Sala Taqueria At 2002 Beall St.

hindesky

Proposed new plat. Loopnet shows it not listed anymore.

This whole area is lined with bars/clubs and several more under construction. Broadstone Beall is slated to go up just down the street. This is an old trailer park that I've ridden by several times and always wondered how long it would last at this ideal location. Owner is listed as Mosely Hill Country Group,Llc. and Timeline Construction is listed as the developer.

Edit: Looks to be the owner of the Creek Group of restaurants/bars.

iWMm32Y.png

https://timelinecg.com

1BQpbKN.pngc7iJwTO.png

xHzfwT7.png

8Z6xqiw.jpg

EU8Ucm6.png

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 1

Mosley Hill has owned that property since 2013. Most of it came from a purchase from the Baker estate with a loan of $867k, plus 205 square feet from one of the townhome lots to the North. I wonder what prompted that property transfer.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:36 AM, Ross said:

Mosley Hill has owned that property since 2013. Most of it came from a purchase from the Baker estate with a loan of $867k, plus 205 square feet from one of the townhome lots to the North. I wonder what prompted that property transfer.

Gary Mosely purchased nearby 2001 Beall St property a few years ago. A local hospitality group is leasing the property to open a bar named Tokyo Joe's Shot Bar. There's a thread about it here:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/48236-2001-beall-st

While it's possible Mosely could open another dining or bar concept under the Creek Group brand, it's also possible he's leased this this to another business.

Maybe the Leader will look into this for more details.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

• The title was changed to 2002 Beall St.

So I loathe the idea of 85 parking spots, BUT (and hear me out fellow haters of non-dense planning and design with an emphasis on cars as king) this whole area is a sea of bars and people so I am curious if the added pressure will make things easier for neighbors who no doubt have cars all up in their business.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2022 at 12:25 PM, hindesky said:

5CW2S2M.jpg

The public hearing for the variance request at 2002 Beall St was withdrawn at the Planning Commission's meeting in August.

Developers were seeking an allowance to replat a 205 sf portion of a lot into an unrestricted reserve. The request was filed by The Interfield Group, on behalf of Timeline Construction Group.

From documents submitted to the city of Houston Planning Commission:

"Beall Street development is located east of Beall Street, north of W 20th Street and west of N Durham Drive and south of W 22nd Street, along a mixed-use block face, with the majority being commercial. Subject property only contains 205 SF of Lot 4, Block 1, and this appears to have been due to a possible encroachment discovered after the plat of Beall at West 21 Street was recorded. It is unclear. The 2016 deed does not provide reason for the conveyance of this 205 SF but it is part of the overall boundary owned by the developer. If the land is not combined with the overall boundary, it will be landlocked and would not meet the subdivision ordinance." 

On 8/12/2022 at 5:24 PM, Urbannizer said:

It’ll be a 1-story structure set back from the street and surrounded by 85 parking spaces. Restaurant going in.

From the design plan included in materials submitted to the city of Houston's Planning Commission, a two-story structure is going up at 2002 Beall St.

A restaurant will occupy the first floor. Two bars are also planned for the first floor. The total square footage for the first floor is 6,508 sf, according to the site map. The restaurant / dining room portion will consist of 1905 sq ft.

The second floor is going to be a deck and bar. 1,360 is the total square footage for the second floor.

So, it seems this will be a bar & grill establishment. 

First Floor Area

A - Restaurant: 1,905 Sq. Ft.
B – Storage: 185 Sq. Ft.
C – Restrooms: 476 Sq. Ft.
D – Hallways: 401 Sq. Ft.
E – Kitchens: 940 Sq. Ft.
F - Stairs 1: 160 Sq. Ft.
G - Bar 2: 165 Sq. Ft.
H - Deck: 1898 Sq. Ft.
I - Stairs 2: 125 Sq. Ft.
J - Bar 1: 253 Sq. Ft.

Total First Floor Square Footage: 6,508 Sq. Ft.

Second Floor Deck Area

K - Deck+ Bar: 1,360 Sq. Ft

IMj7vOl.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

IMj7vOl.jpg

Jeez, 85 parking spots?? We sure this isn't going to be a car dealership .. I just don't understand, I really thought putting a business at the street level would be better exposure to the business than hiding it behind a sea of parking.  I'm over these type of developments, they're ruining the character of the heights, take that to Fulshear. 

Edited by Amlaham
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

Jeez, 85 parking spots?? We sure this isn't going to be a car dealership .. I just don't understand, I really thought putting a business at the street level would be better exposure to the business than hiding it behind a sea of parking.  I'm over these type of developments, they're ruining the character of the heights, take that to Fulshear. 

That's not the Heights at all, it's Shady Acres. It's also currently a trailer park that sits next to a body shop with lots of parking. The proposed development hardly ruins the character of the area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amlaham said:

You haven't driven over here on a Friday or Saturday night, have you? You should... it's actually sort of exciting to see the scene over there now. Houston's own Rainey Street District. Anyway, parking is insane and lines up and down the roads of 20th st. In fact, I won't be surprised if we see more parking lots over here. With no good transit options (I guess there's a bus but I doubt this crowd takes the bus), expect to see a lot more cars in the area.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Sala Taqueria at 2002 Beall St.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:48 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

While it's possible Mosely could open another dining or bar concept under the Creek Group brand, it's also possible he's leased this to another business.

10 hours ago, hindesky said:

Architect - https://www.interfield.net

deKiNnq.png
xo3xsyB.png

Thanks for posting.

So, the restaurant / bar & grill going up at 2002 Beall St is Sala Taqueria.

Combing through entity and corporation filings, the Shady Acres bar & grill is not a Creek Group concept. I kind of suspected it wasn't. The filings indicate Sala Taqueria is a concept from Romy Solanji of Timeline Construction Group. I didn't make the connection initially. 

Several months ago, documents submitted to the city's planning commission stated the variance request for 2002 Beall St was filed by The Interfield Group on behalf of Timeline Construction Group.

I don't know all the bars and restaurant Solanji previously owned. However, as some may recall, he was the co-owner of Dorisa. It was a short-lived, pretentious members-only wine bar and restaurant in the Upper Kirby area around 2011. Hopefully, Sala Taqueria will be more successful.

• The title was changed to Sala Taqueria At 2002 Beall St.
  • 2 months later...

Streeview images of 2002 Beall St. The property is the site of Baker Mobile Homes Park, a trailer park in Shady Acres.

Baker Mobile Homes Park will be demolished to make way for a restaurant or bar & grill built from the ground up. The name of the bar & grill is Sala Taqueria.

Beall St from May 2022 

eGPieso.jpg

6WMD1XM.jpg

n8hBHgn.jpg

Corner of Beall St and W 20th St from January 2023

1q1HA0i.jpg

HwnfvpG.jpg

W 20th St from January 2023

BngiKaH.jpg

4Ba8ORj.jpg

4DMydmm.jpg

8mJI2Hp.jpg

G1iyInM.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:04 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

From the design plan included in materials submitted to the city of Houston's Planning Commission, a two-story structure is going up at 2002 Beall St.

A restaurant will occupy the first floor. Two bars are also planned for the first floor. The total square footage for the first floor is 6,508 sf, according to the site map. The restaurant / dining room portion will consist of 1,905 sq ft.

The second floor is going to be a deck and bar. 1,360 is the total square footage for the second floor.

So, it seems this will be a bar & grill establishment. 

First Floor Area

A - Restaurant: 1,905 Sq. Ft.
B – Storage: 185 Sq. Ft.
C – Restrooms: 476 Sq. Ft.
D – Hallways: 401 Sq. Ft.
E – Kitchens: 940 Sq. Ft.
F - Stairs 1: 160 Sq. Ft.
G - Bar 2: 165 Sq. Ft.
H - Deck: 1898 Sq. Ft.
I - Stairs 2: 125 Sq. Ft.
J - Bar 1: 253 Sq. Ft.

Total First Floor Square Footage: 6,508 Sq. Ft.

Second Floor Deck Area

K - Deck+ Bar: 1,360 Sq. Ft

IMj7vOl.jpg

On 12/13/2022 at 4:20 PM, hindesky said:

Architect - https://www.interfield.net

deKiNnq.png
xo3xsyB.png

Below are select details pertaining to Sala Taqueria from building plans submitted to the city. The details were found in the plan review comments.

I think the plans are the same as the previous ones (I did a brief scan, so I may be wrong). Plans were provided to the city's planning department last year.

Sala Taqueria will be located at 2002 Beall St on the corner of W 20th St. The property is the site of Baker Mobile Homes Park, a trailer park in Shady Acres.

Baker Mobile Homes Park will be demolished to make way for the restaurant or bar & grill concept.

• Proposed: 7,868 sf new restaurant w/sitework improvement

• New restaurant: Sala Taqueria

• 2002 Beall St 
    Houston, TX 77008

• Sheet A-1

• 1st floor: 6,508 sf (restaurant, kitchen & bar)
    • 2nd floor: 1,360 sf (deck bar)
    • Total: 7,868 sf

• Sheet A-2 
    • Restaurant: 1,905 sf
    • Deck 1st floor: 1,898 sf
    • Deck 2nd floor: 1,360 sf
    • Bar 1 w/ 16 occupancy
    • Bar 2 w/ 14 occupancy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Plans for 2002 Beall St have yet to be approved for permitting.

Below is a screenshot of the plan review inspection report. The screenshot shows the progress made so far during the plan review.

As previously mentioned,  a bar & grill / restaurant concept by the name of Sala Taqueria will be located at 2002 Beall St. The property is currently the site of Baker Mobile Homes Park, a trailer park in Shady Acres.

Sala Taqueria is a concept from Romy Solanji of Timeline Construction Group. Solanji previously owned Dorisa, a short-lived, members-only wine bar and restaurant in the Upper Kirby area.

LWDFiDg.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A plumbing / sewer disconnect permit was filed today for 2002 Beall St.

Details from the permit:

• Use: Sewer disconnect
  • FCC Group: Not construction related

The property is currently the site of Baker Mobile Homes Park, a trailer park in Shady Acres. As previously mentioned,  a bar & grill / restaurant concept called Sala Taqueria is planned for the property.

0ZhBeI4.png

• Like 1

I drove past the site today. Plumber trucks were there and there were guys working on some drains. The site looks far worse than it did when people were living there. The mobile homes must all be 50+ years old. The fence is falling down as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...