Fu-Kim Grand Palace At 2615 Fannin St.

CSOM

The giant restaurant/ballroom complex at McGown/San Jac seems to have some activity. There is a lot more boarded up and a new fence around the building seemed to appear. Anyone have any insights? Seems like it could be a good location and a spark for that side of the tracks.

• Like 1

Are those "Asian action scenes" (for lack of a better word) stamped in brass (faux?) still on the metal fence? It's like old school anime.

They are cool and could not have been cheap.

Hope they keep them or at least give me one for my backyard.

This building also has a Fallout Shelter sign, unless somebody already snagged it.

Are those "Asian action scenes" (for lack of a better word) stamped in brass (faux?) still on the metal fence? It's like old school anime.

They are cool and could not have been cheap.

Hope they keep them or at least give me one for my backyard.

This building also has a Fallout Shelter sign, unless somebody already snagged it.

Yes, that fence is still there, but there is a rental chain link around that fence now. The 2nd floor lobby/look-out over fanin is all broken out and is wide open now too.

Definately is being torn down. That is a great lot, and a great big space... I'm hopeful, but mostly just hopeful it's not a pharmacy or a branch bank... :blink:

I passed by the other day and went "Whhaaaaat"!

Never thought the day would come when that place closed and moved. It was always soooo packed and full of activity. Even though it used to be an office or bank or something, it still looked kind of glamourous and interesting from afar.

One night it was pictured on Jay Leno. He sued to do a once a week skit where viewers mail in news clippings with shocking or funny advertisements.

Leno said here is one from Houston, Texas.

Have you ever left a restaurant upset about the service and just said

"Ah just f..k em" Everyone busted out in laghter when they saw the name FUKIM emblazoned on thier sign outside.

I think of it every time i pass by there.

Even though it used to be an office or bank or something, it still looked kind of glamourous and interesting from afar.

in the late 80's it was the HESS club (houston engineering and scientific society). I remember IEEE (institute for electrical and electronics engineers) having student meetings there while i was in college. fukim was a small chinese place (similar to kim son). when kim son decided to expand, so did they.

Oddly enough, the eatery still appears on the internet.

2615 Fannin

All that's left is the synopsis of the place. Dim Sum mmmmmmm.....memories....

Located on the Southeast part of downtown, Fu Kim offers easy convenience to traditional Asian dining. Patrons can enjoy the daily lunch or dinner buffet or the daily dim sum. The restaurant is also available for private party bookings and catering. Property Information by Wcities

It is going to house the new san jose clinic. I work there, everyone is so excited about the building coming down.

Do you have any idea what the new facility will look like? Is there a website etc?

On a side note, I passed by the area Saturday Night and could not beleive how many homeless people are just hanging out nearby. Its getting real bad. I wasnt seeing ghosts people. The cops seemed to just keep going. :ph34r:

Do you have any idea what the new facility will look like? Is there a website etc?

On a side note, I passed by the area Saturday Night and could not beleive how many homeless people are just hanging out nearby. Its getting real bad. I wasnt seeing ghosts people. The cops seemed to just keep going. :ph34r:

I live near there, and the homeless situation isn't that bad. There are 2 bus routes that get a lot of traffic that you may have mistaken expecting riders for homelessness. There is also a shelter about a block away. If they are staying in the shelter, and just out walking, I'm not sure there is anything that can/should be done about that.

That does bring up a point for another conversation though: since the city is re-fencing under the pierce elevated with the intent to displace the homeless, where do they go and what does the city do with them then?

That does bring up a point for another conversation though: since the city is re-fencing under the pierce elevated with the intent to displace the homeless, where do they go and what does the city do with them then?

midtown and downtown are probably the best candidates. with the male hustling on the east side of midtown it is hard to figure out who's whom.

midtown and downtown are probably the best candidates. with the male hustling on the east side of midtown it is hard to figure out who's whom.

Take a drive (lock your doors) around this area later this week at night. 2400 San Jacinto/Fannin/Caroline/Mcilhenny and Hadley. I saw at least 15-20 people sleeping on the floor (waiting for the bus?) piles of clothing strewn about. Shopping carts and bags of junk. Then there were about 10 different men and what appeared to be women (drag) all flagging cars down for a good time. I could swear I saw RuPaul & Sha Nay Nay? As I said I only saw 1 cop car and it was empty. My 1st question would be who would be stupid enough to even consider offering one of these people a ride? :wacko:

I am not trying to insult local residents but its a reality. Now unless these were undercover cops (hustling) then, oh well. You get the picture. Local Nightclub owners have some real work ahead of them.

I am not trying to insult local residents but its a reality. Now unless these were undercover cops (hustling) then, oh well. You get the picture. Local Nightclub owners have some real work ahead of them.

Sha Nay Nay. LOL don't forget starkeisha and appreciante'.

the locals i know are irritated about the male hustling, which i was oblivious to until i was given the grand tour. it's the enforcement of minor crimes (or lack thereof) that determine citizens' attitudes about HPD.

There has got to be a soup kitchen or homeless shelter around there, because every time I drive by this area early in the morning (from the museum district to downtown along San Jacinto), there are tones of homeless people sanding around. I've seen it on several occasions. Any idea why they all hang out there? I drove by today around 7:00 am and there were tones of homeless people hanging out.

By the way I saw the building coming down... very dramatic to see just a few pieces of the structure remaining. I'd love to know more about the clinic that is replacing it.

There has got to be a soup kitchen or homeless shelter around there, because every time I drive by this area early in the morning (from the museum district to downtown along San Jacinto), there are tones of homeless people sanding around. I've seen it on several occasions. Any idea why they all hang out there? I drove by today around 7:00 am and there were tones of homeless people hanging out.

By the way I saw the building coming down... very dramatic to see just a few pieces of the structure remaining. I'd love to know more about the clinic that is replacing it.

I was just going to say since you had just passed by Pierce/Milam area surely you were smack in the middle of this scene (above) too. Now is when a camera would have come in handy as others say we exaggerate the hustling atmosphere just blocks away. Its Friday night should be a real party just kicking in to high gear! Look out for Ms Thing sporting them high heels and all.

I was on San Jacinto where I saw all of the homeless. I didn't see any near Pierce and Milam. I think the people I saw were waiting for breakfast, because I only see them early in the am.

The only place I have seen a large congregation of homeless during the day is behind Minute Maid Park just past the 59.

Well I have lived near Hermann park for exactly one year and I don't notice much of a difference in homeless. If it is worse, it still isn't bad enough to bother me. I am pretty sure I wouldn't be comfortable walking in midtown down San Jacinto at 7 am when the crowds are there though.

I always wondered if the fish being served on the buffet table were from that aqarium up front with the albino looking fish in it. We always got a kick out of talking a vendor into taking us to lunch there just to see his reaction when he read the overhead sign "Fu-Kim"!

I always wondered if the fish being served on the buffet table were from that aqarium up front with the albino looking fish in it. We always got a kick out of talking a vendor into taking us to lunch there just to see his reaction when he read the overhead sign "Fu-Kim"!

At the time of the restaurants popularity there were so many similar ones nearby I never bothered to stop here. This place seemd so crowded I would keep going. Someone mentioned it also seemed like mafia underground types hung out there. Sure looked like it. Not to stray but this area was becoming a sort of mafiosi kind of a hood. I dont mean Sicilian mob either. I worked with 1 or 2 persons that confirmed rumors. Most of that activity shifted to Bellaire area as these places closed here and moved. :ph34r: (Hope no feet are sticking out of the old pavement)

Back to topic!

• 2 weeks later...