Flagship Hotel Galveston At 2501 Seawall Blvd.

lwood

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has to kick the current tenant out first.

Actually, I think he has to BUY the current tenant out. Fertitta lost his lawsuit that the current tenant violated his lease. Unless it was overturned on appeal, that leaves a buyout or expiration of the lease as the only options. I think the lease runs to 2030 or so.

• 2 months later...
For personal reasons, I hope that hotel and its pier crumble into the Gulf of Mexico. I give them the one-finger salute everytime I drive by.

Sorry to hear...Why is that...??? Can you disclosed what happened ..???

Sorry to hear...Why is that...??? Can you disclosed what happened ..???

Long story short, some friends and I got arrested there for "criminal trespassing" about 15 years ago. Although we weren't guests of the hotel, we were parked in their parking lot...same as the 10 carloads of fishermen right next to us. However, we had a surfboard with us. As we were backing out of the parking spot to leave, a Galveston police car pulled up behind us, blocking us in. We were arrested and taken to jail for criminal trespass...but none of the fishermen were.

We bailed ourselves out of jail that evening and went to court the next morning to defend ourselves in court. The Flagship employee there claimed that we were warned several times to leave, and that the police had been called. Both of those statements were untrue...we were never asked to leave at any time, nor did anyone warn us that the police were on their way. They also claimed that they had a sign posted at the entrance to the parking lot warning that no surfboards were allowed. That's true, there was a sign there AFTER we were bailed out of jail...a handwritten sign on construction paper, taped up at the entrance. The sign was not there when we pulled in. The Flagship employee (who identified herself as the manager) also testified that she was working the front desk when we pulled into the parking lot and that she could positively identify each of us as the people who pulled into the parking lot. She must have been one eagle-eyed lady to have identified three people inside a car in the split-second that we passed by the front door of the hotel.

Basically, it was the word of the Flagship (big $$$ maker in Galveston) versus the word of three young college students from Houston. Despite being under oath, the Flagship employee told a number of blatant lies to the judge. Despite our protests, we were found guilty. Not a big deal, financially...our fines were $120 each (although that was about two months worth of entertainment expense for me at the time).

After my one and only experience there, though, I have ZERO respect for the Flagship Hotel.

we stayed there several years ago & it was in horrible shape--rusty fixtures, creaky elevators & rude employees

It's still like that. I went in a couple of months after Rita and was in sad, sad shape. Quite a few people from Beaumont and Louisiana were staying there. The hallways reeked of urine, there was blood smeared on the elevator walls, and the carpet in the lobby was soaking wet from a dripping air conditioner. I'm not blaming the evacuees, on the contrary I think the hotel staff and managers have done a horrible job keeping that place up.

• 7 months later...
It's still like that. I went in a couple of months after Rita and was in sad, sad shape. Quite a few people from Beaumont and Louisiana were staying there. The hallways reeked of urine, there was blood smeared on the elevator walls, and the carpet in the lobby was soaking wet from a dripping air conditioner. I'm not blaming the evacuees, on the contrary I think the hotel staff and managers have done a horrible job keeping that place up.

It's really ashamed. The current owner has brain cancer, or claims to have, and is behind in IRS and sales tax payments. It took all of this lawsuit crap and Tillman Fertitta to rescue this site for future development, but for now Galveston has to put up with this pitiful place.

• 1 year later...

Someone should stay there for another night to see if it's still like that. If so, he or she needs to take photos and film videos of the place.

Someone should stay there for another night to see if it's still like that. If so, he or she needs to take photos and film videos of the place.

I stayed there last fall, in July or August as I recall; the evacuee population was gone. It was the crappiest hotel I've ever stayed in that was able to draw white middle-class families with children.

No blood on the walls, no urine smell, no wet carpet (that I noticed). It wasn't clear that the elevator was not going to plummet to the bottom of the shaft, break through the floor, and send its occupants straight to the beach, however. And various light fixtures were missing.

• 1 year later...

boy i dislike Landry's.... how can it be a "historical pier" if there wasn't any of that mess - rollar coaster etc before now?

If they thought the place in Kemah was hit bad... what about that place!

boy i dislike Landry's.... how can it be a "historical pier" if there wasn't any of that mess - rollar coaster etc before now?

If they thought the place in Kemah was hit bad... what about that place!

Everyone in Houston hates Landrys and fertita... :wacko:

• 2 months later...

Repairs, amusement rides planned for Flagship

By Laura Elder

The Daily News Published September 25, 2009

GALVESTON — Landry’s Restaurants Inc. said it plans to repair the storied Flagship Hotel, where today curtains billow out through shattered windows and tourists stop to photograph gaping holes torn in outer walls by Hurricane Ike a year ago.

Landry’s had said it would consider demolishing the hotel and developing a “pleasure pier” with amusement rides if a sale of the 44-year-old property fell through.

But island native and Landry’s CEO Tilman Fertitta will move ahead with plans he made years ago to improve the troubled hotel, officials said this week.

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=52c78399fa7b4021

Everyone I know who's met Fertitta has said he's a royal jerkoff. Too bad Joe's Crabshack has those great crab nachos.

I don't think Fertitta (i.e. Landry's) owns Joe's Crab Shacks any more.

• 1 month later...

Landry's announces Flagship plans

Landry’s unveils plans for Flagship

By Leigh Jones

The Daily News

Published October 29, 2009

GALVESTON — Officials with Landry’s Restaurants are planning to restore the Flagship Hotel and bring amusement rides back to the historic pier...

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=0f804b56d5183b76

An artist’s concept of what Landry’s pleasure pier at the Flagship Hotel will look like evokes the island’s pleasure piers of the past with a Ferris wheel and a carousel.

1029_LOC_Flagship-render.jpg

260xStory.jpg

Archived