Flagship Hotel Galveston At 2501 Seawall Blvd.

lwood

I'm not a big fan of chain restaurant developers, but I would like to see the property cleaned up, and returned to it's roots. That rendering is a really good one. Even without a hotel, it's a nice idea. But they better get some good insurance, if they proceed. That Flagship has been nasty looking, for years. Would be nice to see it go.

Oh, they are going to keep the hotel, and restore it. I think just a restaurant would be nice.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought a pool on the roof would have been much more cool, with another attraction at the end of the pier, but that's just me.

This view would be awsome from a lit pool and cabana on a warm summer night/day (actual views from the Flagship hotel)...

2567478483_c619510aba.jpg

48953800.jpg

Wow! That last pic makes the Galveston surf look like the Amalfi Coast. Photoshop rules!

This is one instance where I can't hate on Tilman. The important thing is bringing back the hotel.

Yup. For as much as I despise Kemah, if he pulls this off, I will tip my hat to him. This is what the Flagship used to be, and this is what it needs to come back. I wish him luck.

Blue water and white sands in Galveston? blink.gif

That's phase II of the Flagship rebuild. After the hotel and pier have been fixed, and all sorts of cool doodads put in, Fertitta's going to pull all the silt out of the Gulf water.

I'm not saying Fertitta is God, but I think it's self-evident he's at least god-like.

That's phase II of the Flagship rebuild. After the hotel and pier have been fixed, and all sorts of cool doodads put in, Fertitta's going to pull all the silt out of the Gulf water.

I'm not saying Fertitta is God, but I think it's self-evident he's at least god-like.

Actually guys this is not a photoshop. Sometimes the water IS this color, though very,VERY rare.

Galveston Oh Galveston

Actually guys this is not a photoshop. Sometimes the water IS this color, though very,VERY rare.

http://www.flickr.co...e57/2420691172/

This may sound far fetched and a bit like an easily dismissed conspiracy theory, but hear me out. I have the understanding Galveston used to have bluer waters for a long time. What changed was that so many Gulf waterways from the Mississippi River to Brays Bayou were concreted, causing silt which would have normally settled along the waterway banks to float out into the Gulf. The brown isn't caused by garbage. It's caused by silt. Had the silt had the opportunity to settle before making it into the Gulf, it would have. But, it didn't. The only place to go was the Gulf, and as a result now Galveston has brown, dirty-looking water.

I actually saw Galveston water with a very clear-green color one time. It wasn't it's usual murky brown color. Was a couple of yrs. ago, in the spring/ early summer months, was still a little cool outside. My sister & I grew up going to nasty Galveston, we actually were out in the water, and on the beach, not believing it. Figured it had something to do with the weather, recent rain, and/ or movement of water into the Gulf, or tides. Was very unusual.

• 7 months later...

I actually saw Galveston water with a very clear-green color one time. It wasn't it's usual murky brown color. Was a couple of yrs. ago, in the spring/ early summer months, was still a little cool outside. My sister & I grew up going to nasty Galveston, we actually were out in the water, and on the beach, not believing it. Figured it had something to do with the weather, recent rain, and/ or movement of water into the Gulf, or tides. Was very unusual.

There are at least 30 to 40 days of blue water in Galveston annualy. As a fisherman you learn to wait for the Southeast winds to blow for at least 3 or 4 days, which brings in the blue water, which brings in the Specs. In other words, you have to have a strong Southeast winds for a number of days for the blue water to make it to shore.

As a fisherman you learn to wait for the Southeast winds to blow for at least 3 or 4 days, which brings in the blue water, which brings in the Specs.

I thought we already had a Spec's downtown... :)

• 2 months later...

I don't see the logic in rebuilding a hotel that sits on the wrong side of the seawall...especially after the recent hurricane destruction.

I was in Galveston a couple of weeks ago for the first time since the hurricane hit, and thought I saw new construction activity, a big crane, not a wrecking ball on the west side of the Flagship.

PS - the link above doesn't work.

You have to be a subscriber to the Galveston Daily News to read the online edition. I have heard the Flagship will be torn down and a Coney Island type boardwalk will go up, similar I'm sure to Seabrook.  Might as well. That hotel was in bad shape before the storm. 

You have to be a subscriber to the Galveston Daily News to read the online edition. I have heard the Flagship will be torn down and a Coney Island type boardwalk will go up, similar I'm sure to Seabrook. Might as well. That hotel was in bad shape before the storm.

Actually, thats incorrect, you don't have to be a subscriber. However it does appear their website is currently down, which is why the link won't load.

Actually, thats incorrect, you don't have to be a subscriber.  However it does appear their website is currently down, which is why the link won't load.

That must have been it because when I went to their home page earlier it said I must be a subscriber to view the content but it all comes up now. 

• 2 weeks later...

I drive by here every day, and there is always some minor activity going on. They're reconnected a small ramp so trucks can access the pier (I saw one driving down the ramp off the pier when I was stopped at the traffic light today), and there are always a couple of pickup trucks doing something up there. Not sure if they're just clearing debris (there are some big dumpsters full of trash as well) or something else. I guess if the plans for redevelopment aren't official yet they can't be doing anything terribly important.

In other news, the Joe's Crab Shack a few blocks away is being demolished and rebuilt as a larger building. Supposedly it will only take 4 months.

http://galvestondail...om/story/174230

I drive by here every day, and there is always some minor activity going on. They're reconnected a small ramp so trucks can access the pier (I saw one driving down the ramp off the pier when I was stopped at the traffic light today), and there are always a couple of pickup trucks doing something up there. Not sure if they're just clearing debris (there are some big dumpsters full of trash as well) or something else. I guess if the plans for redevelopment aren't official yet they can't be doing anything terribly important.

In other news, the Joe's Crab Shack a few blocks away is being demolished and rebuilt as a larger building. Supposedly it will only take 4 months.

http://galvestondail...om/story/174230

The Joe's Crab Shack building is not an architecturally significant building, but it does have some trivia attached to it. The building, on Seawall and 37th St, was built in the early 1960's by Hill's Seafood, a fairly popular family seafood restuarant during the 40's and 50's. Moving the restuarant into this larger building provided a spacious dining room and convenient parking for their customers. It also allowed the restaurant to operate a car hop service for awhile. The smaller location, that they vacated on 14th and Seawall was soon reopenned by an enterprising entrepeneur, calling it "The Original Hill's Seafood Restaurant". The Hill family filed a lawsuit against the new restaurant, but lost. Both seawall restaurants operated successfully for several years. The Hill's also operated a restaurant at Pier 21, next door to their seafood market.

Landry's bought the Hill's location on 37th street sometime ago after it had closed.

The Joe's Crab Shack building is not an architecturally significant building, but it does have some trivia attached to it. The building, on Seawall and 37th St, was built in the early 1960's by Hill's Seafood, a fairly popular family seafood restuarant during the 40's and 50's. Moving the restuarant into this larger building provided a spacious dining room and convenient parking for their customers. It also allowed the restaurant to operate a car hop service for awhile. The smaller location, that they vacated on 14th and Seawall was soon reopenned by an enterprising entrepeneur, calling it "The Original Hill's Seafood Restaurant". The Hill family filed a lawsuit against the new restaurant, but lost. Both seawall restaurants operated successfully for several years. The Hill's also operated a restaurant at Pier 21, next door to their seafood market.

Landry's bought the Hill's location on 37th street sometime ago after it had closed.

Interesting story, and a sad one for the Hills. My family always went to the family restaurant located at 1502 Seawall Blvd, late 1960's, maybe. Had those huge picture windows w/ booths, for a view of the water. It was always packed. I thought it was called Hill's. Makes me hungry for a fried shrimp platter. Looks like the Salt Grass Steakhouse is there now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- Demolition work is in full swing in Galveston as the historic Flagship Hotel is being torn apart piece by piece. But now there are accusations that some of those pieces, including large chunks of glass, are actually falling into the water and possibly endangering beachgoers

http://abclocal.go.c...ocal&id=7989282

Archived