1040 W Cavalcade St

IntheKnowHouston

1040 W Cavalcade St was home to Hoke Poke, a poke restaurant from the operators of Wokker. In recent years, LaMacro and Mam's Snoballs operated here.

Coming soon to 1040 W Calvacade is Supreme Gumbo. 

Supreme Gumbo serves Louisiana Creole and Southern fare. There are also Creole and Mexican fusion menu items like gumbo quesadillas. Supreme Gumbo gained a following in the First Ward several years ago, operating out of a gas station. A few years later, Supreme Gumbo launched a food truck. Calvacade will their first brick-and-mortar location.

The restaurant announced their plans last evening on Facebook:

3 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Mam's Snoballs operated here.

Just the other day, I was reminiscing of the days before everything blew up in the Heights and remembered getting ice snoballs from the truck on 20th and Rutland and could not remember the name.  I miss Mam's Snoballs and getting the tomato and goat cheese sandwich at Crickets.  

22 hours ago, s3mh said:

Just the other day, I was reminiscing of the days before everything blew up in the Heights and remembered getting ice snoballs from the truck on 20th and Rutland and could not remember the name.  I miss Mam's Snoballs and getting the tomato and goat cheese sandwich at Crickets.  

Ah yes, the original Mam's. I believe they changed ownership before they moved to the Cavalcade location. It was never as good as when it was still in the trailer at 20th and Rutland. My signpost for "before everything blew up in the Heights" is when Kaldi Cafe was still in operation on 19th. Those who are only familiar with 19th as it currently is might have trouble believing how sleepy it was back in the 90s.

Hopefully the new gumbo place will do well. I don't think there's been a single restaurant that has managed to succeed at that location. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Ah yes, the original Mam's. I believe they changed ownership before they moved to the Cavalcade location. It was never as good as when it was still in the trailer at 20th and Rutland. My signpost for "before everything blew up in the Heights" is when Kaldi Cafe was still in operation on 19th. Those who are only familiar with 19th as it currently is might have trouble believing how sleepy it was back in the 90s.

Hopefully the new gumbo place will do well. I don't think there's been a single restaurant that has managed to succeed at that location. 

Don't get me started on when Lights in the Heights was just a few hundred people.  And I will see your Kaldi Cafe and raise you a Beer Island.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
3 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Supreme Gumbo closed its first stand-alone restaurant this week. Located in the Heights area, the eatery was operated at 1040 W Calvacade St.

Wish I could say this was a bummer but everything that has been at this spot has been less than good and the build outs of the space have been tragic. Hoping someone with a bit more experience and polish can get this land and do something of value with it.

• Like 1

Went there during their soft opening and thought it was pretty good. Not sure what happened but they never seemed to have much of a crowd there. They were friendly folks, hopefully they can leverage the lessons learned from this location into a new venture. 

The food may have been good but the design concept was terrible. Anytime someone decides to paint a palm leaf roof, it's a recipe for disaster. Not to mention painting the thing black of all colors. The space just didn't seem inviting nor eye catching. I use to live down the street at Residence at the Heights. This part of town still has a ways to go. 

Food was good.  They made a bit of a splash on the internet with their gumbo tacos.  

Dining area inside was tiny.  Eating outside was just fine, but when you drive by you can't tell sometimes whether it is open or what is going on.  I think they would have done much better if they built out a better space on that lot and had a bar.  Seems like they had decent crowds when they had mudbugs.  

• Like 1

On Facebook people were giving feedback to the owners (they posted about their closure in the heights foodies group). Everyone agreed the food was super good and very creative, but they had strange hours (often closing the location if they were doing a pop up somewhere), and it was just too dang hot to eat gumbo outside for most of the year. Sounds like they intend to reopen somewhere else but it wasn't final yet.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Appears to be some sort of restaraunt/establishment going in here.

Pretty major changes, including the tearing down of the covered patio, and a liquor license application in the window. Haven't had the chance to read what liquor license sign says is going in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TXK said:

Looks like it'll be a bar called Heights Hideaway.

https://www.instagram.com/heights.hideaway

https://heightshideaway.com/

Thanks for the updates, @TXK and @sterp.

According to Heights Hideaway's website, this a cocktail bar from the owners behind The Post / The Post Beer & Wine Garden in the Sunset Heights neighborhood (6417 N Main St).

Looking forward to Heights Hideaway's completed renovations at 1040 W Cavalcade.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

22 hours ago, sterp said:

Appears to be some sort of restaraunt/establishment going in here.

Pretty major changes, including the tearing down of the covered patio, and a liquor license application in the window. Haven't had the chance to read what liquor license sign says is going in.

There is a 311 report for 1040 W Cavalcade St. Someone reported unpermitted work on the building. Looking through the permit database, there isn't a building permit or any kind of permit for current renovations.

According to @TXK, the building will soon house a cocktail bar named Heights Hideaway.

t0rOJRF.jpg

On 2/16/2024 at 5:54 PM, TXK said:

Looks like it'll be a bar called Heights Hideaway.

https://www.instagram.com/heights.hideaway

https://heightshideaway.com/

On 2/16/2024 at 7:09 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

According to Heights Hideaway's website, this a cocktail bar from the owners behind The Post / The Post Beer & Wine Garden in the Sunset Heights neighborhood (6417 N Main St).

Looking forward to Heights Hideaway's completed renovations at 1040 W Cavalcade.

Houston Food Finder published an article today about Heights Hideaway. According to the article, the cocktail bar aims to open this summer at 1040 W Cavalcade St.

Heights Hideaway is the latest concept from the owners of The Post, the beer and wine garden at 6417 North Main St.

Details about the bar's design:

Much of the design is coming from Rebecca, who has been cultivating this “old world eclectic vibe” by utilizing a collection of upcycled and repurposed materials as well as eye-catching pieces such as “beautiful doors imported from the Mediterranean found at Saltaire Architectural Antiques, and a front door from Architectural Salvage Warehouse in Galveston...

https://houstonfoodfinder.com/bars/bar-openings/heights-restaurant-and-wine-bar-owners-set-to-open-a-new-hideaway/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

On 2/15/2024 at 8:53 PM, sterp said:

Appears to be some sort of restaurant/establishment going in here.

A photo of Heights Hideaway's forthcoming digs at 1040 West Cavalcade St.

The bar' owners provided the photo to Houston Food Finder.

ONRfJly.jpeg

On 2/16/2024 at 7:14 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

There is a 311 report for 1040 W Cavalcade St. Someone reported unpermitted work on the building. Looking through the permit database, there isn't a building permit or any kind of permit for current renovations.

According to @TXK, the building will soon house a cocktail bar named Heights Hideaway.

t0rOJRF.jpg

An inspector visited 1040 W Cavalcade St recently (i think today) due to a 311 report. The site is the forthcoming home for cocktail bar Heights Hideaway.

According to the note on the 311 report, the site received a red tag for work without a permit.

Below are the notes from the report:

H51 on site visit for complaint construction without permit. Upon arrival on site walked the property the gate was open in the parking lot and observed worker on site was working inside the building and there were construction materials on the found. The outside of the building workers were installing irrigation system. There is a door on the front side of the building that was closed off.  H51 enter the building and could see that there was construction going on inside.  At time of visit met property owner and explained the reason for my visit.  H51 explained to him for all work been under construction must obtain different trades permit. Posted first red tag to stop all work and obtain remodeling permit. Follow up schedule.

https://houston311.powerappsportals.us/en-US/checkcasestatus/casedetail/?id=e335ed6b-7acc-ee11-9079-001dd80b3e11

1 hour ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

An inspector visited 1040 W Cavalcade St recently (i think today) due to a 311 report. The site is the forthcoming home for cocktail bar Heights Hideaway.

According to the note on the 311 report, the site received a red tag for work without a permit.

Below are the notes from the report:

H51 on site visit for complaint construction without permit. Upon arrival on site walked the property the gate was open in the parking lot and observed worker on site was working inside the building and there were construction materials on the found. The outside of the building workers were installing irrigation system. There is a door on the front side of the building that was closed off.  H51 enter the building and could see that there was construction going on inside.  At time of visit met property owner and explained the reason for my visit.  H51 explained to him for all work been under construction must obtain different trades permit. Posted first red tag to stop all work and obtain remodeling permit. Follow up schedule.

https://houston311.powerappsportals.us/en-US/checkcasestatus/casedetail/?id=e335ed6b-7acc-ee11-9079-001dd80b3e11

A plan reviewing permit was purchased today for 1040 W Cavalcade St.

Details from the permits:

• Use: Remodel, restaurant
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration 

The permit is for forthcoming cocktail bar Heights Hideaway.

gthzzo8.png