Where was the Kirby theater location? For the life of me I can't remember that one.

Kirby Theater was located at 911 Main, opened in 1927. In one picture, it's shown across the street from the Metropolitan & the Loews State. It's classified as one of the "Main Three", in the book Cinema Houston. Great book, BTW, priceless pics.

• Like 1

Kirby Theater was located at 911 Main, opened in 1927. In one picture, it's shown across the street from the Metropolitan & the Loews State. It's classified as one of the "Main Three", in the book Cinema Houston. Great book, BTW, priceless pics.

Interesting. I've been to both the Metropolitan & the Loews but never the Kirby. Does the book say when it closed?

• Like 1

Interesting. I've been to both the Metropolitan & the Loews but never the Kirby. Does the book say when it closed?

Wow, wish I could have seen them, my mom did. The Kirby Theater was sold to McKinney Avenue Realty Co. in 1956, stood for 29 yrs, torn down to enlarge the First City National Bank :o:angry2:source: Cinema Houston (p.81).

How anyone could destroy such beautiful things astounds me.

Says it had air-conditioning (a new feature for that time period), was designed "simple but refined" in Adams Colonial style, was first Houston theater to have Saturday morning kids shows. I must say that the descriptions of these palaces that D. Wellings book provides is extremely detailed, tells the color-scheme of many interiors. He really did his homework.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Kirby Theatre At 911 Main St.
  • 1 year later...