903 Hutchins St

903 Hutchins St is situated next to Herrin Lofts at 2205 McKinney St in EaDo. It's also across the street from PNC Stadium (formerly BBVA Compass Stadium). 

I don't know if this is part of Herrin Lofts or not. If it is, merge with the topic for the loft, please.

Map of 903 Hutchins St.

UYCo5zx.jpg

JMO5sac.jpg

Google Maps May 2022

qxbeNJs.jpg

9EQbLSI.jpg

hu5UN8E.jpg

S6BzmCC.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

5 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I don't know who's involved with Tulum or much else about the bar.

Given the name, perhaps it will feature ritual human sacrifice with obsidian daggers. If you're going to dip your toes in the waters of Mayan cultural appropriation in the service of hipster craft cocktails, you'd better come up with something more compelling than pickleball and cornhole. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

A bar or a bar & grill named Tulum leased the former home of King's Court at 903 Hutchins.

I don't know who's involved with Tulum or much else about the bar.

https://www.instagram.com/tulumhtx

I spoke to the owner (really cool guy) in July and if I recall correctly he said is stepping back and letting his partner (not sure if he’s a new partner) take over. From what I remember he’s doing some Latin/Pakistan fusion here. This could all be out of date info by now but that’s what he told me at the time. 

11 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

If you're going to dip your toes in the waters of Mayan cultural appropriation in the service of hipster craft cocktails, you'd better come up with something more compelling than pickleball and cornhole. 

I get where you're coming from. It does seem, at least in the Houston area, anything pertaining to Tulum is the latest trend. I've noticed a few local businesses (brick-and-mortar, pop-ups, and e-commerce) selling Tulum-inspired goods. And on the dining and nightlife front, you have places like Casa Nomad (M-K-T), White Rhino (EaDo), and others providing Tulum-inspired vibes through the decor, food, and drinks.

12 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Given the name, perhaps it will feature ritual human sacrifice with obsidian daggers. If you're going to dip your toes in the waters of Mayan cultural appropriation in the service of hipster craft cocktails, you'd better come up with something more compelling than pickleball and cornhole. 

Perhaps they should play the Mayan ballgame of death at the stadium?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_Ballgame

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

PaperCity published a piece about Tulum / Tulum HTX yesterday. It's the first local media coverage I've noticed.

Tulum is a bar & grill located at 903 Hutchins in EaDo.

Some details about Tulum from the article:

"This new Houston restaurant is inspired in part by the stunning Mexican town situated on the Caribbean coastline of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula named Tulum, the site of an ancient pre-Colombian Mayan walled city. Tulum HTX is a 5,000-square-foot multi-level EaDo restaurant decorated with expansive photo murals, Aztec tiles and rattan decor."

https://www.papercitymag.com/restaurants/tulum-htx-new-houston-restaurant-opens-eado-mexican-food

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Went for dinner last night - food was good - drinks so-so.  They had sports on all the TVs but had extremely loud rap music playing - they eventually turned the volume down which helped a lot.  It is also a hookah bar so lots of smoke....

They said they haven't had their grand opening yet and are still working through the menu which only has limited items right now

IMG_0464

IMG_0463 IMG_0458

• Like 4

On 3/17/2023 at 4:36 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

Went for dinner last night - food was good - drinks so-so.  They had sports on all the TVs but had extremely loud rap music playing - they eventually turned the volume down which helped a lot.  It is also a hookah bar so lots of smoke....

They said they haven't had their grand opening yet and are still working through the menu which only has limited items right noW

Lost me at hookah 😢

On 3/17/2023 at 4:36 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

How do hookah bars get around the city ordinance banning smoking in indoor public spaces? Is it something like the "private club" loophole that some Heights establishments used to serve alcohol when the Heights was still dry? 

• 7 months later...
On 8/15/2022 at 8:31 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

King's Court, the sports bar and grill at 903 Hutchins closed. The space was listed for lease in March and recently unlisted.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/903-Hutchins-St-Houston-TX/22398541/

Heard from a neighbor (who spoke to the owner) that King's Court is opening back up in a few weeks.  The place has been closed for weeks so Tulum is definitely gone.. there's been activity the past several days so assuming that's for King's Court reopening. 

• Like 2