Houston House At 1617 Fannin St.

WesternGulf

Apparently not if you drive through the exit

What kind of stupid comment was that? :rolleyes:

Or was that a lame attempt at trolling?

APPARENTLY you CAN'T drive through the exit,

seeing as to how:

A) The exit is a one way, two story ramp with an electronic gate that closes after a car exits and

B ) whoever found you parked in their assigned spot would report you and your car would be towed immediately. And this is all IF you were somehow able to drive OVER or THROUGH the car coming down the ramp and "drive through the exit" gate on time.

That sign has been there since at least 91. I had a buddy that lived on the 18th floor from 88 to 92, who I regularly visited, and the sign was in place then. Certainly it wouldn't apply to a baseball game since Minute Maid wasn't in existance then.

That sign has been there since at least 91. I had a buddy that lived on the 18th floor from 88 to 92, who I regularly visited, and the sign was in place then. Certainly it wouldn't apply to a baseball game since Minute Maid wasn't in existance then.

That sign hasn't been there since "at least 91" so you must have been hallucinating. I just spoke with Debra whose worked at Houston House for EIGHTEEN years and she told me the sign wasn't put up until after Enron Field/MMP was completed so CERTAINLY IT DOES APPLY to apply to people going to baseball and basketball games as that was the managements intention.

Also, typical lazy Houstonians. Too lazy to walk or take the train ;-)

Oh come on tubby, like you would walk from Houston House to MMP in the dead heat of a humid Houston summer.

I bet you only leave the air conditioning of your skyscraper during the day under protest and stay in the tunnels like a mole. :P

That sign hasn't been there since "at least 91" so you must have been hallucinating. I just spoke with Debra whose worked at Houston House for EIGHTEEN years and she told me the sign wasn't put up until after Enron Field/MMP was completed so CERTAINLY IT DOES APPLY to apply to people going to baseball and basketball games as that was the managements intention.

I knew Deborah from back in the day and i can tell you that she's wrong. In fact she used to join us for the wine tasting classes they used to have in the lobby.

Anyway, I know for a fact that sign was up in 91 as my buddy Mike and I had a coversation about it while he was moving out.

I knew Deborah from back in the day and i can tell you that she's wrong.

Yea, I think I'll go with the facts from the Houston House staff instead of the story from someone who was a friend of someone who lived in the building for a couple of years a long time ago.

Yea, I think I'll go with the facts from the Houston House staff instead of the story from someone who was a friend of someone who lived in the building for a couple of years a long time ago.

I'd probably go with the guy who spends less time posting unfunny pictures through out the forum.

Off topic but still on the Houston House, have they started the renovations that were talked about a few months ago in the Chron?

No. Condos don't make sense anymore and that was what had been planned.

I would peg the probability of renovations starting sometime in 2009 as being 'very high' (>90%) but as rental apartments, and certainly not done by the same people that were talking about it in the article you mentioned.

Edited by TheNiche

No. Condos don't make sense anymore and that was what had been planned.

I would peg the probability of renovations starting sometime in 2009 as being 'very high' (>90%) but as rental apartments, and certainly not done by the same people that were talking about it in the article you mentioned.

I think the previous poster is referring to a different article than the Niche is referring to. There was an article in the Chronicle near the end of last year stating that the Houston House had been sold and would remain a rental building, but it would be remodeled with new windows, exterior paint, and upgraded common areas.

Update: the article is here: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/5270371.html

Edited by jdbaker

I think the previous poster is referring to a different article than the Niche is referring to. There was an article in the Chronicle near the end of last year stating that the Houston House had been sold and would remain a rental building, but it would be remodeled with new windows, exterior paint, and upgraded common areas.

Update: the article is here: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/5270371.html

Oh, I was thinking of a GlobeSt.com article.

But the building has not been sold, is not (yet) under contract to sell, and the firm mentioned in that article is not going to buy it.

Oh, I was thinking of a GlobeSt.com article.

But the building has not been sold, is not (yet) under contract to sell, and the firm mentioned in that article is not going to buy it.

Do you have any other info to share (or info that you cannot share)?

• 2 months later...

I just moved back to Houston after being away for nearly four years, and this website has been just about the most interesting thing I've seen in a long time . . .

I'm considering living in the Houston House Apartments, and I wanted to get a second opinion from Houston's most knowledgeable building forum. I really liked the apartment, but I'm concerned about the negative reviews on apartmentratings.com. Now, I know how things go on apartmentratings -- there are maybe 10% of properties that end up with a positive rating, so I'm well aware you have to take it all with a big grain of salt. However, the complaints seemed very reasonable, and fairly well thought-out . . . people complain about plumming issues, air conditioning not working (this concerns me a lot), shady tenants, and bug problems. I really wanted to live here, but I'm thinking maybe I should go in another direction. This would be a perfect fit for me, but I'm just very nervous about it -- like this could either be a big success, or an unmitigated disaster.

I've also considered buying something, but I'm just not comfortable doing that right now, until I'm a little better settled in Houston. Does anyone live at Houston House right now, or have any good feedback?

THANKS!!!