals B, C, D, and E, you'll see a very fast, modern system for moving larger numbers of passengers between terminals. It was opened in two stages, in 1999 and 2005.

I just wish Houston would notice that first impressions are everything. And that there dull airport is in much need of an update for a city of it's size. I wonder is hobby that ugly and untaken care of?

I will tell the rest of my trip in another thread.

Hobby used to be a lot worse, but it is slowly getting better. The new Southwest concourse at Hobby is very nice, but unfortunately several other airlines are still operating out of one of the old concourses.

As for IAH, you need to check out Terminals C and E. E is still very new; it was opened in stages between June 2003 and January 2005. It is a great facility, and is what arriving international passengers on Continental first see. Terminal C has been undergoing an extensive renovation since early 2004 that is nearing completion, and is now looking very nice in the gate areas. IAH Terminals C and E are far nicer than anything at ATL. The terminals at ATL have not seen a major renovation since they were built in the early 1980s, and are really starting to look worn in many areas.

As one of you mentioned above, I notced that Delta does that for Atlanta, so my question is, Why hasen't Continetal done it for Houston?

Uh, Continental financed and built Terminal E at IAH and the renovations to Terminal C that are nearing completion. I can tell from your posts you have not stepped inside much of the IAH terminal facilities in some time. Again, you flew out of the least busy terminal at IAH. Buy a ticket and go inside Terminals B, C, D, and E around 3:00 PM in the afternoon when all of the international flights are just arriving, and the Continental hub is in full connection mode. Your opinion about IAH not being busy will be shattered.

Continental operates over 750 flights a day out of IAH. IAH is the leading US airport for flights to Mexico and Central America, and is served by nine foreign flag carriers. Outside of the Americas, we have flights to Tokyo, Paris (three most days), London (five most days), Amsterdam (three), Taipei, and Karachi. Yes, ATL has more flights, but Delta is a bigger airline than Continental. ATL is also a hub for AirTran, and it's the only major airport serving the Atlanta area. Compare that to Houston, where we have two large airports, both with hub operations.

So, before you get anymore upset over the condition of Houston's airport, keep in mind that you saw one terminal at one of our airports, and you were in the least busy terminal we have. You missed the newest and nicest parts of IAH.

Can you get into E. Is ometimes go to the airport when I have extrra time. D is teh old Mickey Leeland Terminal and E is the new one. You can't get into it unless you have a ticket for a flight there.

You can easily get to Terminal E if you have a ticket for a flight that leaves out of Terminals B, C, D, or E. You can walk between Terminals C, D, and E without ever leaving the secured area, and Terminals B, C, D, and E are all connected behind security by the TerminaLink people mover.

You can technically get to E from the north concourse of A as well, by using the bus transfer service that is operated there to allow passengers on Delta and Colgan/Continental Connection to connect to Continental and Continental Express.

Delta is going bankrupt, and there were some stories saying that Continental might buy them, and move the headquarters here.

Delta is already in bankruptcy. Despite the rumors, it is probably unlikely that Continental will buy them, since Continental has enough problems of its own.

No it's second to Atlanta's. But none of that matters when you have an ugly out of date Airport.

Source please? I understand IAH is second to Atlanta in overall number of destinations, but as to International destinations, I'm a little skeptical of that claim.

The best information I can find re: ATL is from the ATL website, where they said: "With this summer's additions, Delta will serve 66 international destinations in 40 countries from Atlanta." Which means that in the future, they expect to have 66 destinations.

The best information I found re: IAH was from May of last year, when IAH had 68 international destinations (and I'm pretty sure they have added some more since then and will probably add more still between now and the end of this summer.)

Edited by Houston19514

Source please? I understand IAH is second to Atlanta in overall number of destinations, but as to International destinations, I'm a little skeptical of that claim.

The best information I can find re: ATL is from the ATL website, where they said: "With this summer's additions, Delta will serve 66 international destinations in 40 countries from Atlanta." Which means that in the future, they expect to have 66 destinations.

The best information I found re: IAH was from May of last year, when IAH had 68 international destinations (and I'm pretty sure they have added some more since then and will probably add more still between now and the end of this summer.)

IAH does have more nonstop International destination than any other airport in the country. Maybe Citykid didnt understand INTL meant international.........

Citykid: did you happen to get a look at the airside ops in Atlanta out of your RJ window?

What? :blink:

Just ran across this update. With the addition of Buenos Aires, IAH now has 73 international destinations.

I think IAH needs the following destinations:

* Rome

* Madrid

* Delhi

* Mumbai

* Dubai

* Cairo

* Beijing

* Shanghai

* Johannesburg

* Dakar or Lagos

* Santiago, Chile

* Sydney

I am glad that Continental is expanding out of IAH. Its nice seeing the airport grow with the city.

* Rome

* Madrid

* Delhi

* Mumbai

* Dubai

* Cairo

* Beijing

* Shanghai

* Johannesburg

* Dakar or Lagos

* Santiago, Chile

* Sydney

I am glad that Continental is expanding out of IAH. Its nice seeing the airport grow with the city.

I have a feeling when the Boeing 787 comes online, you will see these destinations and more from IAH.

I have a feeling when the Boeing 787 comes online, you will see these destinations and more from IAH.

I'm not exactly sure which cities will be available to a 787 from IAH versus the existing 18 777-200ER models. The 787 should get a few hundred extra miles, somewhere in the low 8000 nm range. Of course, just having more aircraft that can fly long distances will help tremendously towards adding destinations. I think Continental has plans to purchase ten 787s at the moment, the only US carrier to do so. However, I'm sure EWR will eat up some of those additional long range flights.

Edited by BWSchultz

You can easily get to Terminal E if you have a ticket for a flight that leaves out of Terminals B, C, D, or E. You can walk between Terminals C, D, and E without ever leaving the secured area, and Terminals B, C, D, and E are all connected behind security by the TerminaLink people mover.

You can technically get to E from the north concourse of A as well, by using the bus transfer service that is operated there to allow passengers on Delta and Colgan/Continental Connection to connect to Continental and Continental Express.

OK, just had to comment on this one....;)

The words easily and Terminal E should not go together. As pretty as the terminal is, it can be a nightmare sometimes. There is nothing quite like spending a long day in another city, only to arrive back at 10pm and pull into gate E20. When you get off the plane and figure out where you are, it makes you want to give up, grab a chair at the gate and just fall asleep there instead of making the trek back to the shuttle buses in Terminal C.

OK, just had to comment on this one....;)

The words easily and Terminal E should not go together. As pretty as the terminal is, it can be a nightmare sometimes. There is nothing quite like spending a long day in another city, only to arrive back at 10pm and pull into gate E20. When you get off the plane and figure out where you are, it makes you want to give up, grab a chair at the gate and just fall asleep there instead of making the trek back to the shuttle buses in Terminal C.

OK, just had to comment on this one.... ;-)

And that constitutes a NIGHTMARE to you? Maybe you'd be happier living in a city like Tulsa. ;-)

OK, just had to comment on this one.... ;-)

And that constitutes a NIGHTMARE to you? Maybe you'd be happier living in a city like Tulsa. ;-)

Nope, would just be happier to have an airport that doesn't require a 20 minute walk from gate to shuttle bus. I don't need pretty, I need functional. In that regard, lil ol Terminal A beats the rest of IAH hands down.

Nope, would just be happier to have an airport that doesn't require a 20 minute walk from gate to shuttle bus. I don't need pretty, I need functional. In that regard, lil ol Terminal A beats the rest of IAH hands down.

Wahh, wahhh, wahhhh. This "nightmare" of yours is entirely within your control. If flying into Terminal E is such a freakin' nightmare then just fly on airlines that fly in and out of Terminal A, or Hobby Airport. Sheesh. I understood that you didn't like the "20 minute walk". With the destinations and flight frequency that living in a big city with a major hub airport affords you, come some inconveniences (relatively minor in this case).

And I return to my main point: if this constitutes a "nightmare" at Bush Intercontinental (the 9th busiest airport in America, 17th busiest in the world), then things must be working pretty darned well.

* Rome

* Madrid

* Delhi

* Mumbai

* Dubai

* Cairo

* Beijing

* Shanghai

* Johannesburg

* Dakar or Lagos

* Santiago, Chile

* Sydney

I think Seoul should be there too :)

What are the odds of having Richard Branson bring the Virgin brand to IAH?

I'm not exactly sure which cities will be available to a 787 from IAH versus the existing 18 777-200ER models. The 787 should get a few hundred extra miles, somewhere in the low 8000 nm range. Of course, just having more aircraft that can fly long distances will help tremendously towards adding destinations. I think Continental has plans to purchase ten 787s at the moment, the only US carrier to do so. However, I'm sure EWR will eat up some of those additional long range flights.

I don't think it's just a matter of having longer range than the currently available aircraft. I think it has more to do with the efficiency and the ultimate cost per available seat. I believe the 787 will be more fuel efficient and generally have a smaller seating capacity than the 777 and thereofore might open up additional international markets for service out of IAH.

Wahh, wahhh, wahhhh. This "nightmare" of yours is entirely within your control. If flying into Terminal E is such a freakin' nightmare then just fly on airlines that fly in and out of Terminal A, or Hobby Airport. Sheesh. I understood that you didn't like the "20 minute walk". With the destinations and flight frequency that living in a big city with a major hub airport affords you, come some inconveniences (relatively minor in this case).

And I return to my main point: if this constitutes a "nightmare" at Bush Intercontinental (the 9th busiest airport in America, 17th busiest in the world), then things must be working pretty darned well.

Do you in fact work for IAH, cause you sure seem intent on defending their honor. Put lipstick on it if you want, but Terminal E is still a pig. Yes, blah, blah, blah, I love Houston, and Continental, blah blah, but I have a right to my own perceptions, and your facts will never penetrate my perception that Terminal E is way too big to not have it's own entrance.

HeightsGuy,

Don't mess with Houston19514.

I got in trouble for calling him out on the "New Downtown Park" thread.

So I do think he works for the city.

HeightsGuy,

Don't mess with Houston19514.

I got in trouble for calling him out on the "New Downtown Park" thread.

So I do think he works for the city.

Calling me out??? You do live in your own little world there, don't you? One minute you think I work for Mr. Finger and now you think I work for the city... I'm really a double/triple undercover secret agent. I work for both of them AND the CIA.

Do you in fact work for IAH, cause you sure seem intent on defending their honor. Put lipstick on it if you want, but Terminal E is still a pig. Yes, blah, blah, blah, I love Houston, and Continental, blah blah, but I have a right to my own perceptions, and your facts will never penetrate my perception that Terminal E is way too big to not have it's own entrance.

No I do not work for IAH. Why do certain people presume that only those who work for an organization ever defend it or present facts about it? Odd. Very odd.

And yes of course you have the the right to your own perceptions.

And yes, I've seen before that you can be quite impenetrable to facts.

And I also have the right to mock your pereception that a walk from your gate to the shuttle at a major international hub airport (something that is far from an unusual requirement at major international hub airports) is a "nightmare". ;-)

Calling me out??? You do live in your own little world there, don't you? One minute you think I work for Mr. Finger and now you think I work for the city... I'm really a double/triple undercover secret agent. I work for both of them AND the CIA.

No I do not work for IAH. Why do certain people presume that only those who work for an organization ever defend it or present facts about it? Odd. Very odd.

And yes of course you have the the right to your own perceptions.

And yes, I've seen before that you can be quite impenetrable to facts.

And I also have the right to mock your pereception that a walk from your gate to the shuttle at a major international hub airport (something that is far from an unusual requirement at major international hub airports) is a "nightmare". ;-)

OK, then I have the right to assume you're not a business traveler and do not know what it's like to work an 8 hour day in Boston, fight your way to Logan airport in rush hour, jump on a 100% full flight that may or may not depart at 6:55pm because it snows 9 months out of the year in Massachusetts, and arrives in Houston at 10pm. So, yeah, it is a freaken nightmare to have to walk another 20 minutes after that loaded up with a carry-on and laptop.

And, God, I can't believe I'm agreeing with MidtownCoog on something.

Edited by HeightsGuy

OK, then I have the right to assume you're not a business traveler and do not know what it's like to work an 8 hour day in Boston, fight your way to Logan airport in rush hour, jump on a 100% full flight that may or may not depart at 6:55pm because it snows 9 months out of the year in Massachusetts, and arrives in Houston at 10pm. So, yeah, it is a freaken nightmare to have to walk another 20 minutes after that loaded up with a carry-on and laptop.

And, God, I can't believe I'm agreeing with MidtownCoog on something.

Yes, indeed you have the right to ASSUME anything you want. But your assumption would be wrong. I do indeed know that business travel can be a nightmare. I just think it's laughable to call a walk from your gate to the shuttle a nightmare (and I think you need to pick up the pace a little there buddy; I cannot imagine it has ever taken me 20 minues to make that walk). Fighting your way to Logan airport in rush hour, yes, that could be a nightmare. Flying on a 100% full flight can be annoying but I'd say less than nightmare status. Not knowing when or if you might make the flight because of weather etc. can certainly be a nightmare. But a walk from your gate? Get a grip, man. Would you really prefer having to change planes at a hub airport so that you can get to a smaller airport or smaller terminal in order to avoid your nightmare stroll? NOW, we're talking a nightmare... changing planes at a hub, especially late on a day when there are snowstorms around the country.

The facts of life are such that if you are arriving at a major hub airport (not just IAH), chances are pretty good that you might have a long walk from your gate. You guys living in Houston have the luxury of options. If the greatest nightmare of your life is the dreaded walk to the shuttle, quit yer whinin' and fly into Hobby or Terminal A. And here's another useful tool that many experienced business travelers use... carry-ons with WHEELS ;-)

You MIGHT have a reasonable argument that Terminal E should have had its own entrance/exit, but given the property and operational constraints, it's understandable that it does not. For one thing, the primary focus of the design of Terminal E is international arrivals - they of course go through the new FIS building.

Yes, indeed you have the right to ASSUME anything you want. But your assumption would be wrong. I do indeed know that business travel can be a nightmare. I just think it's laughable to call a walk from your gate to the shuttle a nightmare (and I think you need to pick up the pace a little there buddy; I cannot imagine it has ever taken me 20 minues to make that walk). Fighting your way to Logan airport in rush hour, yes, that could be a nightmare. Flying on a 100% full flight can be annoying but I'd say less than nightmare status. Not knowing when or if you might make the flight because of weather etc. can certainly be a nightmare. But a walk from your gate? Get a grip, man. Would you really prefer having to change planes at a hub airport so that you can get to a smaller airport or smaller terminal in order to avoid your nightmare stroll? NOW, we're talking a nightmare... changing planes at a hub, especially late on a day when there are snowstorms around the country.

The facts of life are such that if you are arriving at a major hub airport (not just IAH), chances are pretty good that you might have a long walk from your gate. You guys living in Houston have the luxury of options. If the greatest nightmare of your life is the dreaded walk to the shuttle, quit yer whinin' and fly into Hobby or Terminal A. And here's another useful tool that many experienced business travelers use... carry-ons with WHEELS ;-)

You MIGHT have a reasonable argument that Terminal E should have had its own entrance/exit, but given the property and operational constraints, it's understandable that it does not. For one thing, the primary focus of the design of Terminal E is international arrivals - they of course go through the new FIS building.

You know what Matt Foley, you're right! The next time Continental drops me off at gate E20 at 10pm when they could have just as easily parked at gate E1 since it's 10pm and no other planes are in sight, I'm just gonna turn my frown upside down and pick up the pace just like you say. You're such a motivator.

Now go back to your van by the river and leave me to my dislike of Terminal E.

You know what Matt Foley, you're right! The next time Continental drops me off at gate E20 at 10pm when they could have just as easily parked at gate E1 since it's 10pm and no other planes are in sight, I'm just gonna turn my frown upside down and pick up the pace just like you say. You're such a motivator.

Now go back to your van by the river and leave me to my dislike of Terminal E.

You are obviously determined to be unhappy (and I'm not just referring to Terminal E). It's a shame you are intent on spreading your bile.

You are obviously determined to be unhappy (and I'm not just referring to Terminal E). It's a shame you are intent on spreading your bile.

Wait a minute, that's enough with the passive aggression dude. First of all, you were the one that started it. All I said was I felt the terminal can be a nightmare, which is an allusion by the way. The next thing I know you are bashing me with "whaa whaa's", and then all of a sudden I am spreading bile? Look again at the thread, show me the point where I started bashing you before you started bashing me.

Dude, just because everyone stuck up for you against Coog in the park thread doesn't give you free run on everyone that doesn't agree with your rosy view of the airport. I said iy once and I'll say it a final time. IT IS MY PERCEPTION OF THE TERMINAL. Sorry you don't agree, can we move on please?

Wait a minute, that's enough with the passive aggression dude. First of all, you were the one that started it. All I said was I felt the terminal can be a nightmare, which is an allusion by the way. The next thing I know you are bashing me with "whaa whaa's", and then all of a sudden I am spreading bile? Look again at the thread, show me the point where I started bashing you before you started bashing me.

Dude, just because everyone stuck up for you against Coog in the park thread doesn't give you free run on everyone that doesn't agree with your rosy view of the airport. I said iy once and I'll say it a final time. IT IS MY PERCEPTION OF THE TERMINAL. Sorry you don't agree, can we move on please?

Goodness, unhappy and with a temper too. Who woulda thunk it? Speaking of passive-aggressive...

(1) Who said anything about bashing? I did not accuse you of bashing. Nor do I think I did any bashing. The reference to your spreading bile was about your negative posts that have nothing to contribute, except to try to spread your unhappiness. You demonstrate you are clearly not attempting to contribute to a mutually beneficial conversation by your statements to the effect that you are impenetrable to facts or argument or reasoning. (And we've seen you say this in other threads as well.) (And you have certainly demonstrated that you are indeed impenetrable.) Why would you waste your time here if you are so insistent on being impenetrable, if not to just spread your unhappiness? Fair presumption, no?

(2) You tell us that your statement that "the terminal can be a nightmare" was an "allusion". An allusion to what? That does not even make sense. Perhaps you meant illusion? ;-)

A little perspective, please. That's all I'm saying. If a walk from the gate to the shuttle indeed ranks as a "nightmare" in your life, you must have lived one pampered comfortable life indeed. ;-)

Here's another interesting bit of information about Bush IAH. It is the USA's 7th largest international passenger gateway.

I believe the only larger international passenger gateways are JFK (NYC), LAX (Los Angeles), Chicago O'Hare, Newark Liberty, Miami, and San Francisco.

Goodness, unhappy and with a temper too. Who woulda thunk it? Speaking of passive-aggressive...

(1) Who said anything about bashing? I did not accuse you of bashing. Nor do I think I did any bashing. The reference to your spreading bile was about your negative posts that have nothing to contribute, except to try to spread your unhappiness. You demonstrate you are clearly not attempting to contribute to a mutually beneficial conversation by your statements to the effect that you are impenetrable to facts or argument or reasoning. (And we've seen you say this in other threads as well.) (And you have certainly demonstrated that you are indeed impenetrable.) Why would you waste your time here if you are so insistent on being impenetrable, if not to just spread your unhappiness? Fair presumption, no?

(2) You tell us that your statement that "the terminal can be a nightmare" was an "allusion". An allusion to what? That does not even make sense. Perhaps you meant illusion? ;-)

A little perspective, please. That's all I'm saying. If a walk from the gate to the shuttle indeed ranks as a "nightmare" in your life, you must have lived one pampered comfortable life indeed. ;-)

Yes, I meant allusion. Anyway, I asked if we could move on, but you don't want to. I'm sorry.

Yes, I meant allusion. Anyway, I asked if we could move on, but you don't want to. I'm sorry.

LOL So move on with yourself already. (I guess you're impenetrable to dictionary defintions too.)